classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Commer Cob 1958 series 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
IC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Commer Cob 1958 series 1 Reply with quote

Hi All,
I've recently bought one of these nifty little vans having been looking for some time and tossing a coin between a Cob and a Thames 300e, which are both fairly rare these days.

VYG 501 is more or less on the road, but when purchased new the owner didn't take out the optional extra of having an oil filter assembly fitted, just a blanking plate where it should be. The engine is the original numbers-matching 1390cc item, and luckily pretty low mileage. Has anyone any ideas on where I could get one?

Thanks in advance

Ian
D4B

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome here Ian,

The Commer van sounds very interesting, would be great to see some photos sometime.
Not sure about where to find your part,
is it the Oil Filter housing or complete engine you are looking for?

Confused Steve not far from you
IC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,
I'll post some photos when I've worked out how to do it! Thanks for the reply. The engine is fine, it's the oil filter & housing I'm after. I thought availability would be pretty good given that the 1390cc motor was used in a lot of Rootes vehicles of the time.
Penman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I would think that there is going to be some difference inside the engine.
The pump could be of a different pressure to cope with an external filter.
There will have to be a different pipe leading to the filter instead of straight to the oil galleries.
You may have to acquire an engine with an external filter in order to get those parts.
Have you contacted http://www.hillmanownersclub.co.uk/ ?
One of their members may have done the conversion.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Minxy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would certainly accept being told different but I find it hard to believe that an oil filter was an optional extra. Same engine as I have in my Minx by the way.
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Minxy. The oil filter on the 1390 is mounted on a casting separate from the cylinder block. The casting houses the oil pressure relief valve and the bypass valve for the filter. Without this cast you would not have any oil flow.

I assume your van still has this casting and you have a circular plate where the filter bowl should be. It shouldn't too difficult to find a bowl from a scrapped engine or failing that I would suspect that the casting used on the later 1725 cc engines for spin-off filters would also fit on your block.

Peter
IC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input Guys. I'm reading from the 1958 handbook:

"OIL FILTER (Rootes Special Accessory) An oil pump filter gauze is fitted as standard. A full-flow oil filter is, however, available. Enquiries regarding fitment should be made to the Dealer"

Penman may well have a point, I can see I'm going to have to seek further advice on this and the Hillman OC is a good place to start I guess. No sign of a separate casting, just a bolt-on rectangular plate. It surprised me as much as it does you! Good to bounce it off other people as always....
andycars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are on Facebook I would recommend joining the Hillman Husky group, the Rootes Group and the Hillman Minx group.

Last edited by andycars on Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
IC

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not on Facebook but I'm joining the Hillman OC, just sent the form off. One of their registrars is a Cob and Husky expert so I should get to the bottom of this fairly quickly
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: