classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

2040 - the end of petrol and diesel cars.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Miken

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't a coal-fired or nuclear powered power station generate steam to drive the turbo generator?
If so, then arent electric cars really steam powered anyway?
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What matters is whether the generation increases global warming or not.
Of course if you are Mr Trump's age (or religion) you just don't care as it doesn't affect you and especially if adds to your family's wealth or not. You can always buy another Florida residence further back from the sea.

Peter Rolling Eyes
Penguin45

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steam = external combustion = acceptable (cf: power station....).

P45.
MrWhite

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A story, at least third hand so forgive my lack of knowledge. I visited someone for work one day and as happens from time to time, I had the feeling he was a car enthusiast.
Now I can't and don;t go around accusing everyone (last time was a Porsche 968) but he has an unusual crest on his polo shirt, which I couldn't quite make out and a nice modern garage outside, roller door about 3" up, nice redfloor and the light on, suggesting something was going on just before I arrived.
So I plucked up the courage to ask by the end of the meeting and sure enough he was a member of the same steam car club mentioned earlier on this thread. He told me he was going to build a steam powered Mini, UK Mini not BMW. He told me a story about how in the 60s Alex Issigonis had planned to make a production steam Mini, the last model to be completed but the steam guy he was working with died before the project cold be comleted and so it never was built. THe guy had a working engine he had designed, can't remember the name but it wasa tried and tested unit and an ideal size for teh Mini. So this guy's dream was to kind of complete the project as it were. He had a donor car, engine already removed and loads of old steam engine parts his late Father collected, so it seemed a real prospect it would get done but I have never heard anything since, that would have been about 2 years ago. I don't suppose anyone else has heard/seen anything?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: