classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

dial gauge recommendation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Luegolover

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: dial gauge recommendation Reply with quote

Hello,

I need to add a dial gauge to my tool kit. I am reasonably happy to spend money on such things but I am not keen to waste money. With something like this I have an issue based on cost per use and it is this:

eBay has loads for sale with a magnetic stand from about £15.

My question is this: is it worth spending any more than this when I am likely to use such a tool once in a blue moon? If it is then please recommend something that I should consider.

Thanks in advance
Steve
Minxy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my opinion but my stance on these things is that regardless of how much you use an item, when you do use it it needs to be accurate and fit for purpose. In essence if I only intend using an item once I will pay a little extra to get something that is ' fit for purpose'

Most of the measuring equipment I have is Mitutoyo, perhaps slightly extravagant but I would certainly be paying more than £15 if it were my money.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one, magnetic base and "inherited" from a nationalised fossil fuel company where I once gave them the benefit of my skills.

anyway.. have used it a few times over the years. I got into the habit of testing it against a solid surface and then inserting feeler gauges to see if the needle deflection matched the gauge.

I have a number of tools and devices that I put in the category of "when needed, they are no use in the store"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: