classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Going to France??????
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Going to France?????? Reply with quote

Hi
Are you thinking of a trip to France in your classic or even your modern?
https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/law-change-for-uk-drivers-in-french-cities/

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is highly likley most old-vehicle-owning contributors/lurkers on here will be unable to purchase a Crit'air sticker.

As far as I can tell, as long as one doesn't enter any big cities [I cannot imagine any scenario where I would want to take any of my old cars into a 'city?']...... one can still continue to drive through France.

Or, so it appears?

The RAC site isn't especially clear on that point.

Obvious answer is, to avoid France altogether, perhaps?

[Their loss, as far as I'm concerned]

Or, perhaps, is it possibe to get one's old vehicle actually tested [MoT station, perhaps?]...for emissions? To see whether it actually complies with a Euro regulation?
With good tuning, and attention to wear & tear, it may be possible to get even really old engine designs to meet perhaps the Euro 1 or 2 criteria? Then present the official results to the French system? After all, one is also required to include a jpeg of the V5c.

I know my sidevalve 100E engine certainly was within the Euro 1 regs when last on a rolling road for tuning. [Maybe it wouldn't have been when new, and in original form?].....in fact, the last MoT tester even went so far as to try to make the engine more dirty.....!

However, it all seems to rely on a set of tables as to whether one's vehicle conforms or not...rather than, in reality?

Which is a real shame.
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew what this was going to be about before I clicked on the link, Crit'Air...

It's most empathatically NOT necessary just because you're driving in France and the RAC should know better than to scaremonger. Currently, only four areas (Paris, Lyon, Grenoble and Lille) require a Crit'Air sticker and there's no hard and fast ruling for historic cars:

https://www.crit-air.fr/en/information-about-the-critair-vignette/french-environmental-zones-zcr/exemptions-to-the-rules.html

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
D4B

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have friends in France who own Classic and Historic vehicles, as said, they just avoid those big cities.
Driving your classic in France is very enjoyable, highly recommended!
lowdrag

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All a load of scaremongering. Classic cars are banned from Paris, for example, so in traditional french fashion we have the annual rally across Paris to protest. The gendarmes help us on our way! I didn't read the article, but does it still mention requirements for a alcotest (dropped six months after introduction) high viz jackets, triangles and all the rest? I've lived here for 20 years, and never have I ever been asked to produce anything of note, except once in a while the insurance and V5.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: