classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

How safe do you feel driving an old car?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: How safe do you feel driving an old car? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Not wishing to tempt fate or anything, but it's a consideration when driving an oldie. Only a couple of weeks ago I was out in little Dodge, our road was closed for some reason so we had to divert down the lanes for a mile or so. Negotiating the lanes at our usual (very) leisurely pace, we nearly had a head-on with a modern Merc in a hurry, where the road narrowed to a single car's width.

A few hundred yards further on, a big Jap 4x4 pickup thing came at us from a turning on the left, its driver clearly hadn't spotted the unpainted junction, and nearly slid into the side of us, wheels locked etc.

Does the thought of an accident ever cross your mind while at the wheel? Perhaps this is one reason that many old cars are "high days and holidays" only now?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel safe with my own driving but its other road users I am always wary of. We have had a few instances of being overtaken on bends or being beeped at traffic lights when others cannot accept that we are going slower than they want to be!

There is no respect on the road these days for classics and also the volume of traffic even down here in sleepy Somerset has grown considerably in recent years.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oddly enough I generally feel safer in the Herald than in the modern - even though I hardly use it these days the switchgear still falls naturally to hand (still keep indicating with wipers in the modern after 3 years!) and it feels a lot more sure-footed when meeting unexpected road conditions. As for the comparitive speed issue, I find I don't get overtaken that often but every time out in either car I seem to get stuck behind one lurker after another - the sort of idiot that likes to sit hunched over the wheel and crawl along main roads in perfect weather at 35mph. IMO they are the real hazard.
Keith D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get a bit unsettled when I'm driving the Austin Seven on country roads. The Chrysler is fine; it's as big or bigger than the 4 x 4's that seem to enjoy intimidating everything else in their way.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel very safe in the knowledge that in a head-on collision the steering wheel will push me back in my seat thus preventing me from being thrown through the windscreen.

Peter
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
I feel very safe in the knowledge that in a head-on collision the steering wheel will push me back in my seat thus preventing me from being thrown through the windscreen.

Peter

Smile Smile
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How safe do you feel driving an old car? Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Hi all,

Does the thought of an accident ever cross your mind while at the wheel? Perhaps this is one reason that many old cars are "high days and holidays" only now?

RJ

Aren't 'high-days & holidays'really the most risky times to be out driving ancient crocks? Old cars, as well? Smile

I, too, am quite comfortable & confident with my driving skills....a by-product of the last job 20 years, almost, I did, before retiring...where I was required, quite often, to 'prove' my skills were 'to the standard expected'...etc

I am also acutely aware a driver is only as good as their next mistake.

Having spent a working lifetime associated with behind-the-wheel stuff, I was used from an early driving-age, to being sat in ancient vehicles....[I was once a London bus driver, whose daily drive was one of many AEC RT deckers....not exactly in their first youthful flushes, I assure you]

For me, a vehicle is a vehicle, regardless. I make myself as fully aware as possible of the vehicle's limitations, and characteristics. I enjoy finding out how to get ''the best'' out of them.....regardless of what they are.

Thus, when out in my Dellow, I am considered a total hooligan. I enjoy not disappointing folk. Smile........
emmerson

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
I feel safe with my own driving but its other road users I am always wary of. We have had a few instances of being overtaken on bends or being beeped at traffic lights when others cannot accept that we are going slower than they want to be!

There is no respect on the road these days for classics and also the volume of traffic even down here in sleepy Somerset has grown considerably in recent years.

Rootes 75, I'd rephrase that. There is no respect for anything or anyone on the roads today!
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a week's time our trip to Goodwood will be the first we'll have made in the Riley wearing seat belts. After decades of mishap-free classic driving without them the driving antics of other road users has convinced me I'd rather have them than not. It's a simple matter of self preservation.

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
Peter_L

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mind driving anything in the UK. After moving here in 2002, a neighbour had a Dodge. (Just like the one Rick owns) , the neighbour imported it from Norway and spent years putting it back together.

I drove it few times. Along the straights and turning right (we drive on the right) was no problem, but turning left when in traffic or a two lane road, it was truly scary. With no flashing indicators and just hand signals that virtually no one recognised as signal of intent, even if they saw it most didn't have a clue what it meant.

One evening, after a few drinks we absconded to his garage and cut out a plywood arrow. Painted it orange and added black lettering. "TURNING LEFT"

It was a huge failure ! and had some close calls with some drivers nearly hitting the back of us as they stared at the sign....
Ellis

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes feel a little vulnerable in the 2a Land Rover and I agree that owners of large 4x4 owners can be a menace especially on country lanes.
I have a theory about that - the people who buy them have bought a vehicle which is too big for them and their driving abilities.
Look at the size of a modern Range Rover or a 4x4 double cab pick up - they really are big.

On the other hand, should owners of modern vehicles be wary of us?

Two weeks ago the 2a was parked outside our local bakery and I was in the queue inside to pay for my bread and pies. We all heard a loud bang as a new style VW Beetle pulled into the kerb to park.
It's nearside was badly dented and scratched - passenger door and rear panel.
A sheepish looking gentleman asked who owned "the old Land Rover" outside.
I put my hand up and he called me outside.

He had misjudged his turn in to park and had hit the nearside rear military style bumperette on my 2a. We both went to examine any damage to mine - nothing, just a light scuffing on the right angle galvanizing!

It was nothing worth claiming for. We shook hands and went our separate ways. I estimated the damage to the VW - new n/s door and rear panel - £800 - £1000 perhaps.

Before you all say it, yes, I know "...they don't make 'em like that any more..."

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
Richard H

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never worried too much about safety when driving my Austin Somerset as if I did, I'd never use it! I trust my driving skills enough to avoid the majority of idiots on the road.
Mind you, I had a near miss at the weekend. Driving along a wide B road near Norwich, I slowed down, flicked my indicator on (LED flashers, so bright) and moved to the centre line to turn right. I came to a stop because a car was coming the other way. Once that one had passed, I started to turn but had to stamp on the brake pedal because some absolute moron decided to overtake me on my outside. He swerved around me, came off the road and kicked up a load of dust while blowing his horn and then sped off into the distance. Both my girlfriend and I were quite shaken up by this, and I actually pulled over , got out and checked that the indicators were working, which they were. The stupid thing is he could have easily gone past on the nearside, there was loads of room. Instead he very nearly caused a nasty accident and with no seatbelts in my A40, we wouldn't have come off well.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterwpg wrote:
I didn't mind driving anything in the UK. After moving here in 2002, a neighbour had a Dodge. (Just like the one Rick owns) , the neighbour imported it from Norway and spent years putting it back together.

I drove it few times. Along the straights and turning right (we drive on the right) was no problem, but turning left when in traffic or a two lane road, it was truly scary. With no flashing indicators and just hand signals that virtually no one recognised as signal of intent, even if they saw it most didn't have a clue what it meant.

One evening, after a few drinks we absconded to his garage and cut out a plywood arrow. Painted it orange and added black lettering. "TURNING LEFT"

It was a huge failure ! and had some close calls with some drivers nearly hitting the back of us as they stared at the sign....

I drive a "26 Dodge Brothers (also very similar to Rick's car) and I have fitted amber flashing indicators. I have done this for a specific reason. The problem was slightly different to the one you describe. There is a hairpin left turn into our lane and with the Dodge having a very large turning circle, I have to move out to the centre of the road to take a swing at it. The problem was that drivers behind me would try to overtake on my inside because firstly they seemingly didn't appreciate the difficulty I was having making the manoevure and secondly, they did not see or else noticed but failed to understand the meaning of my hand signals.

The other serious safety issue I have with the old car is the 6 volt lighting. The problem is not so much that I can't see the road ahead at night but that the lights of modern cars are so bright that when they are following me, my vision is reduced by the shadow of my own car that their lights create. I have now stopped driving it at night but an alternative would be to fit halogen or LED bulbs and convert the system to 12 volts but I have too much else to do first.

The most recent addition to safety has been rear view mirrors. The mirror over the screen is hampered when I have the hood up because the rear window is a perspex affair and in pretty poor condition. Wing mirrors would, I feel, spoil the look of the car and there is also nowhere on the windscreen pillars to fit them; the space is taken up with glass wind deflectors called "wind wings". What I have done is fit 2" convex mirrors to the top corners of the wood fillet that I have fitted to the front of my hood above the screen. This gives me at least some rear visibility which is particularly useful when reversing.

What a long way we have come with mirrors. The ones on my Range Rover are not only electrically operated and heated but automatically point downwards when I select reverse gear. The best ones are photo chromatic so automatically dim when needed.
Ronniej

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very conscious that neither of my oldies would offer any protection in an accident. Both would collapse like egg boxes and I don't want to think where the steering wheel would go in a head-on!
Having said that, I enjoy driving them and accept this is a risk I must run.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above really. No seat belts in a car that is happy cruising at 90 mph where permitted. I think one has to be a fatalist to drive classics these days.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: