classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Mathis type TY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
ScruffyB

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Mathis type TY Reply with quote

Hello all.
I am new to the forum, this is my first posting.
I am just in the process of buying a Mathis type TY 1932. Does anyone have any information on this car. She is pretty solid all round but needs some TLC. The previous owner has removed the metal body trims and replaced them with wood D mould held on with posidrive screws. Very retro!!! The brakes need some adjustment and was wondering about converting to hydraulic. The guy has also tried to paint her with aerosol paint and failed drastically.
ScruffyB
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ScruffyB,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm afraid I know nothing about Mathis cars but would like to know about your's. Photos always welcome. Very Happy

http://flickriver.com/photos/33240904@N03/tags/mathis/

Roger hasn't got the hang of photo posting yet but here is his car.

Peter
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello ScruffyB. Welcome.

Do you still have the trim that was so poorly replaced? I sometimes despair of what people do to their old cars!

Sorry I can't help with the history of your car but when it comes to brakes I can offer my personal advice which of course you are welcome to accept or reject as you wish.

If you make sure that there is little or no wear in the mechanism and the shoes are not worn out or contaminated then properly adjusted original brakes may well prove adequate. There have been many attempts to covert to hydraulic on many old cars but this seldom brings improvement - and where it is improved, it is often because the original mechanism was worn out.

The essential thing that makes hydraulic brakes effective is the addition of a power assisted servo and you need to ask yourself if you really want to modify the Mathis that much - and indeed whether you can achieve enough vacuum from your induction manifold to operate a modern servo. To assess the brake input from a servo, just try the brakes on your modern car (slowly!) without the engine running.

I have had a similar paint situation arise with my '26 Dodge Brothers tourer. My car was splattered with lots of blobs of paint that had been applied by a p.o. presumably to cover chips and scratches. To my amazement, I found that far too much touch in paint (which didn't even match that well) had been applied and could be easily removed to reveal the smallest of scratches which, being cellulose, could be polished out with T cut...
ScruffyB

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: !932 Mathis TY Reply with quote

Hi. Thanks for your reply.
Sadly I do not have any of the original trims but whilst removing the DIY shop D Mold I discovered that the previous dip stick had left the original interior beech window beads in place but painted them black before covering them up. I have some very old chestnut flooring so I am going to make all new inner trims and secretly fit them in place.
The guy must have had a contract with a bath seal manufacturing company and a contact adhesive company as everything is blathered in the stuff.
The car originally was all black but I rather fancy the mudguards and roof in gloss black and lemon yellow in between. I need to get a quote from the guy in the village after eating a French dictionary for breakfast.
I met a guy near Vannes who had a 1925 soft top Mathis who kindly took me for a ride in it. Scary.
Regards.
ScruffyB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: