classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

MOT consultation outcome
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Q plates were to be issued to as many classics as some people think the DVLA would soon run out of Q numbers, so I'm inclined to think the gloomiest predictions can be safely discounted. Remember Q plates are issued to all sorts of vehicles the age of which can't be proved, including machinery such as road rollers and forklifts. If they're registered when new they get normal registrations, but if the need to use the machine on the road arises a few years down the line a Q plate is virtually inevitable, and indeed most plant operators aren't going to argue the point as it makes no difference to their business.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil - Nottingham wrote:
Where does it say the 15% rule has been dropped.

Hope it has because even putting the later 1098cc A series engine in Morris Minors, A40's and Minis in place of the 998cc would not exempt those cars and is a somewhat different mod to putting a V8 in

A line has to be drawn somewhere I suppose

The Federation met with the powers that be and pointed out just how impossible that rule is to enforce. And it was power to weight not just power in the consultation document. However, I was informed by the Federation themselves that regarding modified shells (read replicas) consultation is ongoing but that the 15% rule had been, after consideration, dropped. We already have one cast iron example of a replica being allowed to be registered as a historic class car and with the date of registration of the donor car, so we can see some light at the end of the tunnel
Ray White

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MVPeters wrote:
I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to post this.

There's an interesting car in Jay Leno's Garage on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH4aMZapC6Q

It's a '58 Rolls modified for an Australian customer, to Australian standards, which, it is said, are more stringent than even the German ones.

I wonder if the horsepower is 15% more than 'adequate'.

Having seen this I have now booked myself into a clinic for therapy! Shocked
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vintage and Classic Commercial magazine have apparently had to go back on their article that all pre 78 commercials will be exempt, they will not be.

I have not read the article personally yet but surely they should have got the story 100% before publishing it???
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is much amiss with the glossy press these days......I got put right off a certain classic magazine that focussed on the markets.....they ran an ''in-depth' article on the history buying & running pre-WW2 small Fords [Model Y....especially]...

All went well as I read on...until I got to the 'author's' description of the rear suspension? Apparently the Model Y he saw had two rear springs, and no mention of a torque tube!!!

At that point, any credibility the article or the magazine had sustained in me, disappeared instantly.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father actually messaged me as his copy of the magazine arrived yesterday, he was less than complimentary to the mag. It seems now that its just more concerned about lots of glossy pages of over restored lorries.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the new definitive regulations have finally been published, and the text can be found here:-

https://www.autoclassics.com/posts/news/uk-government-releases-historic-mot-rules-and-it-s-good-news-1

I don't think that it is very clear on some points, but I am sure that clarification will be addressed as matters arise.
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I can tell..when I eventually get the remains of the Ashley bodyshell I have, fitted to the Ford Pop chassis [with V5] I have, and up & running....although it will be zero VED [pre-1960]...it will require an annual MoT.
Which will be interesting, as it will have pure Ford Pop running gear.
Not an issue for me.......as one of my other old motors will no longer need an annual MoT from next May, so, pension-wise....the economics balance out nicely.

As may be gathered, I am not a speed freak, merely a hooligan.
nickjaxe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So am I correct in thinking...I dont need to do anything about going VHI (vehicle of historic interest) route till I need to re tax the vehicle....at this point I just declare it VHI status.

Does that sound about right.

Nick.

My other hobby.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's how I understand it will work. If you apply for VED renewal, you have a box to tick to say that you're opting out and that the vehicle conforms to the rules for that.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This leaves a lot of questions open to an owner's interpretation doesn't it?!

Eg my 52 Moggy, which has a 1098cc Minor 1000 engine. People were converting early Moggys from sv to ohv Minor engines back in the 60s, so does that fit with the following suggestion as being acceptable to VHI MOT-exempt status?

".. Changes of a type, that can be demonstrated to have been made when
vehicles of the type were in production or in general use (within ten years of
the end of production);"

I foresee that many marque experts, listed as being contactable for this kind of question, being jolly busy in 2018 Shocked

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
This leaves a lot of questions open to an owner's interpretation doesn't it?!

Eg my 52 Moggy, which has a 1098cc Minor 1000 engine. People were converting early Moggys from sv to ohv Minor engines back in the 60s, so does that fit with the following suggestion as being acceptable to VHI MOT-exempt status?

".. Changes of a type, that can be demonstrated to have been made when
vehicles of the type were in production or in general use (within ten years of
the end of production);"

I foresee that many marque experts, listed as being contactable for this kind of question, being jolly busy in 2018 Shocked

RJ

I suspect most people are going to take the easy option - i.e. ignore the new regs and carry on having a yearly MOT. That's certainly my plan, I reckon you'd have to really hate the MOT test to jump through a load of hoops* to get an exemption. Now if they were offering an exemption from compulsory insurance I might be interested... Laughing

*I have to wonder if the "originality test" for MOT exemption is intended to be so strict that it's pretty well impossible to get that MOT exemption - this being a simple way of maintaining the status quo without upsetting the EU. If so, hats off to whoever thought of it!
nickjaxe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that change and option is due to much more stringent future tests that older vehicles WILL NOT be able to pass.

Just found there is a form V112 that you fill in prob done at the post office.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/declaration-of-exemption-from-mot

My other hobby.
Penman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
The official announcement of the changes a dates is here.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/mot-changes-20-may-2018

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still unsure about the MOT status of my Karrier Bantam, it is plated and usually has a commercial test but it is 3.4 tons unladen and only 5.4 tons gross so could that be classed as a large van?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: