classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

MOT consultation outcome
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
I am still unsure about the MOT status of my Karrier Bantam, it is plated and usually has a commercial test but it is 3.4 tons unladen and only 5.4 tons gross so could that be classed as a large van?
I'd guess from the weight its a class 7, whereas the 40 year exemption only seems (from the wording) to apply to classes 1-4 ?

Your best calling the DVLA for clarification

Dave
nickjaxe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/398521/V112G-160514.pdf

What year is it.

My other hobby.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Karrier is 1978, so she would not be exempt as a Commercial but he question is due to her unladen weight being under 3.5 tons could she be exempted as a large van under the rolling 40 year rule?
Miken

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My neighbour has an old MG that is MOT exempt and so he does not put it in for a test. He said the other day that he may do it this year for his own peace of mind which is fair enough.
I was wondering what would happen if the tester says that (say) the brakes are not up to modern standards and fails it.
He would then continue to drive it because that is how they were made and have always been good enough up until now.
Would he then be committing an offense for driving an MOT failure? Even though it is exempt.
If you enter an exempt vehicle for a test are you then obliged to keep doing it?
Apologies if this has been asked before.
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
The weights quoted for class 7 are DGW (design GROSS weight) so the Karrier comes in the same category as any vehicle which requires a C1 licence to drive it.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miken wrote:
I was wondering what would happen if the tester says that (say) the brakes are not up to modern standards and fails it.
He would then continue to drive it because that is how they were made and have always been good enough up until now.
Would he then be committing an offense for driving an MOT failure? Even though it is exempt.
If you enter an exempt vehicle for a test are you then obliged to keep doing it?

It is not an 'offence' to drive a vehicle that has failed an Mot...[unless the fault is categorised as a 'dangerous' fault.] The onus is on the driver to ensure their vehicle [whatever it is] is 'roadworthy' when used on the road.

The brakes would not be tested 'up to the modern standard'. They are tested, as in all cars, for efficiency, balance, etc.
Probably find that, if the MGs brakes are adjusted correctly, and are in a good state , wear-wise, then they ought to be able to exceed the braking ability of a modern, given the MG's lack of weight. I know my Dellow's can.
The only 'dangers' that arise, is when a person jumps in an old design car, and drives off without exercising consideration for the car's potential limitations?

No obligation to keep testing......
nickjaxe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I trust myself to keep my car in good order.

I wonder if they do a general safety check rather than full blown MOT.

Nick.

My other hobby.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
Miken wrote:

It is not an 'offence' to drive a vehicle that has failed an Mot...[unless the fault is categorised as a 'dangerous' fault.] The onus is on the driver to ensure their vehicle [whatever it is] is 'roadworthy' when used on the road.

The brakes would not be tested 'up to the modern standard'. They are tested, as in all cars, for efficiency, balance, etc.
Probably find that, if the MGs brakes are adjusted correctly, and are in a good state , wear-wise, then they ought to be able to exceed the braking ability of a modern, given the MG's lack of weight. I know my Dellow's can.
The only 'dangers' that arise, is when a person jumps in an old design car, and drives off without exercising consideration for the car's potential limitations?

No obligation to keep testing......
do you seriously believe an mg's brakes would be better than a modern. Do you think an mg is lighter than a modern.
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the MG?

Brakes are only as good as the maintenance, and the foot shoving the brake pedal.
Ancient or modern.
mikeC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul fairall wrote:
... do you seriously believe an mg's brakes would be better than a modern. Do you think an mg is lighter than a modern.

It's probably debatable whether a tax-exempt MG has brakes up to modern standards, but given that practically any modern car is well over 1200kg, whereas most MGs with the possible exception of an SA saloon will be well under a tonne, the actual brake performance up to, say 50mph, will be comparable.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
Depends on the MG?

Brakes are only as good as the maintenance, and the foot shoving the brake pedal.
Ancient or modern.
i wasn't thinking about how much shove it takes. If you braked in a modern with the same amount of force as my ford popular you would be wearing the windscreen as a face pack
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take away the servo assistance, and what do you have left, with a modern?

Roll a modern car down a hill, with the engine off....Apply the footbrake, see how much more effort is needed to slow the vehicle?

It is wrong, in my view, to confuse braking efficiency, with the 'ease of application'.

Remove all the electronic assistance to braking, found in moderns...and how much 'better' will the brakes be?

When comparing old cars [maybe, P-type or T-types MG's?]....with moderns, perhaps the relevant driving styles [of the time] should also be taken into account?
Also, what about the differing tyre technology?

That alone will have a considerable effect on the ability of a car [of any age] to stop....within a reasonable distance.

Modern cars have a distinct edge over old cars, in terms of easily acquired performance....as in, acceleration and speeds.

The brakes will be designed to withstand repeated high speed stops..[to account for the youthful driver who has access to the performance, therefore will use it?]...but, even moderns have braking limitations.

Modern braking systems are also designed within different parameters to, for example, the Pop's. Modern bakes will be designed with the use of modern lining, or pad materials, in mind.
The Pop's brakes were designed with [probably] asbestos linings in mind.

There's a world of difference in the dynamics between asbestos linings, and modern synthetic linings [or pads]....many of the supposed shortcomings of older braking systems [for example, Morris Minor?] are down to the use....perhaps inappropriately, of today's modern lining materials. Select a lining material today..which has similar characteristics to the lining materials used in the '50's & '60's.....and the Minor brakes can be very effective.....certainly effective enough given the performance of the Minor? [Used as an example].
There used to be a lining manufacturer in West Yorkshire who would mix up a lining which behaved in a similar way to linings of old...however, I've lost the link to them!! Sorry!

Aside from emissions [and even those can be surprisingly good]....there isn't much of a difference, when it comes to an MoT, between a car of the 60's or '70's....and a 3 year old modern....aside from the fact that the older car may well be better looked after, by an enthusiast...whereas the modern is pure white goods to the owner.

I well recall times when my old things would sail through the MoT.....much to the annoyance of the owner of a 3 year old Audi,which had just failed on steering faults!! [For which they were once infamous?]

Expectations are oh so different these days?
BigJohn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An old car cannot be compared to a modern one, the brakes can be pin sharp, the mechanical brakes on my Standard 12 could lock all the wheels, both with foot or 4 wheel handbrake. The limiting factor was the contact patch of the 5.25.5.50 x 17 tyres, it was about the size of the palm of my hand, this combined with the period tread pattern would never compare to a modern tyre tread and compound. The 12 would lock up on the rollers during mot testing, but driving it meant making allowances on braking distance.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not get too out of kilter people. Did anyone see the Top Gear episode where they used the Highway Code braking distances and then tried this out with a modern car? I think, from memory, that for the given braking distance from 70 mph a modern could do it at 110 mph. I think my non-servo drum brake Marina probably used the Highway Code +50%, but that is by the by. My E-type had the original tiny pads with the Dunlop disc brakes plus a servo, but when I changed to more modern four pot calipers I feel at ease in modern traffic.

But this thread is getting nearer and nearer to its conclusion. In less than two months, on May 20th, the new DVLA web site will be up and operational. I will be interested to see just what I will have to declare, but since it seems to all down to our honesty (sic) it should be a piece of cake. Except that I never trust civil servants.
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting views as to modern car brakes. I find and prefer all our 7 classics brakes entirely satisfactory and the 1938 Rover Girling mechanical ones excellent.

I do not like modern car brakes as they are not progressive and I think it is modern car drivers who are not up to the standard of old car drivers that is the problem not the brakes
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: