classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Old Jag fuel system - addendum
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
7D4

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Old Jag fuel system - addendum Reply with quote

I'm flying blind here without a manual. Check out the attached pic of the inside half of one of the air cleaners. What are the blind passages for? (The bulges that arch over the carb holes.) A 3/8" fuel line connects to the back.

Also curious is that a small bit of fuel dribbles out of that line AFTER I shut off the fuel pump. I can run the pump (aftermarket pump--not an SU) for 10 minutes and nothing comes out of that line, but less than a minute after turning it off fuel appears like a runny nose.

I know I'm getting good pressure because I failed to completely seal the filter bowl and made a mess in the spare tire well.

[img]http://photobucket.com/user/74jag/media/Hsmacks%20022_zpsxnog2g1v.jpg.html[/img]
7D4

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While making a gasket I saw that those passages aren't blind after all.

Meanwhile I got it to start and run for almost a minute without any ether, giving me time to play around with the choke. It ran best with full choke. (The choke lever doesn't lock in that position.) It ran smooth so I have at least one carb on each side working.

I'm not sure why it quit. It would barely run on ether after that. I'll let it sit for a day and try again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: