classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Modern(ish) cars suffering with rot
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Modern(ish) cars suffering with rot Reply with quote

Hi all,

You'd think that by now, manufacturers could build vehicles that didn't rot away in a few years. Maybe they simply don't want to make them tooooo well nowadays? Rusty Land Rovers and Range Rovers are nothing new, same for Ford KAs going crusty, but I was surprised to read about Nissan Nivaras folding in two due to badly weakened chassis.

http://www.parkers.co.uk/vans/news-and-advice/2017/february/nissan-navara-snapped-chassis/

Some of the photos circulating online, make for pretty grim viewing.

Are there any other modern/recent cars out there that also have rot issues?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
badhuis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lancia Ypsilon of my son failed its test because the seat anchorages were rusted through at the floor. This car has no rust on the outside body panels. I did not expect to have to weld in patches for a car just 16 years old Cool
Also, my 13 year old Jaguar X-type station showed quite a lot of flaky rust at the floors and suspension arms. I am sure something would fail if I had not tackled this.
Both cars are 13+ years old, new enough to fall in your category of "newish" cars?
misterbridger

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've long had a hankering for a Mazda MX5 as a fun usable daily, but gave up on the idea as every one I looked at was as rusty as my old Mini. Bought a Toyota MR2 instead which appears not to suffer from the same issues - perhaps because a lot of the body is plastic!
kevin2306

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

misterbridger wrote:
I've long had a hankering for a Mazda MX5 as a fun usable daily, but gave up on the idea as every one I looked at was as rusty as my old Mini. Bought a Toyota MR2 instead which appears not to suffer from the same issues - perhaps because a lot of the body is plastic!

ive had a couple of MX5s, they do rot superbly well, another that comes to mind is the suzuki vitara.

Kev
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevin2306 wrote:
misterbridger wrote:

ive had a couple of MX5s, they do rot superbly well, another that comes to mind is the suzuki vitara.

Kev

The first Mk1 MX5 that erindoors owned went pretty crusty in the sill department. Her current V6 Grand Vitara though is very good underneath, unlike another 4x4 I could mention.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled up next to a 06 registered Golf yesterday which had sizeable rust bubbles at the top of the wheel arches on both front wings. It looked like a manufacturing or materials fault rather than accident damage.

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2001 Corsa for a daily. Not bad on the whole, but the entire rear suspension seems designed to trap as much salt as possible and as it gets older it needs regular maintenance to stop it dissolving. Not a great problem to me but for someone with no experience of rustproofing it's just going to get ignored until it fails an MOT and isn't worth repairing. I notice fewer and fewer of the same age driving around locally as time goes on.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on my third daily driver in 25 years and every spring I take the car to the local car wash and pay for the dearest programme they have, one that includes underbody jets. It costs a tenner or thereabouts, but has served me well since I have had no rot on any of the cars. Just a thought for you all.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
I'm on my third daily driver in 25 years and every spring I take the car to the local car wash and pay for the dearest programme they have, one that includes underbody jets. It costs a tenner or thereabouts, but has served me well since I have had no rot on any of the cars. Just a thought for you all.

Not something I'd thought about at all but worth considering I reckon. I go to a rent-a-ramp place in Aberdare in the autumn before the salt comes out and scrape back any scabby bits before retreating, but a wash the week before would make it much easier. TBH I didn't even know that car washes did underbody jets! I don't believe I've ever used one... Laughing
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daily driver, an 08 plate Vectra suffers with some bubbly rust. Strange though as it is confined to the front faces of a and b door pillars.
emmerson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ford transit which failed its first MOT two years ago as the chassis crossmember which supports the handbrake linkage had rotted away. At five years old, he gave up and scrapped it.
Has anyone looked at Mercedes Sprinters recently? They rot quicker than my '87 Talbot camper, and that does it as you watch!
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nissan Navara?
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmerson wrote:
Ford transit which failed its first MOT two years ago as the chassis crossmember which supports the handbrake linkage had rotted away. At five years old, he gave up and scrapped it.!

If that's accurate he is mad as Ford offer a 12 year anti corrosion warranty!

Dave
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
emmerson wrote:
Ford transit which failed its first MOT two years ago as the chassis crossmember which supports the handbrake linkage had rotted away. At five years old, he gave up and scrapped it.!

If that's accurate he is mad as Ford offer a 12 year anti corrosion warranty!

Dave

They say they offer a 12 year warranty, but like most warranties I bet it's not worth the paper it's written on. One of my neighbours went back to Ford when his Transit leaked rainwater through a roof seam and couldn't get anywhere with them, these big companies know most people can't afford legal action and so they just fob you off.

Come to think about it, there's probably a sneaky clause about any warranty only applying to the original owner of the vehicle. I'd hazard a guess most individuals / sole traders that own their vans outright bought them as used ex-fleet vehicles.
victor 101

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know people who have Chinese MG's who have complained of excessive corrosion on and around the subframe's and MG reckon these parts are not covered by the warranty.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: