classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Electric E-Type..
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
DM

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Is this a regulation that will be implemented retrospectively ?

Vehicles first registered before 1960 and vehicles modified before 1988 this regu;ation wont apply according to this draft.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/644962/vehicles-of-historical-interest-substantial-change-guidance.pdf
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
Well, having carefully examined the new DVLA proposals for changes next year, it will not be possible to change the engine for an electric motor without having the E-type's chassis number withdrawn and a new 17 digit VIN plate being issued, the car passing the IVA, and a Q plate being issued. If any of you out there have a car that is modified, especially the bodywork, then I suggest you read the consultation document very carefully. It would seem that a vast number of our beloved cars will fall into this tender trap, including mine. A Bentley saloon converted into a Le Mans body? Q plate sir. A DB4 remodeled to be a Zagato? Same thing. Engine modified to give more than 15% more power? Out out, I say! A Geoff Uren Cortina Savage? No chance. And so it goes on.
anything modified before 1998 is safe
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul fairall wrote:

Not according to my discussions with the Federation yesterday. I'd be grateful if you could let me know where you have read this. Any car such as my Lynx should have been notified as modified when it was done in 1987, but the Hampshire DVLA took one look at the V5 and said that it was a Jaguar sports car (but an E-type not a replica XKSS) so didn't need changing. Now I am told I will need a Q plate and regular MOTs.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
Paul fairall wrote:

Not according to my discussions with the Federation yesterday. I'd be grateful if you could let me know where you have read this. Any car such as my Lynx should have been notified as modified when it was done in 1987, but the Hampshire DVLA took one look at the V5 and said that it was a Jaguar sports car (but an E-type not a replica XKSS) so didn't need changing. Now I am told I will need a Q plate and regular MOTs.
the guys on rods'nsods and nsra have been following this and involved in discussions, as I said if documented before 1998 it's in the clear but seems yours was not and its now your word against theirs unless you have some proof.
I'm glad I haven't made any changes to my pop and will probably sell the parts I bought. Too early to say and will have to see how this pans out, but provided the engine size is not changed there will be no change and the car will not require an mot and keep its historic plate. I can see the classic car industry protesting this otherwise it's finished. I read about an Aston Martin DB4 that sold for £500,000 but has a shortened chassis carried by Aston Martin works and now will have to have a q plate.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any series 1 Land Rover that has a new non factory chassis would also have a q plate, if you are stupid enough to tell anyone.
DM

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul fairall wrote:
Any series 1 Land Rover that has a new non factory chassis would also have a q plate, if you are stupid enough to tell anyone.

Not true, you are allowed to fit a new chassis made to the original specification.

Info from -
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/rebuilt-vehicles
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DM wrote:
Paul fairall wrote:

Not true, you are allowed to fit a new chassis made to the original specification.

Info from -
https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration/rebuilt-vehicles
that is the current legislation not what's been proposed
DM

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vehicles of Historical Interest (VHI): “Substantial hange”Draft.Guidance

Contains the following -

"There are existing DVLA processes for registering reconstructed classic
vehicles."

So I read it as the option to re chassis a vehicle with one made to the original spec will remain, and in this case is it realy a problem to (possibly) have to MOT it.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DM wrote:
Vehicles of Historical Interest (VHI): “Substantial hange”Draft.Guidance

Contains the following -

"There are existing DVLA processes for registering reconstructed classic
vehicles."

So I read it as the option to re chassis a vehicle with one made to the original spec will remain, and in this case is it realy a problem to (possibly) have to MOT it.
ive read so much of their cryptic ramblings I can't remember all of it. If a chassis is changed and not to the spec of the original or has been modified it faces a Biva test and a q plate. So even a chassis modified by Aston Martin works gets a q plate.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most mot testers don't know enough about old cars to see the more subtle alterations. I don't mot my car but our tester at work checks my car over occasionally. Better than an annual test.
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's just wait & see, eh? Shocked
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
Let's just wait & see, eh? Shocked
yes indeed.
MrWhite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul fairall wrote:
Most mot testers don't know enough about old cars to see the more subtle alterations. I don't mot my car but our tester at work checks my car over occasionally. Better than an annual test.

They can't even keep up with the modern ones, what should have DPFs and what not. I think as guardians of these cars we should guard our information closely and tell them only what they need to know,so basically nothing. No Lies though, just economical truth, they will thank us in the end when they realise the error of their ways Wink
lowdrag

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a long conversation with the Federation of Historic Vehicles things at the moment look bleak, but it is always darkest before the dawn. The situation is so ludicrous that a Barker or Charlesworth bodied Rolls is technically a kit car since Rolls sold only the rolling chassis. I have written expressing my opinions on the matter and suggesting that some form of grandfathering is surely apposite. There is a meeting today between both parties to try and come to some agreement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: