classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Borrow .... but wouldn't want to own?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:19 pm    Post subject: Borrow .... but wouldn't want to own? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Is there an old car that, while technically you might be able to afford to buy one, you wouldn't really want to own but quite fancy borrowing for a few days to experience?

Personally the Citroen DS falls into this category, I'd like to borrow an immaculate one (ideally in black) for a few days, but I'm not sure I'd ever actually own one myself. A few American cars of the 1960s also fall into this category.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
BigJohn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mk10 Jag, would love to try, but not sure I could have a lasting relationship due to its girth.
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bentley, mk VI....preferably a standard steel saloon....used to be one not far from me, proper daily driver, not too tidy [oily rag??]

I like old buses...... Smile
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre-war British assembled Ford V8, probably a model 68 or 78. Lovely but I could never afford to own one!
mikeC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're all going for big complex cars! I think I would go the other way altogether - I'd love to have a go in a Messerschmitt, especially a TR500, but I think I would be quite happy to hand it back afterwards Very Happy
poodge

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I,ve always loved the style of 60's Alfa Romeo's,but their reputation for unreliable electrics,and ferocious rusting capability,has me shivering at the thought of actually owning one.In the mid 60's ,Rob Slotemaker raced 2 GTA's in the dutch touring car championship.
As a kid,I loved the gloriously over-styled Chevrolet Impala from 1959,with the eyebrow taillights.What did a 7-year old know about fuel consumption and road tax?In those days,Holland used a road tax system based on the weight of the vehicle.I don't know if that's still in use,but I think that's a fair system.
badhuis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poodge wrote:
In those days,Holland used a road tax system based on the weight of the vehicle.I don't know if that's still in use,but I think that's a fair system.

That is still in place. But there are exceptions for classic cars - from 25-40 years you pay max 120€ per annum (with the penalty you cannot drive in the winter months), over 40 years it is free so your Chevrolet would be free of tax.
Sid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 1948 Tucker Torpedo. Possibly the ugliest car ever, but it's fascinated me for many years. Apparently one is owned by someone in England, and no more than 10 miles from me. I'd love to have it for a day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WXoAww4wpw
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Triumph Stag and/or TR6. I doubt I would find either to be practical long term and, having seen under the bonnet of both at shows, no way would I want to work on either. As a short term fling, however, either would be fun around the valleys on a nice day.
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to borrow a 1928 Morris Oxford because my mother was the principal driver of the family car in the background here. My mother did own a motor bike but the one she is sitting on was not her's.

Peter

Minxy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if this counts but a Chysler PT cruiser. A few years ago we hired one in America and it just seemed so right but in the UK it seems wrong...does that make sense. Confused
badhuis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
... TR6. I doubt I would find either to be practical long term and, having seen under the bonnet of both at shows, no way would I want to work on either.

Surprised about the TR6 comment. Very easy to work on and most things very accessible! Maybe easier to get a TR6 with twin carbs (USA model) instead of the quite complicated Fuel Injection.
As for practical - what's not practical? In fact I find the TR4 more practical to use than my Sunbeam Chamois. I have used my TR4 most days the last half year provided it did not rain (no fun in that). A TR6 would be better here - the TR4 top is much more difficult to erect than the TR6 top. A TR has a boot big enough for the week shopping, I never hesitate to take it to the supermarket or DIY store when needed.
badhuis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minxy wrote:
Chysler PT cruiser. A few years ago we hired one in America and it just seemed so right but in the UK it seems wrong...does that make sense. Confused

Sure it does!
When I hired a big Buick fifteen years ago in the New York area I decided I should find one back at home. So I did, and took it for a test drive. What a disappointment! Just too big and floaty. The narrow roads in European cities are very different compared to the wide roads in USA cities. The car was fine but the test drive made me not wanting one in Europe.
Ellis

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Austin Big Seven for me.

Why so prosaic?
My late father was an Austin Seven enthusiast who owned 12 or more over the years and he was quite handy with the spanners I believe. The last two he owned were Big Sevens and he spoke highly of them.

I have not driven or been a passenger in any Seven but would like to try a Big Seven just to satisfy my curiosity and see what the fascination was.
I have actually sat in a Big Seven which belonged to friend of mine. It was a rare one apparently with integral running boards. It had been laid up in 1939 and when examined after the war the engine was found to have seized and it remained at the back of it's owner's garage until 1970 which is when my friend acquired it.

Sitting in it was a culture shock for me, narrow yet with ample headroom and so old fashioned.

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
Ashley

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your mum is rather beautiful Peter.

In nineteen fifty two my mum and I drove from Frampton on Severn in Gloucestershire to Ingham in Norfolk in an Austin big Seven. We had a cup of tea with my great aunt in Fulbourn and arrived about nine hours after we’d left. I seem to remember topping forty on occasion and following lorries at twenty for some time.

I’m not sure what I’d like to borrow, but not buy, possibly an S Class Merc and definitely not a big Seven. I much prefer the Morris 8.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: