classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Transfer of Reg Numbers?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Transfer of Reg Numbers? Reply with quote

I have asked this question on one of my owner's clubs' sites....so I ask it here for consideration too.

Often I see in adverts for vehicles, where the vendor claims the reg number 'has value'..implying, the reg number can actually be transferred by the new owner.

Now, I have trawled through the DVLA site ..and as far as I can tell, any vehicle which has 'historic' tax status for which the reg number has been either an age-related issue, or for which an original reg number has been granted....that reg number is annotated as 'non-transferable'.

Does this also apply to any vehicle made pre-1960? [That qualifies?]

In other words, even if no obvious attempt has been made to claim historic status....ie, it has simply happened.....possibly because the vehicle has consistently been on DVLA's records, at least from circa 1975 or so........does this still mean, now that the vehicle is classified as 'historic'....does its reg number then become non-transferable too?

Also, with the above in mind, I note that [if a number is transferable], on transfer, the originating vehicle must have a current MoT.
How does this apply if the vehicle is actually exempted from MoT?

If this is all correct....will this mean the end of ebay listings with 'reg number values added as sweeteners?

Thoughts on the matter?

{My experience, I have 3 vehicles, 2 with Historic status, with non-transferable numbers.....one age related, one original, reclaimed. The 3rd is a Q-plate.]
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its quite straight forward:

If a vehicle has been issued with an age related plate because for what ever reason it never got recorded when the DVLA computerised or its an import, then that number can never be used on another vehicle. The V5 will state that the number is non transferable

If a vehicle has retained its original number, then the number can be transferred providing the vehicle has a valid MOT, so an MOT exempt vehicle will have to be MOT'd to enable the transfer.

Dave
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually what I have said is not quite true; there was a period when the DVLA would issue an age related plate that could be transferred, however this practice ceased in the 80's after people were getting age related numbers, selling them and getting another selling and so on.

Dave
mikeC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although officially an age-related issue will be non-transferable, this seems to be down to the competence and care of the issuing clerk! In the last ten years I have imported three cars which have been issued with age-related numbers, the first and third did not have the non-transferable clause added to the V5C , whilst the second did Rolling Eyes
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dellow was re-imported from USA.

It retained its original registration number.

It is non-transferable.

With the change of classification to historic, will the non-transfer rule then be applied?

Especially as, when the new 40 year date is achieved, the Registered Keeper now has to make application to the DVLA for Historic Vehicle status.
mikeC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applying for Historic Status will not change whether a number is transferable or not.
47Jag

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading this post has got me a bit worried. I have been a bit blase' about regarding my 1947 Jaguar. I bought it back in 1983 and it had an old style V5 which I got upgraded to a V5C in 2005. I suppose my question is what if anything do I need to be doing in light of this new legislation?

Art
47Jag

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading this post has got me a bit worried. I have been a bit blase' about regarding my Jaguar. I bought it back in 1983 and it had an old style V5 which I got upgraded to a V5C in 2005. I suppose my question is what if anything do I need to be doing in light of this new legislation?

Art
mikeC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Art, if your Jaguar is already on the road and registered as Historic, then you don't need to do anything. If it is off the road, and the V5C shows it as still Private/Light Goods or whatever, then when you are ready to put it on the road you will need to get the V5C amended to read historic; you cannot get it changed until you are ready to 'tax'it.
47Jag

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

The car is a long way from being 'on the road'. Do I have to declare it as historic and if so how does that affect the plate number (FSG15)? Will it become valueless as in non transferable?

Art
Minxy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
My Dellow was re-imported from USA.

It retained its original registration number.

It is non-transferable.

With the change of classification to historic, will the non-transfer rule then be applied?

Especially as, when the new 40 year date is achieved, the Registered Keeper now has to make application to the DVLA for Historic Vehicle status.

This happens when I change the number on my modern. I have a private plate so when I come to change the car I send the log book to get the original number re-assigned when the ownership document is returned with the original number it says non-transferable.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

47Jag wrote:
Mike,

The car is a long way from being 'on the road'. Do I have to declare it as historic and if so how does that affect the plate number (FSG15)? Will it become valueless as in non transferable?

Art

If you have a V5 of any era it means the car is known by the DVLA and that's the important thing, and as long as it doesn't say "non Transferable" on the V5 the reg can be transferred , but the car will have to pass an MOT first.

The change in taxation class has no bearing on the ability to transfer registration numbers.

Dave
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

47Jag wrote:
The car is a long way from being 'on the road'. Do I have to declare it as historic

You cannot change the taxation class to "historic" until it has an MOT.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeEdwards wrote:
47Jag wrote:
The car is a long way from being 'on the road'. Do I have to declare it as historic

You cannot change the taxation class to "historic" until it has an MOT.

And then you won't need one, go figure
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has got me thinking too, my latest project a 1946 ERF lorry has a very old V5. The lorry is in bits, totally, but is all there. Do I just need to send that very old V5 off to change the owner to me or do I need to re-claim the reg?

I presume I don't have to justify it as it is a V5 after all?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: