classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Positive earth radio in a Negtive earth car.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
MrWhite

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Positive earth radio in a Negtive earth car. Reply with quote

I have a car which was originally positive earth but has been changed to negative. Everything works, the Amp metre works in reverse but the radio and clock will be a positive earth and so don't work. Is there a way of getting them to work or do I need to replace them, which seems a shame as they are both fairly original to the car. I have to say I have managed to avoid the positive negative earth thing all my life so far, so I don't think I really understand Positive earth, my realisation of this came when someone mentioned fitting and ignition cut out (Old school security) and I then realised I wouldn't know how to do it.
Penman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
With the clock and radio can't you just swap the wires over?
Put the positive wire to the negative terminal.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
47Jag

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some older radios had a polarity switching plug which you moved to suit the car earth. Have a look for that. Otherwise it's easy enough to switch your car's polarity if it has a dynamo. It's a simple job to re-flash the field coils. If you reverse the leads as Penman suggests you will create a short circuit with the aerial wire. The clock I'm not sure about.

Art
47Jag

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the radio is in any way transistorised it will more than likely be for negative earth. Some older radios had a polarity switching plug which you moved to suit the car earth. Have a look for that. Otherwise it's easy enough to switch your car's polarity if it has a dynamo. It's a simple job to re-flash the field coils.

Art
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi
With the clock and radio can't you just swap the wires over?
Put the positive wire to the negative terminal.

Unfortunately the case is normally the earth connection in radios.
It's very easy to change your car's earthing to suit the radio. The only minor complication is that you need to swap the connectors on the battery leads if you have circular posts as they are slightly different diameters.

Peter
DM

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of these will do although it's expensive for what it is.

https://www.classiccarstereo.co.uk/accessories/autosound-positive-earth-adaptor/
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be surprised if a radio old enough to be positive earth would still work satisfactorily nowadays. TBH I'd think it likely to be ripe for replacement or conversion to modern internals.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless there is any reason to stay as negative earth.; simply convert it back Smile

Dave
lowdrag

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
I'd be surprised if a radio old enough to be positive earth would still work satisfactorily nowadays. TBH I'd think it likely to be ripe for replacement or conversion to modern internals.

I had my Radiomobile converted to modern FM internals by Tadpole radios. A total waste of money and it is never used. I see that the Becker Mexico modern version is back in production but last time it was £700 and now is over £3,000! Be good to have inbuilt GPS, Bluetooth and USB and iPlayer features but not at that cost. A total rip-off.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BECKER-MEXICO-RETRO-Vintage-GPS-BT-Navigation-Radio-Classic-Car-7942-7948-NEW-/201394591783
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
Bitumen Boy wrote:

I had my Radiomobile converted to modern FM internals by Tadpole radios. A total waste of money and it is never used. I see that the Becker Mexico modern version is back in production but last time it was £700 and now is over £3,000! Be good to have inbuilt GPS, Bluetooth and USB and iPlayer features but not at that cost. A total rip-off.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BECKER-MEXICO-RETRO-Vintage-GPS-BT-Navigation-Radio-Classic-Car-7942-7948-NEW-/201394591783

Good grief - that's more than I paid for my Riley!!

I never listen to the radio or music when I'm driving, I'm not even sure how to load the six disc changer in the Audi that I've owned for several years and radio in the Riley just seems pointless.

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me neither, if I want to listen to music I have a dedicated music room in the garden. Listening in a car with tyre noise etc is not my idea of enjoyment.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul fairall wrote:
Me neither, if I want to listen to music I have a dedicated music room in the garden...

Nice if you have the time. For many people they only time they get to listen unmolested to their own choice of music is the otherwise wasted time spent driving to or from somewhere they don't particularly want to be in the first place.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For many years I sat in traffic jams going into London, I guess those that still endure that have time for listening then. Everyone should make time for relaxing or doing what they love otherwise what is the point of living.
kevin2306

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought the restored Motorola 828 for my singer, I had a lead fitted so I can use it with my iPod. Love music when driving,more so in my modern.

Kevin
MrWhite

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies, lots of ideas, so that's good. I am not sure what happened with the car as we didn't have it for a while and it was positive earth when we had it before but now negative earth and the advive we were given was to leave it as it is. I should maybe have asked more questions about this but at the time I just thought Negative earth is more what I am used to, so it should make things easier, less likelyhood of connecting anything up the wrong way. I will have a look at the items and see if there are any switches, that almost seems too easy. I did read about "Flashing" but I have no idea how you do this (electrically of course) or what it actually means, so I wouldn't mind an explination of what to do or a pointer in the right direction. I think I probably still prefer to keep the car Negative earth, the more modern radio or the converter box are great ideas but I think just a wee bit on the expensive side. I doubt I will listen to the radio much but I do like music in the car (modern car usually), mainly I just don't like having things that don't work Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: