classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Positive earth radio in a Negtive earth car.
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flashing is rarely necessary as they often self-polarise but if you do not understand car electrics you should not be interfering with anything
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrWhite wrote:
I think I probably still prefer to keep the car Negative earth, the more modern radio or the converter box are great ideas but I think just a wee bit on the expensive side. I doubt I will listen to the radio much but I do like music in the car (modern car usually), mainly I just don't like having things that don't work Rolling Eyes

If you are wanting a source of music and prefer negative earth then just buy something small and modern and hide it somewhere. Possibly connect with bluetooth to a smart phone.

Flashing is simply applying a battery to the dynamo field winding briefly so as to reverse the direction of residual magnetism in the pole pieces but as stated, it's not normally require anyway.

In cars with accessories that predate the age of car electronics there is no problem reversing the battery. In later SU fuel pumps you might find a diode across the contacts to reduce sparking and this would need to be reversed or removed. Having said that, connecting the battery reversed would probably blow the diode away anyway.

Peter
MrWhite

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil - Nottingham wrote:
Flashing is rarely necessary as they often self-polarise but if you do not understand car electrics you should not be interfering with anything

Hi Phil, It's a bit late for that I am afraid, been dabbling in car electrics sine I was 17, just never had a positive earth car or really understood the implications of changing from Positive to negative.
Thanks for the info Peter, they talk about flashing the ecu in modern cars when doing chip tuning but I never really understood that either. I will get a look at it once I get the engine back together. It was on my list of things to look at but then the water pump started leaking, now a full cooling system overhaul is underway Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: