classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Mini odometer stuck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
bob2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Mini odometer stuck Reply with quote

I am doing up my mini van at the moment and it has the odometer stuck on the same digits apart from the last digit which turns freely whilst on the move.
Any body know how I can have a try at fixing it? The rest of it works fine, just the odometer.
I could replace the speedometer as a whole since I have got good spare ones but its still the original and would like to have a try at fixing it as its something I have never tried before.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Very Happy
47Jag

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

The Smiths odometer mechanism is very poorly designed. The is an eccentric cam which moves a pawl and ratchet on the number cylinder. The pawl is made of brass and over the years it loses the edge so that when it tries to push the steel ratchet it rides over the top instead of ‘digging into’ and turning the first wheel.

Art
bob2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so that means its fit for the bin?
47Jag

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything is repairable Bob. Have a look it may be something else wrong. I suppose one could file a new edge on the pawl (unless you have mitts like mine) Laughing

Art
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They aren't difficult to work on. Replace any broken parts in your original with those from the replacement one.

Peter
bob2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will do when I am ready from some other jobs I am attending to presently, I'll try and tackle the odometer.
If not succesful, how can I turn the digits on the others to bring them as close as possible to the one on the van without damaging them?
47Jag

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

From memory the Smiths speedos are easy to change. I can’t remember if they roll forward easily or backward. The tens of thousands would be the one to try first IMHO.

Art
emmerson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking of speedo mileages, this tale is totally true, and happened when money was very tight, with two children to bring up etc.
This guy (whose name will be denied!) worked in a used car dealership, and the workshop staff were offered extra cash to "disguise" high mileage cars. It was easy money, so most of them did it, after hours when the place was quiet.
A twelve month old Ford Zodiac had a galactic mileage, so the speedo was stripped, only for the fitter to find a note inside which read "Oh no, not again!"
True, officer, all true. I know that fitter very well!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: