classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Universal Choke Cable
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Universal Choke Cable Reply with quote

I am trying to replace the choke cable on my Commer and to be honest am having a little trouble. Its got a round pull with a 'C' on it and it is not locking. I have looked around and most universal choke cables are the same.
The problem I have is that they are all too short, most are 1.8m whereas I need a minimum of 2m.
I have trawled ebay and many tractors/commercial factors but have come up with nothing.
Any suggestions?
MVPeters

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Universal Choke Cable Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
I am trying to replace the choke cable on my Commer and to be honest am having a little trouble. Its got a round pull with a 'C' on it and it is not locking. I have looked around and most universal choke cables are the same.
The problem I have is that they are all too short, most are 1.8m whereas I need a minimum of 2m.
I have trawled ebay and many tractors/commercial factors but have come up with nothing.
Any suggestions?

Here's an 8-footer:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-FT-Universal-Carburetor-Choke-Cable-96-long-60122/222146446004?hash=item33b8f5c2b4:g:c1wAAOSw9mFWL3s0

from a lawn mower.
Minxy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Car builder solutions' have various options including parts to build your own. I find them incredibly helpful and reliable.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just looked at Car builder solutions, what a great site. They have plenty already made up at 2 metres and the prices look good too.

Thanks for the tip.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered a 2m cable and it was delivered today, very good service. Now just have to hope it is long enough! Will give it a go fitting it at the weekend.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2m cable from car builder solutions came up about 10 inches short, the routing of the cables behind the dash and the under the floor is quite difficult. I have since found and ordered a 3m cable from ebay usa, its due with me on the 24th Jan. That should do the job.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting to the end of my tether with this choke cable. The long cable (96") arrived from the US and its great, good quality and plenty of length.
The issue is now fitted it simply does not release, it is so long that the push on the lever doesnt overcome the resistance on the carb lever. I have even stripped the carb again to see if the spring / ball that operates the lever can be slackened, they cant.
So, at various points under the cab floor along its route i have clamped the cable to try to give some ridgidity, nothing doing though.
Then, an additional spring attached to the carb lever to try to help it back to the closed position, then it becomes difficult for the dash pull to overcome that.
Feels like i am going round in circles.
peter scott

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are taking it on a circuitous route to get rid of excess length perhaps you could shorten it and get easier operation.

Peter
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might it be worth trying to get some lubricant between the inner and outer cable?
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first it was on a sort of roundabout route so we shortened it to go more direct. Its hasnt helped though and when its disconnected at the carb end the inner cable moves freely.
The lever on the carb seems too stiff to move and will not return back to it starting position without pushing by hand.
I did wonder about stripping the carb and removing the spring loaded ball. As long as the choke disc is set in the correct position it should still operate correctly.
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Just out of interest, have they sent you an inner cable that is like bowden cable
(multi cored) because the choke cables i remember had a single wire which was less likelyto bend and more likely to apply a push force.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi
Just out of interest, have they sent you an inner cable that is like bowden cable
(multi cored) because the choke cables i remember had a single wire which was less likelyto bend and more likely to apply a push force.

If it is a Bowden cable the choke spring on the carb that does the work pulling the choke back, hence why the choke cables of this type lock.

For push/pull control, solid or piano wire is required.
Dave
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may sound silly, but I always carried a clothes peg for the choke cable that wouldn't lock. Pull the choke out, put clothes peg between the pull and the dash, and unclipped it when the engine was warm enough. As I read it that seemed to be the basis of the first post. But then I am a bear of little brain.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
This may sound silly, but I always carried a clothes peg for the choke cable that wouldn't lock. Pull the choke out, put clothes peg between the pull and the dash, and unclipped it when the engine was warm enough. As I read it that seemed to be the basis of the first post. But then I am a bear of little brain.

I thought a cloths peg was standard issue on 1970's Minii's me and all my mates had one! Smile

Dave
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inner cable is single wire and as i said operates smoothly when not connected to the carb. The problem lies with the stiffness of the lever on the carb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Mechanical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: