classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Prized old tools
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Prized old tools Reply with quote

Morning all,

Do you have any prized old tools, either still in use or kept/displayed just because they're rare, particularly well made or hold a nostalgic interest etc? I hope to add a section to the main site sometime with a few of my own favourites, I just wonder what everyone else here has stashed away?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre-war steering puller set, lovely item to sit on show and has been used a surprising amount of times!
BigJohn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me! (At least that's what my sons think, a right prized old tool Laughing )
lowdrag

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pair of HM dockyard pliers, given to me in 1964 in Portsmouth. Still the best ones I've got, and in the drawer ready for use. And an original complete Jaguar Mk 1 tool box too.
BigJohn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My most used, get me out of trouble tool, is a pair of bumper ringing irons. Two large F shaped bits of kit that are great for tweaking bits of awkward tin. They are pre-war from when my Old Man served his time on Daimler, Minerva, and Rolls Royce.
Clactonguy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: old tools Reply with quote

apart from dozens of old spanners and sockets that I can't seem to throw away I still have a pair of old tyre levers. though I can hardly recall having used them in last 40 years!
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-cycled an old Dunlop tracking tool, used once to track up old buses...then the tyre contract changed [although the deport tyre fitter didn't!]..went over to Michelin...I happened to be lurking [as one does when looking for anything useful being chucked?]....when the tyre store was being cleared out....the two stands, and the very long pole were given a new home...[with permission..as in...'take the ruddy thing'.....].....The long pole was awkward to carry home...tied to the roof of the car.....and has seen 4 or 5 home moves since...awkwardly....

I will, perhaps cut the grooved pole down a bit...but until then, I'll leave it as it is, just in case I have to track up a lorry or something?

Actually used it to do tracking on my old Cannon [which has a Ford Model Y front axle]...although the gauge is a bit bent, it still works...Useful for tacking up the sundry old Ford stuff I have....and does no harm sat in the corner of my shedshop.

Needs a large tarmac area to use...do you think Tesco would mind if I taped off one corner of their car park?? Smile
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A WWII American wrecking or crow bar.
Bought by my Dad after the war from Newbury Racecourse dispersal sale when he was equipping himself for his new carpentry apprenticeship. Most of his old American tools were sadly stolen from his workshop in the 1970's but I still have a few of them, one being the bar. It is a small one so very useful for various jobs on the car as well as the carpentry. It did come in very handy recently for assisting the removal of a stubborn cylinder head. Oddly enough our local history group recently found and rescued a WWII US Army Glider delivery crate that had been used as a tailors workshop after the war. When we stripped out the postwar linings to the walls there were white painted shadow stencils of carpenters tools all over the walls where it had been used as a carpenters shop on Greenham Common - and my wrecking bar fits one of them perfectly !
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A picture of the previously mentioned steering wheel puller, it is being used on my 47 Minx. It has 3 sizes of ring collar for larger sized steering wheels.

winchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
A picture of the previously mentioned steering wheel puller, it is being used on my 47 Minx. It has 3 sizes of ring collar for larger sized steering wheels.

Very nice never seen one like that
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Vintage Motoring-Related Toys, Tools & Accessories All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: