classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Reclaim registration
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
badhuis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reclaim registration Reply with quote

This is something I often wondered because I have read this in several occasions before. That a registration can be reclaimed or retrieved. From a recent advert:
Quote:
NO DOCUMENTS WITH IT BUT CHASSIS PLATE ON BULKHEAD AND NUMBER PLATES ON CAR.
SO YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO CLAIM IT BACKTHROUGH MORRIS REGISTER.

Is this true? Is it as simple as that? I also read that an/the owners club or register for a car should support the claim. Why would that be, or what would the club need to provide to the DVLA?
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To reclaim an original registration number, you need some official documentation to prove that the vehicle with that specific chassis number, should be associated with a particular registration number. I have heard of people supposedly being successful with just a tax disc, or an old MOT certificate, but as neither has the chassis number on it, I wouldn't be too confident of DVLA giving it the 'OK' to be honest.

Without this level of documentation, but with a clear chassis number present on the vehicle, it should be possible to get a so-called "age related" registration number, once the vehicle has been dated in a way acceptable to DVLA.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
mikeC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An original registration cannot be reclaimed without documentation that links the number with the chassis/commission number. The only document which guarantees meeting the DVLA's inspection is an original buff or green log-book (if the computerised V5 or V5C is available then a simple application is all that's required - assuming the number hasn't been transferred in the meantime!).

It should be possible to reclaim an original number if something like the original sales receipt showing both registration and chassis numbers is available, but that's not guaranteed. In the distant past something like a tax disc has been suitable, but that has not applied for many years now.

It may well be the case in the example you quote that, for instance, the Morris Register has a record of the chassis and registration being linked, but I very much doubt the DVLA will accept that as evidence these days.
traction39

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another method would be to contact the county archive for the registration. They might, but not always, have a copy of the registration document which will also have the chassis number. I did this for my Light 15 and received a certified copy of the document. All a waste of time as I presented it all to local DVLA office (when they were open) and discovered the number had been re-assigned!
Unable to find out to what...!

Citroen Light 15 1953, "12" 1939,
Riley 9 Special 1932
badhuis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what the seller says in the quote in my first post, is simply not true. Only if documents exist with the chassis number and registration. Which might be in a register but what is the chance for that?

Would it even be possible to get a registration for a car if you do not have any papers?
I know in the Netherlands there is no way you could get a registration for a car if you have no ownership papers.
But often I see advertisements in the UK for which there are no papers, and there's always the saying that it should be easy to get papers. Not true then?
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is a chassis number on the car, but no paperwork exists, then that is enough to begin the process for getting an age-related registration and logbook, once a dating certificate has been created by a DVLA-recognised organisation, such as a club. But if there is no chassis number, either on a plate or stamped into the chassis, you're stuck.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
mikeC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of the county records were destroyed when things were computerised, and unfortunately even when they have survived, they don't always have sufficient details to help. Last year I tried to help track the registration number of a 1933 MG which has been recently found in Northern Ireland. The chassis number is known, and it was known that it was supplied by Pointings in Sheffield, but the Sheffield records were not sufficiently detailed to pinpoint the particular car:

I traced the registrations of five possible cars, but none had the chassis number recorded Crying or Very sad
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that getting an aged related plate shouldn't be an issues as the build info for Morrises is readily available either through the MR or through British Heritage.
Many car clubs have a DVLA rep these are listed on the DVLA website. Certainly the MR offers a service to handle these sort of cases.

In terms of assisting retaining the original Reg, the MR has its own records of vehicles known to the club, these go back almost 60 years, now whilst this documentation on its own won't satisfy the DVLA, it may give a clue to something that might.

Dave
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I reclaimed the original reg on my Ford 7W I went through the FSOC. I sent away certified copies of the taxation index card and an original Tax disc. The club rep then did the rest and I was given the original number.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: