classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What did you do to your car today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 116, 117, 118  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the Dodge out for a spin this morning despite the cold. In fact the drive was quite pleasant although there seems to be a gremlin in the electrics causing a complete break, although only momentarily, in the power supply. The car came to a halt with the ammeter showing nothing and the indicators failing as well. Then within a few seconds everything was back to normal. I am wondering if there is a fault with the ignition switch? It is original equipment and has yet to be overhauled.
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been in the garage sticking sound proofing felt to the bulkhead of my P5b. At the end of the day it probably wont make a smell of difference but the alternative was painting the spare room.
alanb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is always some job in the garage that is better than painting the spare room.

Morris 8 two seater
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanb wrote:
There is always some job in the garage that is better than painting the spare room.

Unless you're converting the spare room to "spares" room Wink

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
47Jag

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,

It works the other way in our house Crying or Very sad I had the smallest bedroom as a ‘man cave’ long before it was a trendy term. I had my computers and Jaguar engine in there. In fact it was known in the family as ‘the engine room’. Then SWMBO after watching these stupid home improvement programs on telly decreed that it would make a nice walk-in wardrobe. The rest is history Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Art
alanb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great idea! though I think I might find some fairly strong opposition.

Morris 8 two seater

Last edited by alanb on Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
peppiB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renewing ignition system on Merc. First problem - I am not strong enough to pull the plug leads off the plug, so same plugs and leads in use. With the aid of a screwdriver I did manage to get the other ends off the distributor cap. Renewed said cap and rotor arm
Next problem, the coil I bought for this car is the correct one, only the one in place is different. By this time I was in agony and having left my wheelchair indoors, I had to call for the girl I am carer to to come outside (our flat is 4 stories up) and help me (ie half carry me) back inside to the lift. I wasn't even able to get the plug lead covers back on Crying or Very sad

Another job for the local garage. At least the car now runs so fault must have been with distributor cap or rotor arm. The lead from the coil kept coming out of distributor whilst driving. Thing is, when I tried to remove it to check when at home, I wasn't strong enough to pull the thing out, so it wasn't a slack fit
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started both up, left to idle for half an hour or so. CAn't move either at the moment...one blocked in by a load of dried logs, the other blocked in by a semi-dead modern....
With a cold, courtesy of Dear Daughter, not feeling too inclined to shift logs with an ailing wheelbarrow.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same - I didn't fancy taking it out on the damp roads, even though the temperature was quite nice it's still a bit damp, so I ran it up to temperature and left it going for a bit longer, a few cycles of the thermostat. If it's dry at the weekend I'll run it up and down the drive for a bit.
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannot say as I am worried about the state of the roads, as far as my Dellow is concerned.......in fact, I did contemplate just driving it out of its nest, over the top of the pile of logs......however, a bout of sneezing saw a halt brought to that idea.......................
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between my father and myself we managed to refit the complete dropside body back on the chassis of the Commer today. We jacked the body up with a 5 ton jack and then blocked it up to keep it above the height of the chassis. We moved the lorry under inch by inch on the starting handle to get it positioned just right. Then when happy with the position we then jacked the chassis up so it met the body and took its weight off the blocks. The blocks were all then removed and very slowly the chassis/body were let down.

A job we thought would take all day ended up taking about 2 and a half hours and caused no injuries or damage to either chassis or body.
1947 Hillman Minx
1955 Hillman Minx Mk8
1950 Commer R541
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I removed the battery because it is no good. Why is it no good? Because I inadvertently left the ignition switched on and it boiled dry. I have probably burned out the coil as well!!!

Not a happy bunny. Crying or Very sad

Last edited by Ray White on Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
47Jag

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week I noticed an antifreeze drip at the front of my old Jag. I rebuilt the water pump late last year and thought it was from there. It was actually from the top hose which had a whole series of hairline cracks around it where what can only be described as a ‘sweat’ of fluid on it. Squeezing the hose increase the sweat. The other hoses were in a similar state so a full set was ordered and I fitted them today.

Art
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, in this day and age, I fitted a new steel hasp and eye and ginormous padlock to the garage together with internal bars on the other doors to the double garage.
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
Sadly, in this day and age, I fitted a new steel hasp and eye and ginormous padlock to the garage together with internal bars on the other doors to the double garage.

I have working CCTV. Even if you choose not to have a working system, the warning notices and cameras are a deterrent
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 116, 117, 118  Next
Page 3 of 118

Jump to: