classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

What did you do to your car today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 116, 117, 118  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the Aston out of the garage to give it a damn good clean, under the wheel arches, inside the engine bay etc. I took it to a low-key meet last weekend and people like to see the engine. I was embarrassed that the underside of the clamshell bonnet was covered in mud. Still, at least it shows I use it and she's not a trailer queen. Very Happy
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich5ltr wrote:
Had the Aston out of the garage to give it a damn good clean, under the wheel arches, inside the engine bay etc. I took it to a low-key meet last weekend and people like to see the engine. I was embarrassed that the underside of the clamshell bonnet was covered in mud. Still, at least it shows I use it and she's not a trailer queen. Very Happy

If there was a "like" function I would click on this. Trailer queens and museum cars are just so pointless (from my point of view).
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the car to a local show at Cholmondely Castle. I was going to wash it when I got back as it got quite dusty, but I stood talking for a bit too long. Still, nice to have a job for the next day.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the Dodge trailer out to Cholmondeley Castle today, it's first public appearance anywhere since the days of b&w TV and petrol rationing. Caught up with MikeE while we were there too, cracking weather helped make the day.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
norustplease

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrific morning at St Catherines in Lostock Hall. A large carpark full of classics of all ages and types out in the sunshine.
The cafe was doing a roaring trade. I took the Volvo along and thereafter for a bit of a blow around the area.
Spring at last!
Boring Tucson SUV
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After drawing up a new thermostat housing for the Commer I got a quote from a local Engineer to machine it. Its finished so I went over and picked it up yesterday evening.

They have done such a good job, problem hopefully solved. I will post some pictures.
1947 Hillman Minx
1955 Hillman Minx Mk8
1950 Commer R541
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took it to Oulton Park for the VSCC meeting today. Car is still dusty from its last visit to Oulton, but not overly so.
roverdriver

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'With' rather than 'to'. Have spent the weekend at 'Historic Winton' in Victoria, Australia. This is an annual meeting for the participation of historic racing cars with other visiting non-racing machines on display.

My wife and I had been invited to attend as we happen to have a 1949/50 Rover P4 (possibly the only one on the road at the moment, in the State), and P4 enthusiasts are celebrating 70 years since the model's inception.

Yesterday (Saturday) was a warm and sunny 20 degree (C) day and it was a pleasure wandering to view the cars in the display areas. We also got to chat with other view-ees as they looked at our offering. As our car has a 'Cyclops' headlamp we were attracted to a couple of Austin Atlantics. We enjoyed some extended chat and note-swapping with owners of one of them

In Australia Rovers to not attract anything like the attention of Holdens and Fords, in fact these days British cars are far from the top of the general public 'desirable' list. Never the less the passing enthusiasts made up in quality what they lacked in quantity.

Today was overcast and less warm than yesterday. Apart from chatting to those that showed interest in my car, I managed to visit with and make friends with owners of other machines, in particular with the owner of a 1927 Crossley who also owns a couple of Rovers.

The almost constant noise of un-muffled racing single and multi cylinder engines did finally affect my wife and myself, so on each day we left the area earlier in the afternoon than some. Tomprrow we set off on the 200 mile journey back home..
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut some more rust out of the Audi. Frustratingly, a lot of work I'm doing on it at the moment is fixing accident repair that wasn't done as well as I'd have liked. I keep telling myself "it was an accident repair, not a restoration" but there are several bits where they've just welded a new panel over a rusty bit and, surprise surprise, it just carries on rusting in the background. Still, if they'd put a quote in based on the time it'll take to do properly, the car would probably have been written off.
Keith D

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few days ago I noticed water under the garage door. At first I feared a core plug letting go on the A40 which would probably have meant an engine removal to replace them all, but I discovered the leak was from the extremely corroded aluminium water pump.

I spent today in my workshop changing the pump over. Luckily I had a spare in the shed and that is now in the car. The aluminium thermostat housing was also very corroded, so after a lot of searching, I managed to buy a new one for a savage $58.85.

If Austin engine spares are still available in the UK I shall hopefully get a few bits when I'm over in the UK in a couple of months time. Perhaps somebody can give me a few suggestions of suppliers in south east England.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
consul 57

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith D wrote:
A few days ago I noticed water under the garage door. At first I feared a core plug letting go on the A40 which would probably have meant an engine removal to replace them all, but I discovered the leak was from the extremely corroded aluminium water pump.

I spent today in my workshop changing the pump over. Luckily I had a spare in the shed and that is now in the car. The aluminium thermostat housing was also very corroded, so after a lot of searching, I managed to buy a new one for a savage $58.85.

If Austin engine spares are still available in the UK I shall hopefully get a few bits when I'm over in the UK in a couple of months time. Perhaps somebody can give me a few suggestions of suppliers in south east England.

Keith

plenty of bits available for austins here in the uk especialy if bits used on other cars.
i can't help on suppliers not owning one but i am sure someone can
Penman

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Might help to contact the Austin Counties Car Club before you come.
http://austincounties.org.uk/Partslistscomplete2017.pdf

If they don't have the bits you want they may well know who might.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally fitted my newly made thermostat housing to the Commer, sod of a job getting the hose back on due to lack of space but got there in the end.
Filled up with water and tried to start her but she just wouldn't have it. Another issue with the timing again by the sounds of it!
1947 Hillman Minx
1955 Hillman Minx Mk8
1950 Commer R541
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered a new repair kit for the DCOE45, including needles and a spare float. Problem with flooding when starting from cold on 3 & 4, so since they haven't been touched in 20 years seemed worth £25 instead of taking it apart and then ordering bits and pieces.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a pair of kits for my Dellortos, but haven't quite yet had the guts to strip the carbs. They basically work, and give good economy on a motorway, so I'm a bit reluctant to possibly make things worse. They're probably due a rebuild, I recently got hold of proof that they were fitted to the car in 1976, I bought it in 1986 and they haven't been done in that time. I tempted to leave reasonable alone.

My weekend has mainly been rinsing the Firenza off to go to Oulton Park yesterday to see the Transpeed racing Firenza, and washing (and for the first time in ages, polishing) the daily.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 116, 117, 118  Next
Page 35 of 118

Jump to: