classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Don't judge a book by its cover
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Richard H

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Don't judge a book by its cover Reply with quote

Served an elderly customer at work today, who brought two Austin Champ wheel cylinders in for us to sort for him. His first words to me were "You're too young to know what these are". I was happy to prove the gentleman wrong by pointing out of the front window at a car parked outside. "You see that Austin Somerset there? That's mine, one of a few classics I own, and I'm the only person who works here who owns old cars. I may only be 26 but I've been messing about with old cars since I was so high!".

He was very surprised and conceded that perhaps I did know what I was talking about!

Rich.
winchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't beat meeting a self appointed expert.
I hate it when people prejudge you with out knowing you
I was once told by the Mitsubishi sales man that due to the location of my house I wouldn't be buying the Shogun I was looking at, well he got a rocket
Kenham

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago there was an old gentleman who lived in the next village who I used to see in the post office. Lovely man , always polite but very frail, a lot of people were impatient with him in the queue , sadly it wasn't until after he died I found out he was an Armstrong Whitworth Whitley pilot in the war, a very lucky man to have survived, what memories he must of had.
winchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People often forget it costs nothing to be nice
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because you are younger doesn't mean you know nothing of classics, as discussed on here many times its not just an old mans hobby.
winchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
Just because you are younger doesn't mean you know nothing of classics, as discussed on here many times its not just an old mans hobby.

From what I see at the moment young people can't afford the classic vehicles, its just so hard for them financially
badhuis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

winchman wrote:
From what I see at the moment young people can't afford the classic vehicles, its just so hard for them financially

Classic cars are not all expensive. Parts are very cheap compared to modern cars. If you want you can pick up a 40+ year old car for a few hundred. Forget the popular makes/models and take a lesser known instead. They may not be in showroom condition but there are many for sale which needs work. It is just there are less people who want to work on old cars. There are still classics being scrapped because no-one wants them, however low the price.
winchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

badhuis wrote:
winchman wrote:

Classic cars are not all expensive. Parts are very cheap compared to modern cars. If you want you can pick up a 40+ year old car for a few hundred. Forget the popular makes/models and take a lesser known instead. They may not be in showroom condition but there are many for sale which needs work. It is just there are less people who want to work on old cars. There are still classics being scrapped because no-one wants them, however low the price.

What can I get for a few hundred? I must be missing some?
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

winchman wrote:
badhuis wrote:
winchman wrote:

There are projects around for mid-hundreds of ££, eg rubber-bumper MGB GTs, Austin 1100s, A40s, that kind of thing, or for a little more £ obscurer projects such as the Lea-Francis saloon that keeps popping up for sale. Triumph Mayflowers also pop up quite regularly needing TLC and aren't sky-high prices.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But back to the topic in question. I remember years ago taking my E83W pickup to a show, and an old boy swearing blind that Ford never sold an E83W with this style of rear body on it, so it must have been removed from another vehicle and fitted to the Ford. He simply wouldn't believe that this 22yr-old would know anything about them, and perhaps more than him. I even showed him a period brochure that showed the exact same vehicle in it, and he still wouldn't have it, at which point I gave up Rolling Eyes Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
winchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to have another look all the cheap stuff I have ever seen usually needed work costing two or three times its value.
I would like a classic to use not spend the next ten years restoring so had almost given up.
JohnDale

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
But back to the topic in question. I remember years ago taking my E83W pickup to a show, and an old boy swearing blind that Ford never sold an E83W with this style of rear body on it, so it must have been removed from another vehicle and fitted to the Ford. He simply wouldn't believe that this 22yr-old would know anything about them, and perhaps more than him. I even showed him a period brochure that showed the exact same vehicle in it, and he still wouldn't have it, at which point I gave up Rolling Eyes Smile

RJ
+ 1 Rick. I enjoy listening to the 'experts' at the shows talking a load of rubbish(I am getting polite?) sometimes while the vehicle owner is standing in earshot. The owner's face going from red to puce as he tries not to put the bloke right & almost blows a gasket. All the best,JD.
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to get folk who think that the Jaguar mascot shouldn't be on a pre-war car.

Peter

alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="winchman"][quote="badhuis"]
winchman wrote:

I have tracked...as a matter of interest only....several old vehicles appearing on ebay these past few months....that have gone for what I consider to be very reasonable prices. Of course, success at obtaining a 'cheaper' old car/vehicle depends on where one sets one's sights?

The biggest disappointment for me is when the word 'value' starts to rear its ugly head.

Why does everything have to come down to monetary value every time?

If one has a task to perform...either fork out & pay someone else to do it....or, do something about acquiring some necessary skills, and do it oneself. Or, the third way [OAPs favourite?]..find someone who can do the task, in exchange for something you can do for them? [Won't be the first time I have received a fresh fruit pie every week for a year!]

Even rolling restos can be had for the price of a modest few years old modern......much depends on expectations...and I suspect, today's expectations don't quite match reality in a lot of cases?

Edit......just posted one on the ebay forum...no bids, currently 1500....got to be a reasonable rolling resto in anybody's mind?

A short while ago, a Standard Ensign went for just over a grand...pretty complete, if scruffy looking....unfortunately I deleted it from My eBay a while ago...

Several Austin A40s have appeared recently for modest sums....

All depends on how rosy one's tints are?
winchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a lot of car for not much money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: