classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Upholstery
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Miken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject: Upholstery Reply with quote

Ive taken my '27 Cowley of the road because I cant stand the uncomfortable seat any more! I dont want to be without it for long so need to sort it out as quickly as i can.
Unfortunately i dont have much idea about how to proceed with improving it so here are some questions I hope someone can advise me on.
The seat base is about 7" at the front sloping down about 5 1/2" at the rear. (its hard to tell because all the springs are soft and distorted). In 4 rows of 7 springs. See picture.
So;
a) I can buy 7" and 6" high springs, but how do I get a slope from front to back as I cant find 1/2" in-between sizes?
b) Its been recovered in the past and I intend to re-use the old cover as its in good condition. What do I need to put on top of the springs and under the cover to provide padding and stop chafing? It had what looks like old fashioned carpet underlay or something but that has all dropped to bits.
Ive looked on utube for some help but im struggling to find anything relevant.
Any other advise is welcome.
Thanks
Mike

norustplease

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most traditionally upholstered sprung seats have a coarse hessian cover over the springs to prevent them piercing the padding and cover. Basic cushion shape was originally obtained via a thick horsehair pad over the hessian, which also served to slightly tension the actual covering material in situ. On more modern cars this would be replaced by a fairly dense foam rubber pad, again shaped to give the desired contour and unless you have a desperate need for originality this is perhaps the easiest route to follow. The pad needs to be thick enough and stiff enough to even out the pressure from the springs when a weight is upon them and to prevent that sensation of feeling every spring through your rump!
Most of the requisite materials can be obtained from Woolies.

https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/category/145/material
Boring Tucson SUV
Kleftiwallah

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had twp basic seats re-upholstered by David Nightingale (no relation to Florence). Expensive, but a fantastic job.

http://www.coachtrimming.co.uk/

Cheers, Tony. Very Happy
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really would try a good upholsterer trimmer. They will get right to the problem immediately in my experience and you won't be trialling - and erroring !
Don't know where you are but Geaters very good in Thatcham Berks.
Miken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot I'd posted this question. Anyway I found a local upholsterer who sold me all the stuff I needed . Springs , Hessian curved needle and twine, padding etc. . A Saturday morning and it's all back together.
That was a couple of weekends ago and the weather has been non stop horrible ever since so I haven't been out to try it for comfort.
Clactonguy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: seats Reply with quote

lot of info on web page. how to etc ..saw springs being reduced in height on a TV program. by simply tying inner spiral section. tighter with nylon ties.
thus reducing height and allowing spring to still function across most of its spiral length.
think there are also sites you can get tips on. such a u tube for upholstery repairs .re springing etc and how to use.
own issue at moment is where to source foam 'moulded' for my own car seats! ( rover P6)
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the seats from my Commer lorry, very rough as the cab windows were non existent for 30 years so they were open to the elements and wildlife!

This is a before shot,

Then I took them to a local trimmer, they were stripped, re-filled and then re-covered, all for £150!

This is the finished article,

JC T ONE

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job, and good price Smile
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a quote for the same job at a Trimmers near Haynes Motor Museum and it was £550!
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Rootes75 wrote:
We had a quote for the same job at a Trimmers near Haynes Motor Museum and it was £550!

"Cynic report"
Possibly, they give high quotes for the HMM and thus the same for everyone, or alternatively they quote loss leaders for the museum and have to quote high for the general public to cover their losses.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be on to something there!

The people I used are only about 10 miles from us and they did a lovely job, I will go back to them for further work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: