classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Paying to bring along your classic??
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Paying to bring along your classic?? Reply with quote

This has been covered a few times before iirc but this has annoyed me today. I was just looking round to book my Commer lorry into some shows and road runs for the coming year and looked at a little run which happens every year very local to me.

Its only a short run, around 15 miles so its ideal for a lorry that will do 10-12 mpg.

The issue is that there is an entry fee of £7.50 per vehicle, the public pay nothing to view the vehicles yet the people who have restored them and pay for the fuel have to pay to show them? It doesn't sit very well with me, If I was asked to give to charity then I would but I don't want to be forced to pay for it.
BigJohn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends, someone has to give time to route a road run, re-run to check, type it up, and print it, then double check the day before in case of unexpected road closures (that was a nightmare, water leak), then the rally plates, not those scrappy bits of alloy that always slice the fingers, then marshalling and insurance if required. If everyone worked for free, it's fine, but then sometimes people can be unreliable if it pours, that goes for entrants too. I do admit for a 15 mile run £7.50 sounds dear unless it is sponsoring a charity as well, do you get a complimentary brew and bacon wad at the end?
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The route is a set route and has been that way for more than a decade, there is no complimentary food or drink.
Minxy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100%. I have driven to shows before and when asked to pay have, very politely, said that I was more than happy to show my car for free but if payment was insisted on would drive away....I have ended up doing both on numerous occasions. If it's for charity I will happily put a fiver in a tin. That said my staying power at shows is somewhat limited anyway as I get bored to quickly.
troutrunner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a local Vehicle club ?

Local to me there is a club that do about half a dozen road runs of various lengths each year, they don't charge for organising them. It either ends up or a lunch stop at a local hostelry for a swift bevvy or full blown Sunday lunch. Obviously members pay subs to the club that covers liability insurance etc.

I'm with you on the shows, I drive away also.
1939 Austin 10.
1955 Austin A30.
1958 Ford 300E van.
1961 Austin A40.
1964 Wolseley Hornet.
1965 Series2a Land Rover.
1968 Wolseley Hornet.
1994 Peugeot 405 Est. 2of.
Nil illegitimi Carborundum
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it varies. I look at what's on at the show, in terms of autojumble, racing or whatever, and consider it from there. If it looks like good value, and I won't be too bored by lunchtime, then I'll have a go. Of course, I prefer shows that are free to enter, but I also don't want to sit in a field all day with nothing else going on.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will and have paid for entering a vehicle to shows but they have things there to occupy us. A road run is different, I think if its for charity it should be a suggested amount etc.

On the subject of shows, many local shows have dwindled in size and have become less interesting.
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a show organised by a club or if it's for charity I don't mind, but when its a company jumping on the old car bandwagon just to make a profit. That is a different matter
D4B

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just drive past seductively on show day then go for a drive thru Idea
lowdrag

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted elsewhere but I was invited to show the E-type at one of Chris Evans events. It would have cost me £100 from memory, I had to arrive before 8am and couldn't leave until 7pm. If I arrived later I would be refused admission. My answer included sex and travel. For me, one of the greatest events was the Norwich Union Classic run. I did them all I think and they were great events well managed.
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest swindle of them all has to be the London To Brighton Veteran Car Run. The "standard" entry fee last year was £583. O.K. you can get a substantial discount if you book early but despite the cost there was a good number of entrants this time. Many of the entrants are very well heeled but not all. I feel sorry for anyone who has a struggle finding the entry fee.

As to paying to take my car on an organised trip, I would sooner put the money towards filling the tank!. I just get in and go when I feel like it. If it's not raining I will be out in the Dodge again tomorrow. Not going anywhere special; just enjoying the fresh air!!!

There would soon be an outcry if we were all expected to pay an extra tax to use our cars - so if anyone wants me to pay just for driving about with other old cars, I would soon tell them to go forth and multiply, or words to that effect! Razz

Only joking! Laughing
Keith D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have said before, after spending a lot of time and money to restore an old car, the very idea of paying more money so that others may see it is absolutely ridiculous. It can be seen for free, anytime I use it on the road.

I have organised a number of runs with various old car clubs and it is not as onerous as some would believe, especially as you are arranging the run for a group of like-minded friends. Its my hobby and I wouldn't dream of charging a fee to compensate for my time and energy.

I'll quite happily donate money to a charity, but it will be to charities that I choose; I will not hand over money to a dubious promise "its for charity, mate"

Let's all get together and get these non-hobbiest money-makers OUT of the hobby.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We go on two charity drives in and around the Peak District and nearby counties each year. Each event is run in aid of local charities and each has an entry of 60 cars; the cost of entry is £30 and the routes cover +/- 100 miles (the routes change every year).

For their £30 crews receive a hot breakfast, rally plate, road book (Tulip diagrams), a photo of their car en route, a cream tea after the finish and there's also a raffle with some good prizes.

These are hugely successful events raising thousands of pounds over the years thanks in part to sponsorship from local companies who receive recognition on the rally plate, event documentation, website and so on.

What we found particularly enjoyable, when we first took part a while back after years of being members of a one-make club, was friendliness of the various car owners: all makes, all ages and they all had a smile and a laugh together - it was so refereshing after decades of petty club politics.

These events have been among the most enjoyable of our classic car ownership and we're more than happy to pay £30 for a day out that puts smiles on our faces and pounds in the pockets of deserving charities.

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That David, sounds like its worth the £30 entrance fee.

We used to go on a charity run which was organised by some close friends, the entrance was £10 and every penny went to the chosen charity, which was always a local one. They did nit take a penny for their time or postage / fuel costs incurred. We started and finished at lovely venues and at the start you would have a breakfast.

When they retired from organising a couple if years back no one would take the run on due to the amount of time and effort involved.
Penman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
As it is on public roads, what is to stop Rootes75 just turning up at the departure point at the right time and inserting his Commer in to the line once they are on the road?

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: