classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Anyone else getting disillusioned with shows?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard H wrote:
I don't think anyone could realistically complain at a rolling 20 year cut off for classic car shows, 1998 or earlier. Nineties cars generally don't bother me at shows (as long as it's not all 90s cars) it's later stuff, mostly 0-15 years old I think is too new. Regardless of any supposed pedigree or high price tag it may have.

20 year cut off sounds reasonable to me too for a "classic" car event, however we need to look a bit closer to home if more owners of 90's era cars make the effort to turn up than owners of earlier eras..... Question

Dave
Greg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gillberry wrote:
. There are also a lot of people these days who do not agree to having to pay to go to a show where you are part of it.

I agree gillbery, I like to think I'm not 'tight' but for years I've done Car Shows and Model Shows where you just fill in the entry form and return before the specified date and attend the show, only having to pay if you turn up on the day.
But in more recent years most Car Shows charge for entry, a couple of years ago most seemed to be £5 per vehicle, now it seems they are now £7.50.
One show in particular is held on a strip of grass on the seafront, to display your vehicle you have to pay but it is free to all the public!

I understand costs of putting on shows are expensive as I used to be involved in one some years ago but I tend not to really bother now too much.
Perhaps I'm just becoming a grumpy old git 😄😄
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of us on this forum who agree with not paying fees to enter vehicles in shows.
Richard H

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's another thing; there seem to be less and less shows that don't charge owners to display their cars.
Kenham

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's because some shows are a money making business, a fact unknown to many.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenham wrote:
And nothing wrong with that Smile a positive sign if there is business interest in the classic car market.

Dave
Kenham

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No nothing wrong with that but don't expect me to pay to enter. Our local show went from a busy two day show to a one day show of very poor quality after introducing a fee to enter.
petelang

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised if the costs are down to ever increasing insurance charges to meet the ever increasing need for "health and safety" of the general (claim obsessed) public, who like to find a way to sue for compensation if the get their finger stuck in a hole they shouldn't be poking it into.....
Peter
MVPeters

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

" One show, in particular, is held on a strip of grass on the seafront, to display your vehicle you have to pay but it is free to all the public! "

If this is W-S-M I've enjoyed this show several times on my annual UK trip.
It's a good show. There's a wider variety of vendors, cars & buses than I'd expect.
I've often wondered why it's free.
I'll look for you in a couple of weeks!
lowdrag

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

petelang wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if the costs are down to ever increasing insurance charges to meet the ever increasing need for "health and safety" of the general (claim obsessed) public, who like to find a way to sue for compensation if the get their finger stuck in a hole they shouldn't be poking it into.....
Peter

A few years back a woman tripped and fell, put her hand out to save herself and badly dented the alloy bonnet of my car. It cost £900 to get fixed and resprayed. Luckily they were very good about it and their home insurance paid up under the public liability. But it shows just what can happen. Or should she have sued me in this cockeyed world because my car being there resulted in a sprained wrist?
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe attending some shows outside your area would trigger a bit more interest, we are thinking of doing that this year.

My problem with that though is with my old lorry that does 10 to the gallon, I don't want to drive it too far cause it then raises my costs enormously.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MVPeters wrote:

By the sound of it, because it's on the seafront and there would probably be no economical way to prevent access to those who didn't pay. A mate runs a show on a local pub field and this is largely why there is no charge - cost of fencing the field off, having to have a certain number of people to cover the gate at all times, having to look after the money.

petelang wrote:
Peter

There is certainly an aspect of that. Our club used to be involved in a local event (in name, mainly) but pulled out after a few stories in the media about organisers losing houses due to accidents (sorry, "incidents") that occurred without suitable insurance to cover it. Pity really, as it led to some bad feeling.

ukdave2002 wrote:
Kenham wrote:
And nothing wrong with that Smile a positive sign if there is business interest in the classic car market.

Dave

Quite, I have no problem with that. I just like to know where the money is going. A local pub gathering started charging a couple of years ago, but didn't say what the money was for, given that it's the pub that runs it, on their own car park, with no noticeable costs. Turns out that was to pay for the prizes that they hadn't mentioned, and the rest to charity, which is fair enough. Similarly this year a local lake-based event is to charge exhibitors, and I'm trying to find out why.

Our club originally made a decision that we won't do club stands at shows where exhibitors are charged, on principal. The trouble is, that doesn't leave many shows in this area. Personally I'd rather not pay, but if I have to, then I want to see value in whatever shape that comes, so the actual amount I'm prepared to pay will vary depending on the content of the show, mainly.
Greg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MVPeters wrote:
"

It's a good show. There's a wider variety of vendors, cars & buses than I'd expect.

Hi Mike, this show is in the South East😊
consul 57

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MVPeters wrote:
" One show, in particular, is held on a strip of grass on the seafront, to display your vehicle you have to pay but it is free to all the public! "

mike
the wsm show is still free as far as i know and i will be going for the first time in years.
sadly the local council have lost a few shows and runs because they charged too much for the slice of grass these shows and runs use.
the brit legion bike nights were alsmost cancelled due to the council wanting to charge them, bearing in mind all profits go to charity.
there were over 750 bikes there last time i went.
the next wsm seafront show in the 31st march & 1st april.
i might see you there.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have taken cars down to the WSM seafront shows in the past, always nice to just turn up and have a chat with like minded owners. Always a good selection too.

Its often a better turn out at free meets as there is no pressure on entry forms or timings etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: