classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Anyone else getting disillusioned with shows?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ashley

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started using a computer in 1985, I still have a laptop but never use it because I do almost everything on my iPhone, banking included. I’ll certainly never buy another. I have an iPad for photos and some browsing, but that’s it.

Ironically I avoid phone conversations if I can.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just "technophobes" that aren't on Facebook. I feel no need of a smartphone - a pretty stupid phone that can summon assistance in the event of a breakdown does just fine - but I use a computer of one form or another every day, and have simply made a decision not to use FB or other social media due to the inherent privacy issues. Why on earth would I want to assist the government in keeping tabs on me to an even greater extent than they already do, or give Plod a chance to have me up on a charge of gross political incorectness just for speaking my mind - and be bombarded with even more cretinous adverts than I already have to put up with into the bargain? Never mind the fact that I don't want some of the A-holes I went to school with tracking me down... Laughing
mikeC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in much the same situation as BB, I have no reason to buy any sort of tablet - I have no wish to be 'in touch' every minute of the day; in fact my mobile is switched off more often than it's on! As for the dreaded Facebook: I have registered and tried to use it, and just given up; it seems as if one needs to be accessing Facebook pretty much all the time, or else items get missed and cannot be accessed.
47Jag

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I didn’t mean buying a tablet for the sole purpose of getting onto FB. I understand that many seniors that feel daunted by a ‘proper’ computer but would enjoy getting onto the World Wide Web. My neighbour is a prime example. Widowed 4 years ago, valiantly tried to use her late husbands desktop computer an eventually gave up. I suggested an iPad (she’s loaded Smile ) and now she is delighted with her purchase marvelling at the things she can look up at a whim. Shopping mainly, Not a social app in sight.

I have a FB account I never use but my wife goes into it to ‘do her nosey’ and express her shock at people having conversations with family members sitting alongside them. Her best friend is a prime example.

I think the web is wonderful mine of information and it’s use should encouraged. Let’s face it, wouldn’t be here without exchanging views, getting and giving advice.

Long live the tablet once bought no extortionate phone plans to pay.

Art
47Jag

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I didn’t mean buying a tablet for the sole purpose of getting onto FB. I many seniors that feel daunted by a ‘proper’ computer but would enjoy getting onto the World Wide Web. My neighbour is a prime example. Widowed 4 years ago, valiantly tried to use her late husbands desktop computer an eventually gave up. I suggested an iPad (she’s loaded Smile ) and now she is delighted with her purchase marvelling at the things she can look up at a whim. Shopping mainly, Not a social app in sight.

I have a FB account I never use but my wife goes into it to ‘do her nosey’ and express her shock at people having conversations with family members sitting alongside them. Her best friend is a prime example.

I think the web is wonderful mine of information and it’s use should encouraged. Let’s face it, wouldn’t be here without exchanging views, getting and giving advice.

Art
Rusty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually "bought" a smart (?) phone about 18 months ago with the intention of joining facebook because my wife said it would be useful, well, what a load of ****. I liked it so much that after trying to get the hang of the horrible thing for about 6 weeks in a fit of rage because I couldn't get it to do what I wanted I hurled it into the concrete patio floor as hard as I could. I have gone back to my old flip phone and if anything happens to that I will be off the mobile system all together. Most of the people I want to talk to don't use one anyway so mostly what I use it for is texting messages to family and I really don't see that as crucial as some of the younger generation.

I get on fine with this old desktop that I have used for nearly ten years and will replace it if it chucks it in but NOT THE PHONE.

I am 64
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my phone for the internet, I just chose not to be on FB. Some of the hateful stuff that my wife see's going on there is just not right. Even between family members.
If there is anything that is motoring related she shows me so thats good enough.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

47Jag wrote:

Out of interest, how does that work? What does it use to connect to the web if it's not some type of phone account? Or did you just mean you're using a PAYG connection, or piggybacking onto your own or someone else's Wi-Fi?

Rootes75 wrote:
Some of the hateful stuff that my wife see's going on there is just not right.

The great thing about Facebook is it makes it easy for anyone to communicate with anyone else, share photos and so on. That's also the bad thing, because it makes it very easy for people whose inner thoughts should not be shared, to share them.
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My preference is for the old{????} 10-years-old-now, desktop.

Mainly because of the big screen, and the big keys as I suffer from digital dyslexia [my right hand is faster than my left hand]

I do have a very cheap, 10 inch tablet, strangely, from a UK-based manufacturer! It, so far, hasn't displayed the faults most of the forums and feedback posts claimed.
It cost me 60 quid!

My phone is supposed to be a smart phone...I got it because it was the cheapest new phone I could find [on the net]....that wasn't tied to a service. [40 quid]......I also specified a Huawei.....[best make of phone the rest of my family have used]....
I have a Facebook presence, but not used for family or friends...just use Facebook to access the Groups, such as owner's clubs [who find facebook easier to use than a website or forum]....

Spleen-venting is always going to be a hazard of any public or private forum....but Facebook is useful for getting more immediate responses to questions and stuff.

I find..of all the modern methods of communication, texting is the most effective......even if I suffer from fatfinger syndrome. At least with texting, one know the other party has received the message [if not read it?]...and it will be there as & when they choose to access their phone.
Actually calling people is very hit-and-miss..but, on my PAYG plan, I get more phone minutes , more texts, and even, more data than I could ever possibly use [can't really get less.....as I don't really want to be watching the amount of credit I have left all the time.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that on Facebook you choose who your friends are and who sees your posts. If you don't like the sort of content your friends post, simply "un-friend" them.

I like it for keeping in touch with folk that I don't often see; old pals from University, or people who have moved away etc.

I do get board with some people who deliver a seemingly constant update of their life; "Kate is eating smoked mackerel with Emma at The Ship Inn" and an hour later we get to know the dessert Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Dave
47Jag

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeE,

We are ‘old school’ with a home phone line which on its own costs £19, an additional £6 gets us unlimited internet downloads. No piggy backing AFAIK.

I bought an unlocked Samsung in Dubai for £100 while on a cruise. TalkTalk sold me a sim with 1000 minutes, unlimited texts & 500MB of data for £4.50/month. So far I’ve never used the data allowance on it.

Art
petelang

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, I didn't realise there were so many dinosaurs still living on the planet, and it seems they're all members of car clubs! Within my local club, there are a few who have resisted a presence "on line" and us slightly younger ones have spent much time trying to convince them that it's: a. Safe, b. Informative, c. Very useful.
I'm pleased to say we've convinced at least two to now get and use a smart phone, and join Facebook and some forums.
A lot of clubs are concerned that their membership numbers are dwindling, as they get older the youth of the day are not being attracted to enjoy the old cars but driving a zonking great wedge between the younger people and the old un's by not being a part of today's modern world will certainly not help.
I have had to learn all about computers by myself, since the day a bloke dumped one on my desk 25 years ago, switched it on and said "there you are, all your troubles can be solved now. Good luck"...
I hadn't a clue, but I now use all kinds of media, virtually everything on laptop or tablet, even have a WiFi enabled heating system and I wouldn't be without it.
I still enjoy playing with the basic 1930's technology on my Daimler Fifteen and Armstrong Siddeley too. It's the best of both worlds.
I urge all you technology resisters to get stuck in. You won't be here forever, why miss out on so much? If you're retired you have plenty of time to learn. It's good for the brain, stops the advancement of dementia!
Get involved, join the discussions on an endless plethora of great Facebook groups, see amazing cars all over the world. Communicate with people in Australia and beyond about your beloved cars. You can learn so much and GIVE so much.
Finally, you guys have ALL THE KNOWLEDGE! Don't take it to the grave, we need to hand on your vast knowledge to ensure these beloved old cars remain behind as your legacy. If you put your experience on Internet media, it's there for the world to share and as we all say, we're only custodians of these vehicles, as we are custodians of the knowledge to fix them.
Please chaps, do join in as I personally would love to hear more from you.
My great regret is the loss of a big collection of old Lucas, CAV, SIMMS and other historic information I used to have, when I went overseas for a few years, came back and found the place I used to work was closed down and it had all been dumped. It saddened me greatly as it's only since then I started back in collecting old cars. I still keep searching and it's now amazing what you can find "out there" so perhaps all is not lost but I'm sure you chaps have a lot more. Why not put a library online?
At least, it's better than paying to attend a show and having to sit in a field most of the day trying to stop kids from putting sticky finger marks all over your pride and joy eating curled up ham sandwiches!
Peter
Nottingham
Clactonguy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:28 am    Post subject: car shows -- Reply with quote

bit of a mixed area . many shows now charging entry fees to those showing a classic car /historic etc ( if. we all refused to pay..would they actually have any shows?)
luckily my own local club has 2 shows year free to anybody bringing a car or motorbike older than25 years.
mixed. American arrive , lowered. painted etc. and varied. from modern classic such as VW 1600gti Golf through Ferraris to old cars seemingly held together with string and rust!
fees. are paid by visitors and market traders. having stalls and. those selling car related jumble plus. the usual charity stalls and food and drink .
what helps is the extras. that are provided. a local steam traction engine. music by a band .dancing shows , etc
aware some local shows tend to have same old cars showing time after time and its difficult to get newer generations interested as these cars were simply before most were born.
so we will see ever changing makes .types ad models slowly evolving as older. cars cease to get looked after unless 'investment' cars such as Ferrari. Porsche etc.
bread and butter cars like Austin allegros ,maxi etc. at lower end of scale tend to get little interest. we need to encourage younger persons to get involved and interested or risk seeing. all our cars. slowly dissolving out of sight.
events such as. drive it days. local rallies .charity runs are. good .
having watched at NEC. many paying. to get a ride in high end or. aspirational cars .. one wonders if we can get a sort of local 'ride in a classic ' copycat stuff . a way of possibly getting. young ? into seeing what its like being a passenger for a. short ride ..( say small fee split between charity/club/owner) to cover insurance and running costs. owners. opting to. carry passengers. along a designated stretch of road for say a 5 ? mile trip .
a way of getting. questions. raised and answers. raising interest?
picture of passenger in car ? a take away print or. E-mail copy? sent to passengers. address.
Have. to agree that after arriving at a show early to be in position well before 10 and having to stay until 4. can be a tad long for many ( been there) even after chatting. and looking at other cars .jumble .resting. eating and so on.
without knowing legal minefield this may raise ? as to insurance cover as car being technically used. for hire and reward ? even though only full. costs to be. covered.
many may not actually want Joe public in their. pride and joy..understandable maybe. others. may actually enjoy having strangers having a short ride and seeing feedback. ( hopefully enjoyable)
there are a lit for events ad charities that ask for. classic cars to attend to. help pull in 'punters'. yet charge owners. to show the cars.
I can understand costs have to be covered regarding. marshalling/insurance etc but unsure. the prices. charged. for owners to bring at own expense , park on show most of day and often queue to leave aside from distance travelled is for me a bit unfair.
what if everybody simply refused to attend. any show where. owner had to pay bring a show car? how would the many local charity events fare?
not suggesting we all do that. however I would like to see fees to show our cars set at pure. cost only with no profits apart from. very small eg £1 per car to charity and £1? to. club itself to cover costs ?
a leaflet given to all owners bring. a car showing breakdown of. fees. so it is easy to compare if reasonable and. against what visitors have to pay.
as I get enjoyment showing car off and chatting to other owners I have. no issue paying small fees. to. attend (£5?) but I did find the fees charged. at some shows too high for me so don't bring car or attend . (we will all have own ides of what is high or not)
no worries though as I note these high fee charging events seem to do very well anyway.
with newer generation of young folk now being shown very fast cars ( Top Gear etc) and. playing with computers etc only driving modern cars and having little or no knowledge of. two a car works ( other than driving it) we can see how interest in older vehicles is waning generation on generation.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following my post of the 5th March, they contacted me again and asked if my insurers would cover the car cheaper, so I relented and asked. The cost is £100 for the three days as a static exhibit. So, they said they would sort that out and send me four free tickets and passes to get the car in etc. We are now Wednesday, the car should be taken to the circuit on Friday, but I have had no contact from them since. No tickets, no payment - nothing. This not a car display, but a commercial event with track availability for those who are prepared to pay, and it isn't cheap at all. I mean £350 for four 20 minute sessions? I pay that for a day at Goodwood. And if you take your other half or a friend it is another £75 for "a private lounge and coffee". I've just looked at their site and apparently they have exclusively taken over the golf club for the day, which will be a surprise for the big supermarket here who are sponsoring a club competition. Fred Karno comes to mind.

I tried ringing the mobile number of the person I was dealing with, and he never answered or got back to me, despite leaving messages. That is definitely the last time I even listen to anyone from shows.
llllmikellll

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul fairall wrote:
Never had any interest in shows. I just try to get out in my car whenever possible. The only meet I go to is at a village pub a few miles away during the summer when it's still light enough to see the cars and bikes that turn up.
I can't think of anything more boring than sitting around in a field all day while punters kick your tyres.

Maybe you should get out and talk to them. Ive done a couple of shows here in Australia, the whole point being to tell people about something they have probably never seen. I do the same at the local shopping center. Never been bored with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: