classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Anyone else getting disillusioned with shows?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone else getting disillusioned with shows? Reply with quote

Richard H wrote:

The other big problem I have with today's shows is the amount of moderns at most of them. I know times are changing and to be honest I don't mind 1980s and '90s cars in shows (as long as they don't outnumber the proper old stuff) but rows of (modified) Focuses, Mondeos, Astras and so on along with newish supercars are really dull.

That is the problem that has stopped me from going to shows and it clearly affects many old car owners because it's not just that shows are swamped with moderns it's that the numbers of old cars is greatly diminished.

I can understand that clubs organising these events want to increase their memberships and revenues but I think we will need to start some new clubs that cater solely for old vehicles.

Peter
52classic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disillusioned it shows? When this thread started back in March I would have said yes. But now, with the season underway I'm remembering the fellowship of chatting with other enthusiast in a car show environment and enjoying the hobby as much as ever.

Not without frustrations mind! Last week's Barry Island bus rally was marred IMHO when a field of 'moderns' - Mainly Focus (Focii?) and BMW MINIs - turned up early, to dominate the classic display area on the sea front which relegated some stunning 'proper' classics to a dusty gravel bed out of sight behind the busses.

My taste in cars is very eclectic and I'm pleased to see any category of enthusiast' car on show. However, I do think that the organisers have a responsibility to but on a balanced event, especially when it comes to marshalling exhibitors into appropriate spaces to show the cars off to best effect.

BTW....... I'm with the dinosaurs on the techy thing! Picked up a Tesco Smartphone a couple of months ago and I haven't even enabled the Internet part of it yet. FB, to me is the devils work. My kids have'put me' on there but I've never posted anything despite being told that several hundred people are waiting to hear from me! Now they want me to understand their privacy policy - Sounds like sleight of hand to me. Worse still, the content seems to be based on people I mostly see regularly, showing me what they're having for tea or picturing themselves out on the razz yet again.

Quite happy with an oldish desktop in my mancave thanks very much.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We went up to the Vintage Commercial show at Gaydon last weekend, its our first proper commercials only show. What an eye opener, we met some lovely people and made a lot of friends. To be honest, it was much friendlier than the car shows we attend locally.
A lot of people we know with classic cars are quite elitist about their cars or brands whereas the commercial lot all seem to be on the same level playing field.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The police knocked on the door yesterday. Full of concern, I opened it, and they asked me if Saturday next I could put one of my cars on display to help raise funds for children. Suddenly I was all smiles and ready to help. Hopefully, if I am caught speeding I have one in the bank!
old iron

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amongst my old books I have a souvenir program from the ‘Sudbury mamouth olde tyme rally’s 1973’ The exhibits included :
53 x veteran cars pre 1918
44 x vintage cars pre 1930
51 x post vintage cars pre 1940

Additionally American cars, commercial and motorcycles exhibiting.
Sudbury is a typical small Suffolk town. Times have certainly changed as have the exhibits classifications. Extremely rare to see a veteran car at local shows now and even vintage cars are becoming scarce. Recently I sold my vintage car in favour of a more modern (1958) car, mainly owing to spares back-up.
BigJohn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

old iron wrote:
Amongst my old books I have a souvenir program from the ‘Sudbury mamouth olde tyme rally’s 1973’ The exhibits included :

Sudbury is a typical small Suffolk town. Times have certainly changed as have the exhibits classifications. Extremely rare to see a veteran car at local shows now and even vintage cars are becoming scarce. Recently I sold my vintage car in favour of a more modern (1958) car, mainly owing to spares back-up.

1973 was 45yrs ago, a 45yr old car then would date from 1928. This to me puts in perspective of car shows to younger enthusiasts, a car from 1973 is ancient to some now, as a car from 1928 would have been in 1973 to my friends. The hobby has to evolve or lose younger members.
Factor in the safety issues of driving pre war (I'm not including sporting or luxury models here) any distance in modern traffic and you end up with more modern content and that unfortunately for some includes recent cars. This is not just Focus RS's or ST's, Subaru's etc. but Jags, BMWs, and Mercs on their respective club stands.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would still like to see a greater turn out of pre-war cars at our local shows.
old iron

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigJohn wrote:
old iron wrote:

1973 was 45yrs ago, a 45yr old car then would date from 1928. This to me puts in perspective of car shows to younger enthusiasts, a car from 1973 is ancient to some now, as a car from 1928 would have been in 1973 to my friends. The hobby has to evolve or lose younger members.
Factor in the safety issues of driving pre war (I'm not including sporting or luxury models here) any distance in modern traffic and you end up with more modern content and that unfortunately for some includes recent cars. This is not just Focus RS's or ST's, Subaru's etc. but Jags, BMWs, and Mercs on their respective club stands.

Indeed, my point exactly, in terms of relative car age on display not much has changed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: