classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Ever written a book, or for a magazine?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Ever written a book, or for a magazine? Reply with quote

Hi all,

From time to time I ponder over whether I have a book in me, or not ... although I'm not sure what it'd be about.

Has anyone here taken the plunge and published, or had published, a book (motoring or otherwise related)? If so, was it a success?

Or have you ever been a contributor to one of the motoring magazines?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
mikeC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had numerous articles published in club magazines, and the odd article in some of the national classic car magazines; and I have to admit to authorship of this:

Was it a success? Well, it didn't sell well at the time, and I think it got remaindered very quickly - certainly I never saw any payments beyond the original 'advance against sales'!

Don't ever think that one book is going to make you rich! My father-in-law was a prolific author of educational books and poetry, and he had to work very hard to keep the money coming in ...
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen that one before Mike, how many did they print?
roverdriver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am guilty of writing two books. One is called 'Growing Up In Oz' and is the story of my life in England, then coming to Australia in 1950 and my years at school here. It was written for family and close friends. It was never actually published, but I taught myself book binding, so made up enough copies to go around.

After reading my book, several friends suggested that I should write another- one with some of the many stories that I tell, however, I tried that but I needed the 'trigger' to remember the stories, so did not pursue that, however I decided to write a book covering some of my motoring memories, and proceeded with that. I called it 'Come Drive With Me', and again, in limited numbers, printed and bound it myself.

I have been urged to do more and have written a few chapters for a third book, but don't seem to get around to completing it.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Ever written a book, or for a magazine? Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
From time to time I ponder over whether I have a book in me, or not ... although I'm not sure what it'd be about.

I have that same issue, coming up with a decent idea is the problem. I've done bits and pieces, and used to put together various work-related newsletters and so on.

A mate of mine who used to be a customer has written several fiction books and tells me that it's incredibly difficult to get published. There's such a massive amount of new fiction out there that just getting a publisher to even read through a draft is almost impossible. He's engaged more than one literary agent, and the biggest thing any of them seem to have done is to send out sample copies of his novel to independent bookshops in the hope they'll stock it, and send him a bill for the books and the postage.

I read a lot of fiction, and it's frustrating (on his behalf) that some stuff I read that has a "real" publisher and gets as far as a paperback in the library is not written or proof read as well as his stuff. So that also puts me off having a go.
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I've had a monthly column in a motor schools association trade paper/magazine for the last 24 years.
Each regional committee has it's own editor and it started out as reporting on local meetings but has developed over the years into general reporting on instructional matters and personal opinion road safety matters.
I occasionally pick up bits from forums such as this, eg. pictures of old driving school cars aand the early test appointment card posted on here a few years back.
I even found pictures of a dual controlled double decker from an old bus enthusiasts site.

It doesn't take up a lot of time, thankfully, as it is unpaid, but it does keep me in touch with the industry now I have retired from instructing.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Keith D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have written numerous articles for several old car clubs and am currently editor of a caravan club that I belong to. I also write many articles for my local Men's Shed that are published in our magazine. Most articles are either motor or aviation orientated and I get a real buzz producing them.

A number of years ago I wrote a full length novel set in Western Australia in the 1920's. The research that was required defies belief. (before the days of the Internet) I reasoned that if I chose a place that actually exists, then the story would be more believable. However, it was incredible fun and I thoroughly enjoyed the work involved. I approached a number of publishers but was rejected by all. I got so much enjoyment producing what I considered a very readable book, that I handled rejection easily! So I am NOT a published author.

Go for it, Rick!

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
RogerB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been writing articles on the car accessory market for about 5 years now and they have been published in several classic car club magazines.

I also write a monthly article for our local 'freebie' newspaper on classic cars, that's now into its 3rd year, needless to say that I do not get paid for them!
However, I have met some interesting people and cars ( in the last week I have finalized articles on a Messerschmitt KR200 bubble car and Ford Thunderbird!)

My long term project is the research and history of the RedeX Oil Additive product. So far I've written about 4k words covering the period from 1922 to 1939. I have offered the RedeX articles to most of the classic car magazines and weekly papers and, if I get a reply from the editors, (and I say 'if') invariably the answer is 'no'...

Still, can you think of a better way to spend the long winter afternoons than researching and writing about motoring 'stuff', especially when it is to cold to go in the garage?
RogerB
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have written quite few articles for club mags over the years some of which appear in my website.

Peter
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a freelance motoring writer for close on two decades, writing for several magazines and becoming assistant editor of one. After I called it a day, I edited, designed and produced a classic club's magazine for over ten years. I also designed the club's website and administered their forum. If I can find time, I'll get around to writing the book I sketched an outline for years ago - it's on a motoring theme, naturally Wink

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
lowdrag

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been writing for Jaguar magazines for over 20 years now, and at one time was set on writing a book about Lynx, but time passes and anno domini and serious asthma have pulled me back. But I'll be writing about Le Mans and the Classic and XK70 (going in the XKSS of course) and hope to sign off for the last time with the six hours of Spa, an event I have always wanted to see.
roverdriver

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick, Mike and all,
My approach was to sit and start writing. That was without any proper plan, just telling about certain events from my memories of them. Gradually I put together quite a lot of information, so then divided it into (what seemed to me) logical chapters.

With the motoring book, again, I just started to write, but in that case, each individual story became a chapter in itself.

I would urge everyone to write. Aspects of your life story will surely be of interest to family members, and if carefully presented will become a family heirloom to be enjoyed by, and even enlighten future generations.

I have not tried to get either of my books published, but by doing all of the production myself, there is certain satisfaction in that alone.

Give it a go, folks, and even if you don't complete a whole book, at least your thoughts written down will be there for others to see.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to produce the newsletter for the Austin Swallow Register. It is called "Swallow Ramblings" and is now more substantial than in my day. I found that to be very time consuming so I could never find the time to write a book.
Ashley

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a large website full of contributions from others but it’s long overdue for an update and my daughter is no longer willing now she has a proper job.

Www.kda132.com
RogerB

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote a 600 words short story for our local Writers Group called 'things are not what they seem'...It was based on a Alfa Romeo 8c2900 seen in one of the Hercule Poirot episodes. If you saw it, you will remember the Alfa crashed in one of the last scenes. The car that crashed was a 'mock up' of the front of an Alfa. When next seen it was a complete car in a garage in Ipswich Suffolk. The owner had bought the crashed 'mock up' and using Jaguar running gear, had built a replica Alfa 8c2900 using the 'mock up' bonnet etc.

I thought it was a genuine Alfa until the saga was explained to me; hence the title....'things are not what they seem'.....!

RogerB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: