classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Clearing out cooling systems?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Clearing out cooling systems? Reply with quote

Over the decades, I have heard about...and sometimes tried, various methods of cleaning out cooling systems. Some are in bottles, some in two bottles, some involve household cleaners, some involve a selection of bottle brushes!

Recently, I spotted elsewhere, someone had used central heating cleaner to good effect.
They recommended the stuff sold by Screwfix.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/flomasta-0630-central-heating-cleaner-500ml/8506r#product_additional_details_container

The stuff above seems cheap enough...and treat up to 100 litres, is safe with the whole variety of metals [and other stuffs, found in central heating systems.]

HAve any of you lot tried anything like this? With any apparent success?
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That seems very good value. I have always used Fernex which is nearly £20 for the same quantity but it should really be used as a protection for new central heating systems, although it can be used as a cleaner.

I would urge caution. I once used it on a micro bore central heating system but it blocked the pipes which were hidden in the walls! I ended up having to replace it all with 15mm surface pipework!

I should imagine it will do the job of cleaning a car cooling system but I do wonder if it might search out potential leaks.

Shocked
MVPeters

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not tried this, but it seems an increasing number of folks are using dishwasher machine powder to rid cooling systems of oil & contaminants.
The concern is reactions between different metals in the system with some chemicals. Since this is food-safe it must be pretty innocuous & certainly cheap enough for a few healthy scoops. Apparently the hotter you can get the engine the better it works.
BigJohn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aldi dishwasher descaler worked for me some years ago on my Standard 12 radiator.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used washing soda in cooling systems many a time with good results.
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Bitumen Boy wrote:

I hope it wasn't a vehicle with an aluminium head.
I'm sure Washing Soda does some thing to ally because of a tip I got years ago for cleaning silver. Put silver item in aluminium foil dish add washing soda and pour boiling water over it to cover silver item. Then watch the silver come clean, but it seems to make the foil dish brittle after doing a few items.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi
Bitumen Boy wrote:

I'm sure Washing Soda does some thing to ally because of a tip I got years ago for cleaning silver. Put silver item in aluminium foil dish add washing soda and pour boiling water over it to cover silver item. Then watch the silver come clean, but it seems to make the foil dish brittle after doing a few items.

Not only will it attack the aluminium but it will release hydrogen gas. BOOM Shocked
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
Penman wrote:
Hi
Bitumen Boy wrote:

Not only will it attack the aluminium but it will release hydrogen gas. BOOM Shocked

Both iron and aluminium heads - quite a few times, left in for up to a week and no noticeable harm done. Provided the head casting is in good order to start with and doesn't have designed-in weaknesses I doubt you'll make up a strong enough solution to cause problems, but that's only IMO of course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: