classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

At last...over bright headlights?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
alanb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem is not projector lamps be they HID,LED, or halogen as they all have a direct projection of light that should if properly adjusted not interfere with oncoming traffic and they only work as dipped beam. The worst offenders are non projector LED headlamps that have a broader spread of light and HID and LED lamps that have been retro fitted to cars with normal reflectors and not properly adjusted. My son who is an MOT tester tells me about a third of all failures on cars over 5 years old are for out of alignment head lights many due to replacement bulbs being fitted incorrectly, not properly located or forced in upside down.

Morris 8 two seater
mikeC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to enjoy night-time driving, but these days it's a real pain. You always used to get the occasional badly-adjusted headlight that caused dazzle, and these are still around - usually easily identified by just one lamp causing the dazzle. But far worse these days are cars, mostly less than about three years old, and usually SUVs because their headlights are mounted higher - the excessive brightness and beam angle, especially on undulating roads, I find quite dangerous... especially when I'm driving behind a pair of 24w6v headlamps Laughing
Ray the rocker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: post subject. Reply with quote

As I have now joined the three score and ten brigade,my night time driving ability has diminished to virtually nothing. Yes, I`m not my best using glasses but at my time of life it`s safer to enjoy the countryside by daylight and arrive home before dark or end up suffering with"arc eyes"if I`m late !!
It seems we suffer from people who break the law----a personal friend of mine who works for the local constabulary told me that many headlight bulbs fitted to modern cars do not meet regulations set by law.Most of these are for cross country or forestry commission land so are unlawfully fitted !!
Rant over--it`s time to enjoy my latter days of motoring...cheers..ray the rocker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: