classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Smoking Engine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
nzrover

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Smoking Engine Reply with quote

Hi Folks, I wonder if I can get a bit of advice. I have a Rover P4 6 cylinder that has been in dry storage for 24 years that I am trying to restore. When I started the engine a HUGE amount of white smoke came out the exhaust I am talking about thick unable to see through. I have tried a new head on and disconnected the brake servo with no luck. When I had the head off I looked at the pistons and they looked OK. The car has reasonable compression except number 1 piston but I noticed the exhaust valve had a small crack which maybe the reason for that. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Clactonguy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: smoke Reply with quote

white is normally steam .eg water in cylinder bores. we can pose question on rover forums .theres several clubs supporting rovers and many. old classic car forums or sites such at petrol heads .
if a rover p4 owner has had same issue we can often save a lot of time and get a fix in place.
was head gasket OK? though form description of such heavy smoke I would think its not coolant issue but more likely something such as brake fluid or power steering sort of oil. as when these burn they do give of heavy clouds of smoke.
well done. doing a compression test. hope rebuild pans out well . Laughing
jp928

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No power steering on a P4, so my guess would be water or brake fluid. Brake fluid should be easy to differentiate, as it will all be gone soon, and as the exhaust heats up the water should become less visible, as it will be water vapour. A burnt exhaust valve should just show as a misfire, and lack of power, shouldnt produce an amount of smoke. I hope you oiled the cylinders well before running it after sitting for that long! what year and model is it?
I bought a P4 cheaply once, with a misfire, betting it was just a fouled plug...which it was. Smile
jp 26 Rover 9
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have a brake servo?
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A vacuum and leak down test would cut out the guesswork.

Dave
Phil Lincoln

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Smokey engine Reply with quote

Having owned a P4 95 for twelve years , I always found answers on the P4 Drivers Guild web site . Some very knowledgeable people on there.
roverp4dg.org.uk should do it .
Regards to all , Phil .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: