classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Fuel gauge reads full all the time
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Fuel gauge reads full all the time Reply with quote

Hi all,

This weekend I finally got around to moving the battery from its position right next to the fuel tank up to the engine bay. New battery box, new battery leads, starts runs and stops, all good. While I was at it I decided to move the fuel tank across to a central position in the chassis to (a) put it in the middle and (b) enable me to cut the long very curved filler pipe and add a flexible section to facilitate easier tank removal. Again, all good.
Now, having removed the wire connection to the fuel sender unit and reconnected it, it only reads FULL, even with just two gallons in the eight gallon tank.
Unless I have gone completely doolally I don't recall there being a ground wire between sender and chassis. I have changed the felt softening bands around the tank for new rubber ones (cos I happened to have some nice 2" wide rubber strip)
I am also not aware that I have damaged the wire to the sender, just undid it and did it back up again.
Help please.
Thanks very much.
alanb

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try adding an earth wire from chassis to tank, by replacing felt with rubber you may have inadvertently isolated the tank from the chassis.

Morris 8 two seater
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just touched the sender and the chassis with a spare length of wire and hey presto, the gauge dropped right back to nearer where it should be. I think you are right, It must have been earthing somehow direct to the supporting tray despite the felt.
I'll fit something proper tomorrow and see how we go
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earth fitted and the gauge reading empty even with two gallons on board which is a bit of a shame but I will fill her up and see what happens next.
47Jag

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This doesn’t make sense. By touching the chassis and getting the reading you would expect proved you needed a good earth. If your new earth wire isn’t getting the same result then that has to be suspect, doncha fink? Review the wire connections. Scrape the contact area bright clean and if you can, connect to the sender mounting screw, to be sure, to be sure Very Happy

Art
47Jag

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This doesn’t make sense. By touching the chassis and getting the reading you would expect proved you needed a good earth. If your new earth wire isn’t getting the same result then that has to be suspect, doncha fink? Review the wire connections. Scrape the contact area bright lean and if you can connect to the sender mounting screw, to be sure, to be sure Very Happy

Art
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carried out the test procedures for both gauge and sender as posted on the internet by the MG owners club (I think) and it is now looking like the gauge may be faulty. It has never read quite right and always gave a 'general' appraisal of the actual fuel level so may have just given up while I was changing things around with the newly sited tank. I have a nice old 6v fuel gauge that I have always wanted to use and am tempted to fit it using one of the voltage reducers as marketed by Holden. Anyone have experience of this gizmo?
Look forward to hearing from you
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have new gauge now but terminals aren't marked. Supplier not open today so does anyone know which terminal is which on a simple classic car two terminal electric fuel gauge please?
Thank you
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: