classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

MOT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
kevin2306

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: MOT Reply with quote

Morning all

Its been a busy year so far so not much tinker time.
having seen snippets of conversations recently leaves me confused.
with my Singer being made in 1965, does it need an MOT or not?

it will be having one shortly but does it actually need one?

Regards

Kevin
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm..not quite.....yet.

May 20...which happens to be a Sunday, for all the use that is......is the commencing date.

From that time..if one's pre-78 vehicle has an MoT already, then.....if one wishes...one can fill out form V172 [soon to be available from your local Post Office]....wherein one makes a legal 'Declaration' about the car. This is then sent off, as per instructions, and the vehicle acquires VHI status. Yours is already enjoying zero-VED, so the VHI status will obviate the need for a current MoT certificate in the future.

If one's motor currently is without a current MoT....then, following May 20th, one should make the V172 Declaration, to remove the need for a current MoT.

The removal of the need for a current MoT does not remove the already-current legal duty of a driver to ensure their vehicle is in a roadworthy condition.....
Which is also likely a condition of one's insurance.

The current word about pre-1960 vehicels is, the Declaration will be a box, to be ticked when renewing VED [zero-rated] online.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, give it another month and its MOT exempt.
kevin2306

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys, it will have a current MOT by then and will continue to have one yearly but just needed clarification if it 'actually' needed one.

Kevin
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
Yes, give it another month and its MOT exempt.

Only if a VHI decalration is made....if one is not made, then a current MoT is still required...[so it seems]
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So with regards the MOT exemption, my 1950 Commer lorry is exempt as it is pre-1960 but it has not been on the road for 40 odd years.
I am just finishing the restoration, I have insurance and have a current V5 so I can do the tax stuff but do I need to do anything else before I can drive her legally on the road?
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.classicandsportscar.com/news/government-clarifies-position-mot-exemption-modified-classics

Although not the dot gov site..[which has been linked to before]....this site explains stuff, including for LGVs....

Right at the bottom is a section concerning LGVs which have never been tested before....
There is some public confusion over the responsibilities of the DVLA and the DVSA.
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
That confusion would never have happened if the DfT had left the DSA and VOSA as separate agencies.
As someone who had a lot of dealings with the DSA side I would say the merger was a disaster primarily because the governing board was almost entirely VOSA orientated.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
old iron

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the misfortune of a breakdown on Sunday, nearside lane of the a11.Also I had my vintage caravan attached which added to the woes. Quick call to rescue recovery and halfway into the conversation a police officer was tapping on my drivers window. They had, thankfully, closed off the lane increasing much needed safety to the situation.
The police asked
me if my car has a current MOT, it’s a 1958 MG saloon, of course I replied no, it’s not required. However the police seemed occupied on thier radios. I guess they have to check out that my car is indeed legally on the road, which it is of course.
it’s say it’s the first time I have enjoyed thankful seeing the police turn up!
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Police, like any other person, may not be fully aware of all the ins & outs of traffic law...and indeed, although they have access to in-car computers, those computers may not have received the latest of updates.

A few years ago, I came across a couple of Trafpol in an unmarked car...they were busy stopping everyone in sight..& had been since 0630.

Their ANPR computer was busy telling them every car they looked at, was untaxed & uninsured.

I was on my way to work.....given my employer at the time, I wouldn't have been allowed 'on site' with an untaxed, or uninsured vehicle.....so I spent 5 minutes sitting in the back of a warm BMW saloon, sipping my coffee....whilst they called in [yet again] to confirm my car really was, properly legal.
My comfort was only disturbed when they got an emergency call to attend an RTC some miles away.

Or, 22 years ago, I was followed by a local beat officer, who noticed I was galloping around town without registration plates.....[quite legally,attending a MoT, and the required trip to a public weighbridge....prior to receiving a reg number from DVLA.
His only reference was a booklet on traffic law, with cartoon-like illustrations.....Mind, he did call be that evening to apologise...and get a better look at the car concerned!
So not ever Officer of the Lieu will be au fait with the trivia?
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About a month ago I started poking around underneath my Herald prior to its MOT. For the first time in my ownership a little welding was required and, being a poor welder at the best of times, I farmed it out to a local garage who, by eye at least, have done a tidy job. But they were quizzing me about the new regs, as was the tester when I took it in for testing the following day. Both were pointing out that I could in theory claim an exemption from the MOT, but I told them what I've probably said on this forum - that the substantially altered clause is a can of worms that I have no intention of opening. Besides, a less diligent owner could easily have gone with the MOT exemption and skipped a DIY inspection underneath the car and missed chassis rust that soon would have become dangerous. Indeed, I was wary of driving it to have the welding done, but figured if it hadn't fallen apart on some recent longer, faster runs then just scraping away the flaky stuff probably wasn't going to make much difference for a slow local trip. IMHO the whole MOT exemption thing will end badly for classics and their owners, and I suspect it won't take too many years either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: