classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

New hinges
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: New hinges Reply with quote

This is an appeal for help

To cut a long story short Her Majesties Mail Service have lost some of my original door hinges that were in transit for chrome plating.

I have asked a very good local precision engineer if he can make me a replacement which he has agreed to do but with a very full order book and working alone it may be some months before I see anything. I have a magazine photo shoot booked for the car this summer as well as the NEC show in November. I also wouldn't mind driving her this year after seven years in the workshop!

Can anyone recommend an engineer who could possible make me this hinge please? (Brass 2" wide but heavier than those available on the market) I hate to let on that I am desperate but I am getting close to that state.

I am in Newbury

I look forward to hearing from any of you out there in old car land

Many thanks,

Tim
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim,

If the hinge was used on other cars it might be worth posting a photo or two assuming you perhaps have the hinge from your other door to photograph.

Peter
Rootes75

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's a good shout, I would presume it would be used on other cars so a photo may prompt someone finding an original tucked away?
MVPeters

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help thinking the GPO could have been more helpful. A few phone calls to the sorting offices along the route, to check their Lost Property bins, should have brought results.

Meanwhile, is 3D printing viable?

or just start a Mystery Hinge thread!
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had any luck with finding an old hinge or in fact having new ones made so far. I have a chap who said he can make them but quite when is another matter altogether. With a magazine photo shoot on the horizon I had to do something so have bought, fitted and had chromed three new ones of the off-the-shelf smaller type. They are now back from the platers and fitted to the car with packers. They look OK from a distance but don't bear close scrutiny.
Search for original fatter ones continues. Roll on Beaulieu I guess.
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Cast hinges Reply with quote

Good news update.
A friend of a friend who is a jeweller and general metal guru who makes his own bicycles happened to visit and asked to take a look at the car. When I related my tale about the hinges he said "I know someone who could do those for you, would they be OK in bronze?"
So, a pattern has been made and casting is about to take place. I will need to drill, polish and fettle them but that won't be a problem.
I await more news of their progress.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Cast hinges Reply with quote

1935Hillman wrote:
Good news update.
A friend of a friend who is a jeweller and general metal guru who makes his own bicycles happened to visit and asked to take a look at the car. When I related my tale about the hinges he said "I know someone who could do those for you, would they be OK in bronze?"
So, a pattern has been made and casting is about to take place. I will need to drill, polish and fettle them but that won't be a problem.
I await more news of their progress.

Great news indeed, it's re-assuring that there are still people around who can do this kind of work. The tricky thing sometimes is finding them!!

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: