classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Help in finding which vehicle this bonnet & sides belong
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
AnotherHorneteer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Help in finding which vehicle this bonnet & sides belong Reply with quote

Hi All,
I am currently restoring a 1934 Wolesley Hornet Special & these bonnet/sides came with the purchase. They are clearly not Hornet Special, can anybody identify which vehicle they are actually off.
Here is a link to a photo of the bonnet & sides
https://www.flickr.com/gp/157889953@N06/43LAqB
Thanks in anticipation

AnotherHorneteer
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mid to late thirties BSA Scout looks promising.

Penman

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
I think the mystery panels show a vertical rear edge to the side panel and vertical vents rather than being raked.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This image, from Wikipedia, looks a better example to show why I think it's a BSA Scout bonnet.

You can see that while the louvres are raked, they aren't perpendicular to the hinge but rather follow the line of the trailing edge. Also, the BSA side panel rakes up, just like the panel in question. Another thing that matches is the yellow top panels have that notch, something that doesn't seem to be very common but which the BSA does have.

I'm only just learning about this era of cars, but that seems a very good match to me. Finally, both Scout and Hornet seem to be a similar size from the photos I've seen of them so it wouldn't be too far fetched that a BSA bonnet would end up accidentally (or perhaps deliberately) paired with a Hornet Special.
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, that's a HUGE picture! I'm used to them auto-sizing smaller.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photo of the mystery panel

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

overlay by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

There's two things throwing off ID I think, and why the BSA suggestion might seem wrong. The blue and yellow panels being overlapped really doesn't help, it distorts the shape of the bonnet and it hides the true outline of the side panel.

On the original photograph you can see the top leading edge corner of the side panel which allows you to take a line to the trailing edge directly. That's why in the picture above there's a large block of yellow, that's how much of the panel is hidden.

For the bonnet, of note are the location of the four bolt heads and the notch at the radiator, both items that look to line up with the BSA and seem quite distinctive.

For the side panel, after flipping the image horizontally so it's the correct side of the car and correcting the perspective to match (you can't always do this, I got lucky here) the defining features line up exceptionally well. The number, angle and depth of the louvres is all the same and the bonnet release handles are also in the same location (note the difference in perspective here, but the mounting point is identica)l. Also, after lining these elements up I didn't then have to do anything to the silhouette of the panel as it lined up with that in the photograph.

Hopefully that helps explain why I offered the suggestion I did and may even help someone find an alternative if this proves to be incorrect.
AnotherHorneteer

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

After all the helpful suggestions I have been in touch with a committee member from the BSA owners club. He has identified it as being from a 1935 BSA scout & by a stroke of luck one of its members is in need of a bonnet.
I will be dispatching it to the club member very shortly.
Thank you to everybody who has contributed hopefully a happy BSA owner will soon be on the road with shiny replacement bonnet.
regards
AnotherHorneteer
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got that sorted, it'd be interesting to read a thread about your project sometime!?!? Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
AnotherHorneteer

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will dig out some photos & see if I can oblige.
AnotherHorneteer
Vulgalour

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent news, and good to hear it's of use to someone for their project.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: