classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Popular not running well
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
billybob

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Popular not running well Reply with quote

Looking for a bit of help here, recently purchased a 56 103e that wasn’t running and had stood for a while. Good spark, timing set correctly, new su fuel pump. Fresh fuel.
Starts well on choke, engine sounds well but it won’t tick over when choke returned. I have stripped down the carburettor, it has had a rebuild kit fitted at some stage, jets all clear, blown out all passages etc.
I think I need to try another carb.
Any thoughts?

Thanks, Jeff.
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carb needs tuning.

Also ensure points & timing set correctly.

Have you joined the FSOC?
Kenham

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manifold gasket sucking air perhaps?
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenham wrote:

On a similar note, make sure there are no air leaks where the pipe for the vacuum wiper connects to the manifold. In fact I'd blank it off temporarily as any leak from the connection, along the pipe to the wiper motor, will cause problems with air being drawn in.

I still wonder about the jets and drillings inside the carb being clear. Have you unscrewed the block that's on the side of the float chamber when you remove it, to check in their for a blockage?

Photo from the Small Ford Spares page, item 9693 is what I'm referring to.

The standard fuel pump is by AC, rather than SU if I remember right.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
47Jag

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

The fact that it starts and runs on choke but not without choke suggests to me an air leak in the intake system. The car has vacuum wipers so if you disconnect the pipe that feeds the wipers and block the inlet for a start and see how that goes. If you have a propane torch, turn on the gas but don’t light it. Waft the gas around the inlet manifold and carb. flange and see if the revs rise. If they do this is where your leak is.

Art
billybob

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
carb needs tuning.

Also ensure points & timing set correctly.

Have you joined the FSOC?

Hi Alistair, I set the air adjusting screw to 2 1/2 turns out as a base setting.
Timing set using the timing pin and a test lamp on the points.
Points set to 0.015’’

Winding the air screw in and out has little effect, so an air leak looks possible.

Jeff.
billybob

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenham wrote:

I will check this out. Thanks,
billybob

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
Kenham wrote:

On a similar note, make sure there are no air leaks where the pipe for the vacuum wiper connects to the manifold. In fact I'd blank it off temporarily as any leak from the connection, along the pipe to the wiper motor, will cause problems with air being drawn in.

I still wonder about the jets and drillings inside the carb being clear. Have you unscrewed the block that's on the side of the float chamber when you remove it, to check in their for a blockage?

Photo from the Small Ford Spares page, item 9693 is what I'm referring to.

The standard fuel pump is by AC, rather than SU if I remember right.

RJ

Thanks, I will have another strip down of the carb at the weekend, yes I removed the emulsion block.
I will block off the vac pipe as well.
It now has a new SU fuel pump as the copy AC pump was useless.
billybob

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

47Jag wrote:
Jeff,

The fact that it starts and runs on choke but not without choke suggests to me an air leak in the intake system. The car has vacuum wipers so if you disconnect the pipe that feeds the wipers and block the inlet for a start and see how that goes. If you have a propane torch, turn on the gas but don’t light it. Waft the gas around the inlet manifold and carb. flange and see if the revs rise. If they do this is where your leak is.

Art

Hi Art, 45 years of car tinkering and I have not heard of this.
I will definitely give it a try, thanks Jeff.
billybob

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of an update,
I have removed the manifolds and found that the two outer bolts were loose / stripped and not doing much. This looks hopeful to the cause of the running problems.
The exhaust manifold is in poor condition and very thin / weak on the outer edge. Now looking for another better used one or perhaps a new reproduction fingers crossed this fixes it.
Jeff.
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HAve you joined the Ford Sidevalve Owners Club yet?

Manifolds will be available via the Club stores.
As far as I'm aware, there have been no 'repro' manifolds made.

However, you do have the option of splashing out and buying an Aquaplane exhaust manifold.......

As you may know, this is a tuning option, being a better design than the original stock part.

However, by doing so, it may not be possible to retain the stock inlet manifold.
47Jag

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

In a professional garage where acetaline if available that would be the method, but not everyone has a welding kit sitting in the corner, so that’s why I suggested propane. The object of the exercise is to richen the mixture to compensate for the ‘leak’ so if the manifold is leaking it sucks in the more volatile gas and speeds up.

As a matter of interest did you try the gas on the manifold to find the loose bolts?

Art
billybob

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

47Jag wrote:
Jeff,

In a professional garage where acetaline if available that would be the method, but not everyone has a welding kit sitting in the corner, so that’s why I suggested propane. The object of the exercise is to richen the mixture to compensate for the ‘leak’ so if the manifold is leaking it sucks in the more volatile gas and speeds up.

As a matter of interest did you try the gas on the manifold to find the loose bolts?

Art

Hi Art,
I was planning to at the weekend when I have time to tinker, but the battery is disconnected as I have the ammeter out for repairs and the trafficator wiring to replace. So I cannot run the engine at the moment.

Jeff.
billybob

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
HAve you joined the Ford Sidevalve Owners Club yet?

Manifolds will be available via the Club stores.
As far as I'm aware, there have been no 'repro' manifolds made.

However, you do have the option of splashing out and buying an Aquaplane exhaust manifold.......

As you may know, this is a tuning option, being a better design than the original stock part.

However, by doing so, it may not be possible to retain the stock inlet manifold.

Hi Alistair,

I have found new manifolds here https://www.smallfordspares.co.uk/products/e93a-9430-a-exhaust-manifold-8hp-and-10hp
They look stronger in the outer two hot spot bolt areas (thicker).

Jeff.
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected there, despite being a regular customer / browser of SFS!

Cannot help thinking, if a member of FSOC [if only for access to a huge spares stores?] then a word to the storekeeper might get a much cheaper, sound original manifold? [Membership fee , for other lurkers, means when ordering spares, no postage costs?]
Also there would be access to the technical expertise in sidevalves that exists....and these guys really know their stuff!

Or, am I ''preaching-to-the-converted?''
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: