classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

6 volt charging rate.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration
MVPeters

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's really no current / amperage of any consequence passing through those points.

It's the one place you might be able to kick the voltage up just a little bit.

As I said earlier, a 10/- note or very very fine sand-paper is all that's needed to clean the oxidation off them.
jp928

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So 16A is not really significant to you? Thats what my ammeter reads to. Down here the normal std household socket and plugs are rated 10A, more than that you need bigger conductors and pins.
jp 26 Rover 9
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This charging question is still a mystery. The car has stayed in the garage for a week now and started on the button this morning. I would have thought that if the battery was at fault it would have failed to hold a charge. Last week the battery had dropped to 4volts after a run out and I recharged it just to get the car back in the garage. I haven’t needed to touch the battery since.. I sat the car on the drive while I watched the ammeter at different engine speeds. At tick over the reading is in the charge range (it fluctuates with the electric petrol pump which is not original equipment) At no point does it swing into discharge teratory and at higher revs the the charge rate increases a few amps but the instrument reads 30 amps and an accurate reading is difficult. I would have thought that a failure to charge the battery would have shown up as a discharge reading but I am unsure about this. Truth be told I don’t know what is going on.

I have yet to take the car out again but I wouldn’t like to run out of sparks in the middle of nowhere!
jp928

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant fault your logic re battery holding charge, but...I have a garage queen also - lucky if it gets used once a month for 100km. One month - battery dead as a dodo. Charged up, has been fine for last 4 months.
Check your fluid level, check the SG (spec gravity, indicates the acid strength ~= charge level) if you can (2.1=fully charged, <1.9 50%). Finally get it load tested at a battery shop. The battery in my Rover (6v) is now over a year old, gets run maybe every couple of months for < 20mins (~8A on meter), never fails to start, hasnt been charged for at least 6months now. Also carefull check all your earths for clean, free of corrosion, especially the actual earth lead, and the poles are clean, shiny, maybe very lightly greased.
jp 26 Rover 9
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately my battery is a sealed unit so I can’t check th sg. I can confirm the terminals are clean and tight and the battery leads are correct heavy duty ones suitable for 6 volts. There is an extra earth that I added to the gearbox. All the wiring and accessories are quality new or refurbished as I have just completed a mammoth rebuild.

Incidentally, something which I learned when I worked in my late Father’s garage was to not use grease on battery terminals; rather, petroleum jelly (like Vaseline.)
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to be on a learning curve these days. My 6 volt battery which I bought last June has “maintenance free” on the label. I assumed this was the same thing as “sealed for life” but no, it can be topped up if required. The caps were very tight like they had been glued on but eventually with the aid of a pair of grips they came off. The electrolyte was well above the plates so didn’t require topping up. I had charged the battery the previous night and after a few hours I tested it with a volt meter and it read 6.5. I then checked it with a hydrometer but the float didn’t’ even get off the bottom of the instrument. I tried again with another hydrometer in case the first one was faulty and I got the same result. Maybe both are faulty - I haven’t used either in years.

Being confused by these results and the fact that the ammeter on the car shows “charge” l contacted Alpha batteries who said they will collect the battery on Monday and check it out. If they find nothing wrong then at least I will know the fault lies with the car. If all else fails, I can get the car checked out by an auto electrician.
47Jag

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP,

THE 16A you quote isn’t really a problem because once the points are closed that is it until the engine is switched off. The damage to any type of contacts is at make (connect) and break (disconnect) time. Cut-out points are generally softer but more conductive compared to ignition points.

Art
MVPeters

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray

I don't really think you've got much of a problem! Although I can't work out why the car wouldn't start, mentioned in your first post.

You've established that after a charge the new battery holds 6.5 Volts - that's fine.
You've got a healthy Amp rate of 8A - that's fine too.
All that's left is to persuade the Voltage up a little bit, which cleaning & a minute adjustment to the cut-out should achieve.

It all sounds very similar to the early Austin system (which I'm 50 years away from!). You may need to find an auto-electrician nearing retirement.
47Jag

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind back the 3rd brush and reduce the charge rate. Does the battery not need constant topping up with this charge rate?

Art
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have two conflicting pieces of advice. A) over charging or B) undercharging. Presumably both can't be right? Confused
MVPeters

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
So I have two conflicting pieces of advice. A) overcharging or B) undercharging. Presumably both can't be right? Confused

Well, yes, Ray, I'm afraid so!

I was thinking of what happens when you connect a battery to a conventional, simple home battery charger.
The initial Amperage charge rate is relatively high, perhaps 5-8Amps. As the battery charges, that rate drops.
The Voltage, however, remains fairly constant at about 7Volts.

I'd expect a similar performance from a car charging system.

If the charge rate stays high (8 or 14Amps) on the car during a run, just turn on the headlights. Each consumes perhaps 4 or 5Amps & should bring the effective charge rate down to the 2 or 3Amps that I'd like to see.
(If the car has a High/Low Winter/Summer resistor, usually on the ignition switch, use that instead).

I do wonder if your ammeter is OK - with the engine off & the headlights on it should show a significant discharge.
47Jag

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray,

I said pull back the 3rd brush because 16A will boil the battery in no time.

Art
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

47Jag wrote:
Ray,

I said pull back the 3rd brush because 16A will boil the battery in no time.

Art

I don't have 16 amps. My ammeter reads 6 to 8 amps tops when I am driving.

I have had the 6 volt battery for almost a year and when I last checked the electrolyte was still about 0.5" over the plates. It is a maintenance free battery and has never needed topping up.

Alpha batteries have taken it away to check it. If the battery is O.K. then I will have to look elswhere. If the generator is producing a charge to the battery and it is getting shorted somewhere I have yet to find it. All I can say is that the battery is plainly not getting sufficiently charged despite a positive ammeter reading. If it had been getting a charge then I would have thought it would not have died by the time I got home. As I mentioned, I have two hydrometers and neither would float at all so maybe they are both faulty?
47Jag

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies Ray,

I’m mixing your charge rate up with JP928’s contact current rating.

I’m old, I’m allowed Laughing

Art
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's O.K. Art. Perhaps you could iron out a question I have been pondering.
(Remember, I plough quite a lonely furrow here in the wilds of Derbyshire so not really anyone to call on). If the dynamo is producing a healthy charge and the cut out contacts are closing as they should, and the ammeter gives a positive reading, is it possible that there could be a current leakage so as to starve the battery? Or will the short show up as a discharge on the ammeter.?

My ammeter seems to work normally ie. it swings into discharge when I turn the lights on and also when I operate the starter. Everything seems just as you would expect. I can't recall if the amps drop off after a mile or so as you would expect. The ammeter is a replacement for a non working instrument that was on the car when I got it but it seems to have been working O.K. as far as I can tell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Electrical Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: