classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Recalls info
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
petelang

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Recalls info Reply with quote

Just signed up for this from the government website.
Seems there's a lot we don't hear about the reliability of many of today's modern vehicles! There's some quite serious ones on the list.
Makes for interesting reading when people are regurgitating all that bile about how rubbish British cars of the Seventies were....
I don't recall hearing about many safety recalls in those times.
https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/UKDVSA/bulletins/1f07808
Peter
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manufacturers do a pretty good job of chasing customers for recalls; the last one I had from BMW was because there was a risk that the bonnet sound insulator may shrink!

In todays world we have access to so much information & so quickly.Compared to the 70's and before, todays cars are so well put together and reliable, imagine what a consolidated 70's recall list would have been like :

Triumph Stag owners, please bring your car back as at some point the engine will probably overheat...and unfortunately we don't have a fix!

Dave
petelang

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not convinced that they honestly declare everything though. A few years back, a two year old Fiat Scudo we bought suffered a sudden loss of brakes, servo failure. At the time the vehicle had only been on the road 15 months and we tried to claim on warranty but they wouldn't hear of it. I subsequently found out it was a known problem, often with catastrophic results, but there was no recall. We lost use of the vehicle for three weeks whilst they sourced parts and we assumed that would be the last of it.
Two years later, the same thing happened on the replacement. Still no recall, still no mention to the ministry as I asked them about it. So that's one dangerous example that slipped the net.
I know of a few others in trucks that my employers were trying to keep a lid on too.
Peter
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this AlfaSud when it was about 7 years old and was actually contacted for a recall replacement of the front brake calipers! They did actually replace them free of charge.

Peter

Ray White

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was once asked to return a Vauxhall Meriva for seat belt pre tensioners to be replaced. I then learned about a whole new world. I had no idea that I had been driving around with a device connected to an explosive charge under the seat!

One of the few times that I felt less safe after a recall than before! Laughing
Ashley

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Merc has had a recall because there’s a risk of the steering wheel airbag going off. However it only happens after a dashboard warning comes on so I’m waiting till it has new tyres or a service.
Keith D

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Ssangyong Rexton is 2007. I bought it two years ago, obviously secondhand. A few months later I received a recall letter from Ssangyong to tell me the ball joints on my model were a bit suspect and would I bring it in for a free replacement. All replaced in a couple of hours and no charge. I was very impressed. (But then I'm very impressed with the whole vehicle!)
The car was 10 years old and they must have checked through the government licencing database to find out who owned it and where I lived.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reasons for the recall are, in a way, quite funny to read:-

Aston Martin: vehicle may roll away

Mazda: Hand brake may disengage unexpectedly

Renault: Incorrect throttle pedal fitted

John Deere: Steering may fail Shocked

Harley-Davidson: brakes may fail. Shocked

All serious, but I just imagine the look on peoples' faces as they read the recall note. And yes, my Merc air bag may go off unexpectedly, but I have no prior warning - as yet!
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Rover's 800 series have an issue with the handbrake disengaging on it's own?

I seem to recall a one-time brother-in-Law having his new company car rollaway, down a hill into a shop window..the lever was still in the engaged position too.....I recall he had quite a bit of squirming to do to prove the fault wasn't his.

Ford {USA] had a problem with their products in the 1960's...with leaks. The cars would develop windscreen leaks, window leaks, etc from new....[it was really down to the then-prevailing manufacturing processes...little in the way of modern automation, lots in the way of cheap labour from Central America?]...Anyway, Ford were obviously aware of the situation, to the extent they issued dealers with a pamphlet detailing things the dealer could do to their products, when the inevitable angry customer rolled up with a leaking Mustang....

Off topic, sorry........Such a pity they don't get it right before the product leaves the factory?

I wonder,too, if the enthusiasm for dealing properly with customers with regards to faults has something to do with whichever supplier made the faulty items in the first place?
For example, brake calipers probably aren't 'made' by the car manufacturer, but are bought in from a brake manufacturer...so if they prove to have a fault, would the brake manufacturer be the one footing the bill, instead?
Penman

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
alastairq wrote:

I seem to recall a one-time brother-in-Law having his new company car rollaway, down a hill into a shop window..the lever was still in the engaged position too.....I recall he had quite a bit of squirming to do to prove the fault wasn't his.

A Citroen of some sort did the same on a hill outside the old Blackburn driving test centre, fortunately it was the first car in line parked there so it didn't run into any of our driving school cars.

I think it was one of the designs with a handbrake operating disc calipers and IMO there lies the problem.

Discs get hot band expand, car is parked h/brake applied, discs cool down and shrink leaving calipers not applied as hard, car rolls away if on gradient.

It didn't happen the same with drum brakes because they got applied hard as the drums cooled.

Of course we all make sure we leave the car in gear when parked don't we!

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:

Of course we all make sure we leave the car in gear when parked don't we!

I don't trust my modern to park it on any significant gradient full stop. Handbrake is hopeless (although never any problem at MOT time as the standards are so lax) and even in gear it will start to "creep" down the hill, something I've never experienced with any other vehicle. The clutch works faultlessly with no suggestion of slipping whilst on the move so I can only assume that the engine is slowly turning over to allow this creeping to occur, though that too is in good order - starts easily hot or cold, pulls well, uses no measurable quantity of oil between services.

Local MOT tester has told me that the standard for handbrake efficiency was relaxed a few years ago now as modern cars just couldn't meet the old standard. Why couldn't the government lean on the manufacturers to make their handbrakes better instead of fudging the issue?
Penman

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bitumen Boy
Do you mean it creeps even in the opposite gear to the gradient?

That would mean the engine is rotating backwards.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi Bitumen Boy
Do you mean it creeps even in the opposite gear to the gradient?

That would mean the engine is rotating backwards.

A good question, Penman, and not one I can answer now with any certainty as it's been a good 2 or 3 years since I tried parking it on any sort of hill - if I can't park somewhere level or nearly so I just keep going! Luckily our street is as near as dammit level and the council have opened some new demolition site car parks in town in the last few years, about the only useful thing I've ever known them do... Rolling Eyes

I feel an experiment coming on!
petelang

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always carry a brick to stick under a wheel, like I had to when I take my Daimler Fifteen to Mapperley in Nottingham where hills are pretty steep and the handbrake just isn't up to it. I learned this trick when I went to do a wedding and parked outside the house only to feel it creeping away, put it in gear and the brake was still groaning, so I nicked a big stone out of the Brides dad's rockery to be sure. I don't know if he noticed!
Peter
alanb

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Citroen Xantia that was recalled for handbrake not holding on hills, the fix was to grind off the first 5 teeth on the ratchet, people were pulling up the handbrake 3 or 4 notches which held when the brakes were warm but as they cooled down the car would roll away

Morris 8 two seater

Last edited by alanb on Sun May 20, 2018 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: