classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Recalls info
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rusty

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:

Ford {USA] had a problem with their products in the 1960's...with leaks.

Ford in the US also had a "known" problem with their parking mechanisms in some of their automatic transmissions. If the vehicle was left in park with the engine running for an extended period, say 3 to 5 minutes the parking lever would be moved by the parking paul slowly working out of mesh, and guess what, when it moved far enough to disengage it also put the car into reverse and off it would go. I know of one instance in South Australia where an owner was killed by being squashed between the back of the car and the shed wall when this happened, and my own nephew was almost seriously injured when my family's 1965 Lincoln did it to him but luckily he gave up trying to stop it and let it hyper extend the door as it backed itself into the overhead fuel tank on the farm.
The thing with this is that Ford took the usual approach at the time and totally ignored the problem which would have cost a small fortune to put right, even knowing there was a serious problem, and nowadays I think the only reason that car company's are being seen to be more diligent is because of the litigation consequences if it is proven they knew of a problem and did nothing to rectify it.
I was surprised to hear Fiat in relatively modern times let a "known" failure of the brake system slide without fixing it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: