classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Question re exemption from MOT 40+
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
nickjaxe

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Question re exemption from MOT 40+ Reply with quote

Hi all...I own a 1975 Landrover.

Its been reg historic for 2 or 3 years now.

Its road taxed free till March 2019...the MOT ran out 15th May 2018...I let it run out so I could Exempt it from MOT.

On filling in the form V112 I see there is nowhere to sent it and its to be used only when your rd tax is being renewed at a PO.

As my tax is not due till 2019 I cant see what I need to do to take advantage of the new MOT rules.

So I rang the DVLA today...the lady says I do nothing as it already reg historic so will automatically MOT exempt Mmmmmmm.

I will feel very uneasy driving it like this not having evidence it is exempt.

Can anybody put my mind at rest please.

Nick.

My other hobby.
peter scott

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simple answer is to continue MOTing it in spite of it being exempt.
At least then you have an independent assessment of its roadworthiness that you can point to if anyone questions it.

Peter
Penman

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
peter scott wrote:
At least then you have an independent assessment of its roadworthiness that you can point to if anyone questions it.

Peter

Not disagreeing with peter, but it might also be worht having a look at this to check what DVLA say.
https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-status

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The change is about the need for a current MoT certificate, by Law.

From yesterday, for historic vehicles, the presence of an MoT certificate is optional.

The difference being...for everybody who has a vehicle that has historic vehicle status....IE, pays zero VED due to the date of registration.....every time the vehicle is taxed, a Declaration has to be made.

This Declaration is about getting exemption from the need for a current MoT.

[Applies to other types of vehicle as well, not just vehicles registered more than 40 years ago]

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/declaration-of-exemption-from-mot

The VHI declaration must be done, every time the vehicle is taxed.

If one's vehicle falls into the category of 'substantially altered'........then a current MoT is required before it can be taxed....VHI cannot be lawfully declared at that point.

If a Police Officer is unaware of the legislation, then allow them to forward their report...as one would have 'no case to answer'.

In any event, not having a valid MoT when it is required is a minor fine.

Driving around in a vehicle which is not roadworthy, as required by Law, attracts far greater penalties........regardless of whether a current MoT is in place, or not.

Therefore, do nothing until your VED is due...there will be a new box [if online] which needs ticking, for Declaring the vehicle a VHI [Which has nothing whatsoever to do with tax, or Historic status.]...

I note in the press, an MoT tester complaining about how they have received zero information [from DVSA, no doubt] with regards to VHI.
I am surprised they bothered to write in...as the VHI has nothing whatsoever to do with the MoT Testing system...or the testers....or don't they realise this?
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:

Peter

I agree....at the time of issue.

But, once the vehicle has left the testing station, [and at any time in the subsequent 12 months] , it can become 'unroadworthy'.

Because the MoT test is a basic test, within limited parameters.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if "Drive it day" was next weekend, if we would have seen a load more old vehicles out! Shocked Question Rolling Eyes

Dave
Rootes75

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have always been told when getting Commercials tested that as soon as it leaves the Test Station the test really means little. If you are stopped by a roadside inspection and anything is found wrong the vehicle will be taken off the road, MOT or not.
I choose not to get my older vehicles MOT'd but I still maintain them to as high a standard as I can. I regularly check the lights, brakes and for leaks etc, I want to feel safe driving my vehicles at the end of the day but don't agree with testing them when they are test exempt.
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bonus for getting your car inspected on a ramp whether or not for an M.O.T. is: a) getting a second opinion from someone who (should) know what to look out for and b) the chance to inspect the underside while it is up in the air.

I remember once spotting a loose prop shaft coupling which the inspector probably wouldn't have been looking for and on another occasion, a worn steering rack mounting which he definitely should have !

It is really useful for your own peace of mind to be able to have a good poke around when the car is up on the ramp - so long as you get the O.K. first.
nickjaxe

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys...but have I never ever be prosecuted for anything inc parking tickets in 50 years of driving...you can imagine me not wanting to spoil that unblemished record of which I am proud...hence why I would like evidence of its presence MOT status.

Penman I looked at the DVLA MOT status checker...its comes back with no results returned.

What ever that means.

My other hobby.
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The evidence of your present MoT status is well recorded.

Your vehicle is more than 40 years old!

You need to 'prove' nothing at all.

No prosecution can take place.

Just ensure it is roadworthy, as the Law demands? [and, your insurer?]

Only vehicles which cannot comply with VHI declaration, need an MoT.
nickjaxe

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are so much better informed that I.

Not read anything like that yet.

My other hobby.
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles

Above, is chapter & verse..straight from the horse's mouth....
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
We have always been told when getting Commercials tested that as soon as it leaves the Test Station the test really means little. If you are stopped by a roadside inspection and anything is found wrong the vehicle will be taken off the road, MOT or not.
I choose not to get my older vehicles MOT'd but I still maintain them to as high a standard as I can. I regularly check the lights, brakes and for leaks etc, I want to feel safe driving my vehicles at the end of the day but don't agree with testing them when they are test exempt.
im with you on this. What is the point of the government exempting vehicles when owners continue to have them tested. By all means have your car checked if you're not competent, having said that, I guess an mot is cheaper than a mechanic
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul fairall wrote:
Rootes75 wrote:
im with you on this. What is the point of the government exempting vehicles when owners continue to have them tested. By all means have your car checked if you're not competent, having said that, I guess an mot is cheaper than a mechanic

I think the average cost of an M.O.T. is around £50 now (some places charge more while others charge less). The problem with the test as it is configured today is that it takes so long; (about an hour I think?) so you end up waiting ages for the paperwork.

A check over by a mechanic on an older, simpler car will not take that long so it needn't cost a lot.
nickjaxe

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consider myself fully competent.

My other hobby.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: