classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

I now dont have a clues if I have a current MOT.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
nickjaxe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: I now dont have a clues if I have a current MOT. Reply with quote

My MOT ran out on around the 13th May.

Got V112 from PO...they didn't know what to do with it...suggested I try to re-tax on-line...its historic.

Even thought I still had 6 months TAX remaining it let me re-tax for a fresh 12mts.

If I look at the DVLA MOT on-line status checker all I see well after a week is.

"NO Results Returned"

What the hell is going on...am I safe from prosecution if I drive it....I dont know who to turn to....

Somebody says if you tax on-line you dont need to do anthing...its automatic.

My friend tried to re-tax his 71 VW bug on-line...its already historic...it has no MOT no TAX...And no insurance.

The DVLA on-line TAXED it even with no insurance...he is not using it dont worry.

My other hobby.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given I have no experience of the new "system" I'm unable to advise. I will, however, observe that I'm seeing a lot of this sort of confusion and frustration related to it, and wonder if it wouldn't be easier just to get your oldie MOT'd. That's what I've done and intend to keep on doing anyway, but I've had no fuss, no hassle, no worry about the latest half-baked government nonsense that nobody understands - IMO that's priceless and certainly worth the £40 MOT fee the local place charged me.
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't like to comment on DVLA allowing a historic vehicle to be taxed [either because it was previously SORNed, or the tax was due]......without MID showing a current insurance policy on that vehicle....[which is where DVLA get their insurance information from.]

Regarding your dilemma?

Well, there is nothing to prevent you taking your vehicle in for an MoT test.
Then your concerns will be alleviated.

The Post Office cannot do anything with an 'exemption from MoT ' form unless the vehicle is being taxed at the same time, with the relevant documents from DVLA.

Checking the MoT status site for your vehicle will not show anything because there is nothing to show......unless you haven't checked the correct DVLA page? You ought to be able to find its past MoT history?

There is no need to do anything regarding declaring VHI, until your vehicle's tax is due. Then there will be a box to tick...which is your legal Declaration that your vehicle is a VHI, complies with the rules...and is exempt from the need for an MoT.

There is nothing to prevent a Police Officer stopping you.....a quick check on the ANPR computer will show the vehicle's age, insurance status.....thus, exemption from the need for an MoT. However, they may well examine your vehicle for road-worthiness...so make sure your brake lights always work! Smile
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really not complicated!!!
Cars older than 40 years no longer require an MOT, if you tax on line it as you experienced, it automatically knows this, tax at the at the post office you make a declaration that the vehicle is mot except.
Checking a vehicle is insured at point of taxing was dropped a few years ago, not a smart move imho, however uninsured vehicles are more quickly identified these days with VNPR in most police vehicles.

If you are still unclear check the DVLA website.

Dave
nickjaxe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UKDAVE....check the DVLA web site...that the prob....its as clear as mud...tried ringing them...they dont understand it.

Good job I have put my vehicle off the road for some work I want to do to it.

When I re-taxed it I was not asked to make any deceleration....thats why I dont trust the new sys.

I am very keen to be MOT exempt so will hang in there.

One day in the not to distant future I hope somebody will have the answer.

In the mean time I will check DVLA MOT status daily to see if it updates.

My other hobby.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have already had a long thread on this very recently. The DVLA computer automatically recognizes the date your car was first registered. For example, let's say it was 1/6/1978. So Thursday you needed an MOT to be legal, and Friday you didn't. It's automatic. The question of declaring your car as a VHI is slightly clouded. On phoning the DVLA and the DVSA they told me to take form V112 to the local Post Office. I decided, since my tax was due and I had no current MOT, to go on line. You don't need a V112 at all, they are superfluous and irrelevant. You jgo on line to be greeted with the statement from the DVLA that they see your car is over forty years old. I retaxed my car on line with no need of a V112 nor to go to the Post Office. And I have since done the same for a friend who got a bit confused. So you are fine and do not need an MOT unless you want to have one, but the details will no longer be registered on the DVSA system. How can they register details of something that is no longer required by law? I suggest you read here to catch up:-

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20343&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
They could easily differentiate on the on-line records between "No MoT present" and "No MoT required" depending on which applies to a particular vehicle.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
nickjaxe

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the impression you need to declare your vehicle meets the req that it conforms to the exemption req re modifications ie engine size ect.

Upto now my attempts online I have not been asked this question.

I think on Monday I will goto the PO with form V112 and attempt to re-tax my already taxed car and had them the form.

I suspect lots of owners are possibly running there classic with no MOT as they have not declared it meets the req re modifications.

My other hobby.
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know whether DVLA have managed to change the wording on the V11 or not [tax reminder]?...

All mine said 'a current MoT required', in the list of documents needed to present, if taxing at a Post Office.

The V112 is a general form, for all categories of vehicle that are exempt form MoT...not just vehicles over 40 years old.....

The V112 should have a box where, by ticking said box, one is making the VHI declaration.

This will need to be done, every time the vehicle is taxed.

If doing it at a post office.

The same procedure is carried out online...except a box needs ticking [which is the Declaration that the vehicle is a VHI..ie complies with the terms & conditions, especially regarding modifications?]

This is also done, every time the vehicle is taxed.

regarding insurance [and proof thereof?]

As said above, the information is accessible on MID.

Simply, if taxed, it must be insured...if no insurance, then it must be SORN..

The only difference no for us oldies is...if intending to insure full time, then no need for a SORN declaration, is there? Especially as no need for a current MoT certificate?
lowdrag

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which, as regards ticking the box, is what I will have to do because my car on the V5 says "E-type 2+2" but was rebuilt by Lynx forty years ago as an XKSS. I had a long chat with the powers that be and they said that they needed no proof (though I have it) of the date of the conversion being more than 30 years ago. I have now sent my V5 back to the DVLA - at their suggestion - and it will now come back showing "Jaguar" and in later boxes, instead of "E-type" "XKSS" and under that "Sports" instead of "coupé". Now I agree that since the exemption for converted cars depends on the honesty of the owner, there could be some people being "economical with the truth". But I really can't see how anyone can prove if the car was converted 29 or 31 years ago especially if the car has changed hands a number of times since and, as in my case, the company who did the conversion went bust many years back.

There seems to be so much discussion going on across the internet, especially people who want the MOT brought back because cars are "unsafe" as well as those who are still unsure just what to do. The law has changed and we just have to live with it, and really all we have done is bring the date up to forty years instead of 1960. No one complained when the 1960 exemption came in and I see no reason to think that the accident will suddenly rise because the cut-off date has changed. 1978 cars had such wonders as power steering and disc brakes after all.

So just go on line, tick the box if necessary, and then you will see that your car is taxed and you can sleep soundly.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
Which, as regards ticking the box, is what I will have to do because my car on the V5 says "E-type 2+2" but was rebuilt by Lynx forty years ago as an XKSS. I had a long chat with the powers that be and they said that they needed no proof (though I have it) of the date of the conversion being more than 30 years ago. I have now sent my V5 back to the DVLA - at their suggestion - and it will now come back showing "Jaguar" and in later boxes, instead of "E-type" "XKSS" and under that "Sports" instead of "coupé". Now I agree that since the exemption for converted cars depends on the honesty of the owner, there could be some people being "economical with the truth". But I really can't see how anyone can prove if the car was converted 29 or 31 years ago especially if the car has changed hands a number of times since and, as in my case, the company who did the conversion went bust many years back.

There seems to be so much discussion going on across the internet, especially people who want the MOT brought back because cars are "unsafe" as well as those who are still unsure just what to do. The law has changed and we just have to live with it, and really all we have done is bring the date up to forty years instead of 1960. No one complained when the 1960 exemption came in and I see no reason to think that the accident will suddenly rise because the cut-off date has changed. 1978 cars had such wonders as power steering and disc brakes after all.

So just go on line, tick the box if necessary, and then you will see that your car is taxed and you can sleep soundly.

I certainly complained when the 1960 exemption came in. I thought it was a bad idea then and I still think it's a bad idea now, but I reckon the decision had already been made.
Clactonguy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: MOT ? Reply with quote

lot of interesting comments re MOT . personally I was under impression you can avoid having an MOT if you declare it is over 40 year sold and meets regulations set out by DVLA.
eg not modified outside agreed points .
a point consider here is under EU current plans ( which we are under obligation to accept at moment) is that ALL vehicles even on SORN will have to have insurance as a mandatory.
this has come about as somebody got seriously hurt in a barn when a vehicle was moved and knock him off a ladder.
there was no insurance in place. so EU now insisting ALL vehicles and events must have insurance in place. even if its an. car in a private lock up garage that has. been stored there. for years!
on an aside. I have a car over 40 years and though tax exempt ( thanks very) I always. get an MOT before using on roads. easy to miss something and. another independent expert?eye is reassuring. insurance companies are looking at this and you may find if any accidents are occurring the have no Mot in place ..they may? decide owner was failing in obligation to have car in roadworthy condition and hence insurance is invalid..
in an event of an accident ..I would want full cover and not stress of facing a non payout from insurance. company etc
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: MOT ? Reply with quote

Clactonguy wrote:
lot of interesting comments re MOT . personally I was under impression you can avoid having an MOT if you declare it is over 40 year sold and meets regulations set out by DVLA.
eg not modified outside agreed points .
a point consider here is under EU current plans ( which we are under obligation to accept at moment) is that ALL vehicles even on SORN will have to have insurance as a mandatory.
this has come about as somebody got seriously hurt in a barn when a vehicle was moved and knock him off a ladder.
there was no insurance in place. so EU now insisting ALL vehicles and events must have insurance in place. even if its an. car in a private lock up garage that has. been stored there. for years!
on an aside. I have a car over 40 years and though tax exempt ( thanks very) I always. get an MOT before using on roads. easy to miss something and. another independent expert?eye is reassuring. insurance companies are looking at this and you may find if any accidents are occurring the have no Mot in place ..they may? decide owner was failing in obligation to have car in roadworthy condition and hence insurance is invalid..
in an event of an accident ..I would want full cover and not stress of facing a non payout from insurance. company etc

The Govt. are currently not accepting the EU proposals regarding continuous insurance. It is still a 'proposal'...not an imposed regulation....

As mentioned before, and elsewhere.......the MoT is not conclusive proof a vehicle is, at any given time, roadworthy....especially in the legal sense.
Insurers recognise this.....so, in the event of a claim, insures will check vehicles for road-worthiness at the time of the incident.

In any event, it is also within the Law to drive a vehicle without a current MoT certificate.

Insurance would still be valid, providing the vehicle is roadworthy [which a valid MoT does not prove[.......

Insurers include a condition of issue of a policy, that the proposer maintains the vehicle in a roadworthy condition...this is also a legal requirement, with regards to any driver [not owner, or Registered Keeper]

The presence , or not,of a current MoT certificate is not a pre-requisite as far as insurance is concerned.....in respect of a claim, the Mot has no standing with regards liability.

If in doubt, contact your insurer......but don't speak to someone who has no idea of what the issue is.
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:

I certainly complained when the 1960 exemption came in. I thought it was a bad idea then and I still think it's a bad idea now, but I reckon the decision had already been made.

What is, and always was, a bad idea, was the excessive reliance on the presence of an in-date MoT certificate, as an indicator of the road-worthiness of a vehicle.
nickjaxe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe me being silly...but I always like to think the owners of classic cars as being very capable of maintaining to classic to the highest std without trusting on other who may not be 100% keen.

I know I take 100% responsibility for mine and am more than happy to do so...throughout the whole year...not just the day of its test.

My other hobby.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: