classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1937 MG TA - preserve or restore throughout?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Your Adverts & Ebay 'finds'
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: 1937 MG TA - preserve or restore throughout? Reply with quote

Morning all,

I'm quite drawn to this '37 TA in all its "patinated" (scruffy) splendour, I wonder how much of its appearance could be preserved during its rebuild, or is it too far down the road towards a full restoration to preserve any of its olde-worlde charm? Specifics regarding the condition of its body structure would be useful.

https://ebay.to/2Jb618v

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it scruffy, too many shiny cars and not enough originals for me.
Ellis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember an article in Classic Car many years ago about a one owner MG TA which was "put away" during World War 2.
It was owned by a forestry worker who never drove it afterwards and he used to visit it occasionally with a candle for illumination.

He passed away eventually and the car was much sought after. His widow sold it to someone who promised to preserve it rather than restore.
It was completely original - paint, upholstery and had all it's original features including some details long forgotten now.
The new owner even refused to remove the candle wax drips from the occasional visits from it's owner.

Many would have been eager to dismantle the car and rebuild, rechrome and reupholster thus destroying it's unique character. IIRC it was in a Carmine red type colour with contrasting pinstripes in cream.

One thing I do remember was that the engine oil had turned into a jelly like substance.

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a lovely story of what some owners will do to preserve rather than restore.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The car for sale is not original scruffy, more like a 70/80's quick restore scruffy!

I like to see original wear, but this car is not a candidate; it's a full restoration for me.

Dave
badhuis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the silver was the original colour then its current condition could be acceptable, even preferable. But as a previous colour (green) is showing through it would need a respray in my opinion.

That said I like to see a scruffy old car, original or not. Too many show queens about nowadays.
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's just me? But I'd prefer to see the surface rust cleaned up a bit, the chassis & running gear brought up to a perfectly serviceable standard.....maybe the upholstery cleaned.......then run just as it is.

It's an old lady, with a once glorious past.[ no doubt?]

Thus should be proud of her age, and battle scars.

Then she should be driven as originally intended.

Besides, getting knocks from other careless drivers in the supermarket car parks won't matter quite so much.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been lying around a long time since it does not show on the DVLA, so laid up pre-1983 I guess. The body doesn't matter that much because there is a chassis underneath,and I for one would love to own such a car, redo it throughout mechanically, and just drive it. Saddle soap will bring the upholstery back (but not too much please) and she would be a joy to behold.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Your Adverts & Ebay 'finds' All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: