classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Why wont my car start?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Miken

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Why wont my car start? Reply with quote

Its a 1927 Morris Cowley with magneto ignition, and a gravity fed fuel tank to an SU carb. Turn the fuel tap on and it should go.
This is a regularly used car last used 5 days ago.
just over a month ago I fitted a professionally reconditioned magneto and its been starting instantly on the starting button ever since.
Today i went out and its started on 2 cylinders, immediately cut to 1 cylinder then stopped.
I yanked the plugs out and they were all fouled with fuel.
I dried them off with a tissue then gave them a bit of a wire brush.
Tried again, 2 then 1 then stop.
Repeat several times. Even tried warming the plugs a bit with a propane torch (does this help?).
Laying the plugs on the cylinder head still connected to the leads produced nice big blue sparks on all 4.
Its getting late now, so Ive left it with the plugs out to let it air a bit and will try again tomorrow.
Any suggestions please?
Thanks Mike
Kenham

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a magneto issue, what type of magneto is it? Perhaps the internal timing of the magneto has moved , is it timed by fibre gears? Has the sprocket / gear on the taper moved?
MVPeters

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

".... I yanked the plugs out and they were all fouled with fuel. ...."

I think I'd look at the carburettor......
Miken

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies,
Having wasted a load of time last evening trying to get my car to start I left it with a few stern words.
Clearly it has thought about its actions overnight because this morning I went out and checked the ignition timing which was, as far as I could see correct (within a couple of thou. see picture).
And of course, when I tried it, it promptly started straight away as if nothing had happened.
I have come up with a theory that might explain what happened.
Last time I moved the car I drove it a few meters and parked outside my house while I worked in the garage all day. Then i reversed it back in the evening.
The engine probably ran for less than a minute.
Im thinking that as I switched it off it continues to suck in fuel as it rotates to a stop, which in a hot engine would then simply evaporate out of the cylinders. At this point my engine was just a lump of cold iron. I think my engine was just full of neat condensed fuel that fouled the plugs as it sucked in more every time I tried to start it.
Its a beautiful morning here so I'm off for a drive.

alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad the issue is sorted....

Might be worth thinking about [next time?] simply turning the engine over,with the throttle wide open?

Hopefully, this will allow lots of fresh air into the cylinders, to mix with any unburnt fuel?
oldboy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I used to work on vintage boats with Magneto's we always turned off the fuel supply a few seconds before cutting the ignition.
Miken

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldboy wrote:
When I used to work on vintage boats with Magneto's we always turned off the fuel supply a few seconds before cutting the ignition.

This sounds like a good idea and I have already resolved that from now on I will turn off the fuel supply before I reverse into my garage and let the engine run it dry. I will have to be a bit sharpish with this manouvere as a float bowl of fuel doesn't last for long.
Brent29

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldboy wrote:

That's what my uncle is doing as well on his old boat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: