classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Is the Mazda mx5 the modern Lotus Elan?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
oldboy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Is the Mazda mx5 the modern Lotus Elan? Reply with quote

I often read in the motoring press that the mx5 is the modern Lotus Elan, however having owned both of these cars ( series 2 Elan and a mk2.5 mx5) I have very strong feelings on the subject but wonder about the general consensus. Any comments?
alanb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As there is a sad lack of any affordable modern sports car I think the MX5 could be said to be the replacement for MG, Sunbeam, Triumph, and Lotus.

Morris 8 two seater
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Elan was certainly pretty and lovely to drive but was not without reliabilty issues.

The MX5 definitely shares something of the Elan's appearance and doesn't share the issues and is nice to drive but somehow doesn't have the same level of excitement because the Elan's performance was exceptional at the time but the MX5 is not when compared with the general performance of many cars today.

The MX5 knocks spots off the MGs, Sunbeams and Triumphs of the 1960s and so did the Elan.

Peter
Ellis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading years ago that Mazda bought one if not two Lotus Elans and used them as styling icons when the MX5was being designed.

I know quite a few MX5 owners and they all speak highly of them and the now retired owners of the former motor museum here use one every day.

I think that says it all.

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
Ashley

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a low mileage 07 2litre MX5 a few years ago and I liked it. It was comfortable, economical, cheap to run and a lot easier to drive than a Lotus Elan. They were very difficult to change gear with because of the rubber UJs in the drive shafts.

The issue I had with the MX5 is that the steering it too direct for fast driving and they’re terribly cramped, especially in the passenger seat, so make sure you can live with it before you buy. Otherwise they’re lovely open top cruisers and cheaper than any of the alternatives. Limited luggage space too and even less space in the metal topped later car.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWMBO has had a yearning for an MX5 for a few years, so I tested one. I loved the retro feel of it, the close comparison with the Elan (but without the mechanical and electrical nightmares) and the overall sense of being "at one" with the machine.

The trouble is that then you start to research for problems with the cars on the internet and there seems to be one huge, glaring problem. They rust before your very eyes. One cannot say the Elan did that! And it seems that Mazda aren't very helpful either:-

https://www.whatcar.com/news/mazda-mx-5-rust-problem/

Nevertheless, an early MX5, rare due to the rust problems, is now very collectible.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erindoors has had two MX5s, both Mk1s, the first a UK spec car, the second an imported Eunos.

The first one went rusty in the sills and at the base of the screen, the second though remained rot-free. From what I've read, the Mk2s rot wayyy worse than the Mk1s.

I'd happily own another sometime, the weak points include the aforementioned rust issues at the back end of the sills (keep those drain pipes clear), and both our cars suffered with window lift cables snapping - so keep them lubricated. Excellent fun cars. There's rumour that a neighbour might be selling their little-used Mk1 so I must chase that up.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
BigJohn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love an MX5 but I'm 6'5".
Ashley

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigJohn wrote:

Audi TT for you then. The Boxster is bigger than the MX5 but still not big enough for taller people.
BigJohn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashley wrote:
BigJohn wrote:

Audi TT for you then. The Boxster is bigger than the MX5 but still not big enough for taller people.

I got a Mk1 Golf Cabriolet instead.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigJohn wrote:

This must be about you then! My late departed friend at the wheel of my car - he was 6' 7" His "little boy" sitting next to him is a mere 6' 0"

Martin and Tom by Tony Brown, on Flickr
BigJohn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet that's a hoot in the rain up here in the North West! I also have a 36" inside leg and size 12 feet. If you could get me in, you would need an Orthopaedic Surgeon and an angle grinder to get me out of an E Type........
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigJohn wrote:
I bet that's a hoot in the rain up here in the North West! I also have a 36" inside leg and size 12 feet. If you could get me in, you would need an Orthopaedic Surgeon and an angle grinder to get me out of an E Type........

You won't often be seen driving an Austin Seven then? Laughing
BigJohn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
BigJohn wrote:

You won't often be seen driving an Austin Seven then? Laughing

One one each foot? Laughing
kevin2306

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an early Mk1 1.6 a few years back. it was a jap import, very low miles, rust free and a superb car.
I have driven an Elan and my opinion is the Eunos is the better car, albeit without the pedigree (or cost)

Kevin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: