classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

How to re dye a faded Land Rover canvas tilt?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Ellis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: How to re dye a faded Land Rover canvas tilt? Reply with quote

Over the years I have owned my Land Rover Series 2a I have managed to acquire all the tops available, hard top with a "cat flap", a rear door to fit, a 3/4 tilt and hood frame and finally a full canvas tilt with appropriate frame and hood sticks.

For the first time in years I brought the full canvas tilt down from my loft last weekend to have a look at it.
It is in very good condition although badly faded from it's original olive green.

Does anybody know how to recolour it back to as close as possible to the original olive green?

I did redye a 3/4 canvas tilt with canvas paint but the paint made the canvas hard and the canvas paint itself cracked in places afterwards despite a coat of Fabsil after it had dried.

I have seen a U Tube video of a canvas tent being recoloured with Dylon dye but there's little detail about how much Dylon to use.

Canvas hood colour renovators are a possibility but to restore a Land Rover one is going to cost a lot of money.

Any ideas everybody?

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
Ellis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who are interested, I can answer my own question.

Canvas dye is available from Scratch Doctor either through Google or on Ebay.

If you go the soft top re-dye option from Renovo or similar you are going to pay a premium price.

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
petelang

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a kit from furniture clinic for doing hoods. It was easy to use, produced excellent results and they include a waterproofing stuff. Not too expensive and it does not make a mess of like paint.
Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: