classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Tyres - Classic vehicle - current sitution
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
llllmikellll

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Tyres - Classic vehicle - current sitution Reply with quote

Will soon be in need of some new tires. Looking at things here in Australia, its all a bit dire with ridiculously high prices compered to run of the mill modern ones; partly due to the Ausie dollar of course.
There seems to be only two suppliers; MRF in India, and Coker in USA.
Are there others?

What are you guys doing for your crossply/bias ply tyres, or have you just given up and use moderns.

cheers
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are at least two vintage tyre suppliers in the UK but I don't know what their shipping costs are to Aus.

https://www.vintagetyres.com/

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/

If there were radials at a reasonable price for my car I'd probably use them.
As it happens I don't know of any except Blockleys so I use 6 ply crossplies.

I would avoid 4 ply tyres.

Peter
Rootes75

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are Vintage Tyres the ones in Beaulieu? One of my friends gets his tyres from them and their service is very good.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Lucas crossply tyres on one of mine, from NZ if I remember right.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
peter scott

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
Are Vintage Tyres the ones in Beaulieu? One of my friends gets his tyres from them and their service is very good.

Yes, I think both Vintage Tyres and Longstone both have stalls at Beaulieu normally.

Peter
Minxy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
Rootes75 wrote:

Yes, I think both Vintage Tyres and Longstone both have stalls at Beaulieu normally.

Peter

I think Rootes means they are based in Beaulieu, as in they have their warehouse and fitting depot there.

I too get my tyres from them, very good service indeed. Cross ply tyres are a lot more expensive than comparable radials so putting radials on is a cost effective alternative. Personally I prefer to see my cars on the tyres they would have had when new so I buy cross ply tyres ( white walls for the Minx) regardless of cost Confused
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

................aside from which, many older suspension designs [and the way they're set up?] are designed for use with crossplies. These behave differently to radials...Radials place different [greater?] loads on suspension components, steering, etc.

I am inclined to use nearest size radials....on the rear. {Dellow has different tyre sizes F to R anyway, as standard]....The difference between 50 quid a tyre, and 170 quid for equivalent size crossply.

One problem with fitting [crossply?] tyres as per original [regardless of cost?]...is the upcoming proposals to check the age of tyres used on the road...by DVSA inspectors.

{This has arisen due to fatal incidents involving the coach industry]

Old cars generally do very low annual mileages.
Hence, tyre wear can be [not always?] minimal.

If the age of a carcass is to be randomly inspected [Classic car shows are an ideal place to set up an inspection team?]....we are in danger of finding our hardly worn...yet very expensive, tyres becoming rapidly unlawful.

The tyre industry [aka, vested interest?] also states that even storing carcasses in the dark does not stop changes in the characteristics of the rubber.

Do we recall the [fatal?] incident [In Cheshire, I think?] of an MGB & driver, whose tyres were found to be legal [tread-wise, etc] but quite old...and they gave out, resulting in a loss of control? [Rick will know about it]

I am not trying to scaremonger here....merely pointing out how tyres for our old motors can be more than merely splashing out....as one would do for a re-spray....for example.
Ashley

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northants Tyres stock a number of old car sizes at far better prices. For not so old cars Camskil do very good prices on older radial sizes.
Kenham

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The great problem for us of course is the fact makers now make tyres to last just long enough to travel many thousand miles in a relatively short space of time. This they do very well but after just a few years will start to crack and perish, I have some old tractor tyres still in good condition and still used probably 50 odd years old (not much tread though) but have some only 10 years old that have nearly come to the end of their life.
Kenham

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The great problem for us of course is the fact makers now make tyres to last just long enough to travel many thousand miles in a relatively short space of time. This they do very well but after just a few years will start to crack and perish, I have some old tractor tyres still in good condition and still used probably 50 odd years old (not much tread though) but have some only 10 years old that have nearly come to the end of their life.
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

North Hants Tyres, can supply a range of radials that look like cross plies, some with white walls.
Paul fairall

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
................aside from which, many older suspension designs [and the way they're set up?] are designed for use with crossplies. These behave differently to radials...Radials place different [greater?] loads on suspension components, steering, etc.

I am inclined to use nearest size radials....on the rear. {Dellow has different tyre sizes F to R anyway, as standard]....The difference between 50 quid a tyre, and 170 quid for equivalent size crossply.

One problem with fitting [crossply?] tyres as per original [regardless of cost?]...is the upcoming proposals to check the age of tyres used on the road...by DVSA inspectors.

{This has arisen due to fatal incidents involving the coach industry]

Old cars generally do very low annual mileages.
Hence, tyre wear can be [not always?] minimal.

If the age of a carcass is to be randomly inspected [Classic car shows are an ideal place to set up an inspection team?]....we are in danger of finding our hardly worn...yet very expensive, tyres becoming rapidly unlawful.

The tyre industry [aka, vested interest?] also states that even storing carcasses in the dark does not stop changes in the characteristics of the rubber.

Do we recall the [fatal?] incident [In Cheshire, I think?] of an MGB & driver, whose tyres were found to be legal [tread-wise, etc] but quite old...and they gave out, resulting in a loss of control? [Rick will know about it]

I am not trying to scaremonger here....merely pointing out how tyres for our old motors can be more than merely splashing out....as one would do for a re-spray....for example.
is it legal to have cross plys on the front and radials on the rear. I will ask at work tomorrow
alanb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure what the current ruling is, but years ago it was legal to mix cross ply and radials provided they were not mixed on the same axle and the radials were fitted to the rear regardless of drive.

Morris 8 two seater
Ray White

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
There are at least two vintage tyre suppliers in the UK but I don't know what their shipping costs are to Aus.

https://www.vintagetyres.com/

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/

If there were radials at a reasonable price for my car I'd probably use them.
As it happens I don't know of any except Blockleys so I use 6 ply crossplies.

I would avoid 4 ply tyres.

Peter

I have needed to import some heavy spare parts from Australia and found that sending them by sea - despite taking a fairly long time - was considerably cheaper than by air. Maybe worth considering with new tyres to OZ?
alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Paul fairall"]

Yes, that is the legal acceptable way to mix crossplies and radials on the same vehicle.....[radials, rear]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: