classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Tyres - Classic vehicle - current sitution
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Penman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
When we first found radials appearing the rulings about position had not been introduced. At that time we had a Vauxhall light six which had atrocious understeer and floated around on that peculiar front suspension they had (was it hydraulic?).
We fitted radials on the front when we needed a couple of new tyres and it cured the understeer immediately; however it also totally rempoved the castor effect so you coul;d steer into a corner/bend let go of the wheel and it would just carry on turning.
No doubt that was the reason for the introduction of the Not On The Front Only rule.
The other rule was, as alanb says, not mixed on the same axle.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
llllmikellll

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
There are at least two vintage tyre suppliers in the UK but I don't know what their shipping costs are to Aus.

https://www.vintagetyres.com/

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/

If there were radials at a reasonable price for my car I'd probably use them.
As it happens I don't know of any except Blockleys so I use 6 ply crossplies.

I would avoid 4 ply tyres.

Peter

Thanks Peter, but there is an equivalent retail supplier here. Cant see there would be any benefit buying OS. your links were helpful, and they led to some more interesting information.

Are the Xply not correct for your car?

Mike
llllmikellll

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minxy wrote:
peter scott wrote:
Rootes75 wrote:
Are Vintage Tyres the ones in Beaulieu? One of my friends gets his tyres from them and their service is very good.

Yes, I think both Vintage Tyres and Longstone both have stalls at Beaulieu normally.

Peter

I think Rootes means they are based in Beaulieu, as in they have their warehouse and fitting depot there.

I too get my tyres from them, very good service indeed. Cross ply tyres are a lot more expensive than comparable radials so putting radials on is a cost effective alternative. Personally I prefer to see my cars on the tyres they would have had when new so I buy cross ply tyres ( white walls for the Minx) regardless of cost Confused

I agree with the sentiment, but cost is a big factor for me. A grand for four tyres is mad. Ive used radials as a temp. measure, but they have got to go, so looking to source elsewhere.

Mike
llllmikellll

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenham wrote:
The great problem for us of course is the fact makers now make tyres to last just long enough to travel many thousand miles in a relatively short space of time. This they do very well but after just a few years will start to crack and perish, I have some old tractor tyres still in good condition and still used probably 50 odd years old (not much tread though) but have some only 10 years old that have nearly come to the end of their life.

Yes it does seem that way. I had some on an un-rebuilt van from the 1950s that only recently just fell to pieces where they stood.
However, since I have maybe twenty years of driving left if lucky, the tyre life expectancy is not such an issue.

Mike
llllmikellll

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

V8 Nutter wrote:
North Hants Tyres, can supply a range of radials that look like cross plies, some with white walls.

But my van is 1950 and therefore should have xply, as original. I could drive it on the radials, but I get more fanatic by the day. Coker make a nice R that looks like a xply, but they too are expensive here.
The funny thing is, in the 1960s driving home each day getting thrown this way that on the tramtrack, I hated the very idea of xply, and drum brakes, and carbies. Now Ive gone back to them.

Mike
llllmikellll

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alanb wrote:
I am not sure what the current ruling is, but years ago it was legal to mix cross ply and radials provided they were not mixed on the same axle and the radials were fitted to the rear regardless of drive.

Correct, and I dont see why it would change, but why would you bother. We did that because a couple of them may have still had good tread.

Mike
llllmikellll

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
peter scott wrote:
There are at least two vintage tyre suppliers in the UK but I don't know what their shipping costs are to Aus.

https://www.vintagetyres.com/

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/

If there were radials at a reasonable price for my car I'd probably use them.
As it happens I don't know of any except Blockleys so I use 6 ply crossplies.

I would avoid 4 ply tyres.

Peter

I have needed to import some heavy spare parts from Australia and found that sending them by sea - despite taking a fairly long time - was considerably cheaper than by air. Maybe worth considering with new tyres to OZ?

Yes, certainly. and I will be looking at the possibility, but think it will still be very marginal.

Mike
lowdrag

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic, but mentioned above was the age of the tyres. I was quite amused when SWMBO needed new front tyres recently for her Yaris. They commented that the rears were nine years old, so they had to be the originals. The car has done 64,000 miles so far and there is still half the tread left!
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
Off topic, but mentioned above was the age of the tyres. I was quite amused when SWMBO needed new front tyres recently for her Yaris. They commented that the rears were nine years old, so they had to be the originals. The car has done 64,000 miles so far and there is still half the tread left!
I had a BMW 6 series that was 5 years old when I changed it. It still had the original front tyres, original front and rear disc's / pads @ 70,000 miles. I'd had it from new if you don't drive hard, there is very little wear on the non driving tyres.

Dave
47Jag

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a graphic example of age related tyre failure on my wife’s BMW Mini. About four years ago I was checking the tyre pressures and found one of the rear was a couple of pounds down. I got the compressor going and was down close to the wheel when I heard a creaking noise. The outside tyre wall was looking OK but when I looked at the inner wall it was a mass of ripples like a muscleman’s six pack. The car only had 15K miles on the clock but was at the time was twelve years old. The sun used to be blamed for causing sidewall cracks but this car spends most of it’s life in the garage so the obsolescence must be built in😯

Art
colwyn500

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two identical tyres; the one on the right had been fitted to my car for 40 years as it awaited a maddo to restore it. The tyre is completely out of shape but I wouldn't have known without the comparison.

BRA_7915 by Peter Thompson, on Flickr
Penman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
This talk about tyre degradation through age should also act as a warning for trailer and caravan users because they will rarely use up their tread depth before age takes it's toll.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colwyn500 wrote:
Two identical tyres; the one on the right had been fitted to my car for 40 years as it awaited a maddo to restore it. The tyre is completely out of shape but I wouldn't have known without the comparison.

I think the comparison isn't quite fair. You would need to display them both correctly inflated and not with the new tyre displaced relative to the old one. (Looking at the relationship where they contact the ground.)

Peter
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The age thing isn't a legal issue at the moment [although may be covered by general rules governing tyre maintenance?]......but the {UK] Government are supposed to be publishing a report later this year, on tyre degradation, effects, etc....and a follow-up with the possibility of legislation?

How many have checked their spare wheel for age or integrity? Many spares will have been in situ from new, possibly?

As I mentioned before, I cannot find any age codes on my Avon Tourists....not sure when they started putting them on their cross-ply tyres? [If ever?]

There s much online 'advice' from various organisations, including those associated with caravans...

Maybe the Govt. are hoping we'll all comply voluntarily ? [It's a cheaper option than Law, and consequent need for enforcement?]
colwyn500

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
colwyn500 wrote:

I think the comparison isn't quite fair. You would need to display them both correctly inflated and not with the new tyre displaced relative to the old one. (Looking at the relationship where they contact the ground.)

Peter

You may be correct; but the image was taken quite a few years ago, therefore obviously not simply to support the point made here nor intentionally positioned to emphasise the argumenent. At the time, I was really surprised to see the difference, which is why I took the photo.
When fully inflated, the tyre pressure is only 17lbs psi.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: