classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Tyres - Classic vehicle - current sitution
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
The age thing isn't a legal issue at the moment [although may be covered by general rules governing tyre maintenance?]......but the {UK] Government are supposed to be publishing a report later this year, on tyre degradation, effects, etc....and a follow-up with the possibility of legislation?

How many have checked their spare wheel for age or integrity? Many spares will have been in situ from new, possibly?

As I mentioned before, I cannot find any age codes on my Avon Tourists....not sure when they started putting them on their cross-ply tyres? [If ever?]

There s much online 'advice' from various organisations, including those associated with caravans...

Maybe the Govt. are hoping we'll all comply voluntarily ? [It's a cheaper option than Law, and consequent need for enforcement?]

Since when did the UK Government give any thought to the practicality of enforcing the new laws they pass? Look at the mobile phone law - I'm all for it but see it being flouted almost constantly every time I leave the house. Maybe they're hoping someone will invent a mobile phone camera? Constantly passing laws without putting in place the resources to enforce those laws is a pointless exercise that just looks like the politicians are trying to justify their continued existence and fat pay packets.
Mog

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a law in Australia that you have to wear a helmet when riding a bicycle . Very few have been charged as they do not carry any i.d. So what is the point of making that law ? The police force would have to be doubled . They tell us the number of new police but not the number that have dropped out .
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of our regulations are brought about by the clamour of a vociferous minority.

The regulation is emplaced, simply so that Government can say 'look, we're actually doing something about it'.

Even the recent crisis regarding citizenship, arose initially because of unfounded [based on heresay]..clamour from a section of our voting public with regard to illegal immigration. [and yes, I, too, experienced the effects of what was initially....over 70 years ago, deemed appropriate [as in, OK?] policy in this regard.....in my Mother's case.]

We didn't 'need' specific mobile phone regulation....but the unthinking clamour got it in place.

Our unending regulations are arrived at as a result of sheer ignorance on the public's part [shouldn't be allowed, etc].....

Of curse, we all want lower taxation, don't we?

Where exactly is the money to pay for enforcement going to come from?
lowdrag

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked in the boot of one of my cars. The tyre is still round, it still holds air, and at £305 each it is staying there. When was the last time you had a puncture in one of your classics? Mine was 12 years back when the tape crumbled and a spoke touched the inner tube. Now I have new wheels, new tyres (worn out - no concern) and no inner tubes. But from memory that is the only time in over 30 years that I have had a puncture with that car.
mikeC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it happens, I got a puncture last week in the Lancia. It was the first time I had had a good look at the spare (other than establishing that there was reasonable tread on it). It turns out to be , probably, the original 1953 Michelin complete with the remains of the white wall ... but it was so hard and crazed that the car was almost undriveable, weaving all over the road. The other four tyres are Firestones dating from 2009, so I have now got to decide whether I soldier on with nine year old tyres (which appear to still be in good condition) and just replace the spare, or fork out nearly £1,000 for a set of five Crying or Very sad
llllmikellll

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeC wrote:
As it happens, I got a puncture last week in the Lancia. It was the first time I had had a good look at the spare (other than establishing that there was reasonable tread on it). It turns out to be , probably, the original 1953 Michelin complete with the remains of the white wall ... but it was so hard and crazed that the car was almost undriveable, weaving all over the road. The other four tyres are Firestones dating from 2009, so I have now got to decide whether I soldier on with nine year old tyres (which appear to still be in good condition) and just replace the spare, or fork out nearly £1,000 for a set of five Crying or Very sad

That is what Im getting at. Add transport cost to that thousand, and the dollar at US$0.75 its getting a bit silly.
The 6.00-16 B.F.Goodrich xply at £180 from North Hants converts to Aus$322 before transport.
I paid Aus$160 for modern 6.50R-16 (smallest available), now around $170.
Very hard to justify the cost for period tyres, and these are comming out of Thailand as I understand. Maybe they should have gone for China.

If your concerned about degradation with older tyres, check for cracking in the sidewall at the bottom, or if off wheel, bend the sidewall with your fingers. Any cracks will open and become visible. Cracks let moisture get to the webbing & causes rotting. Time for replacement.

cheers,

Mike
alastairq

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For driving about [forget 'period' tyres....you wouldn't want to fit 'period' brake linings.....or ' old 'oil?]....use 175/80 x 16 radials.

Usually referred to as 'taxi' tyres.....Michelin XC4S [taxi] are good....stiff enough of sidewall to mimic the character of a crossply [without the skateboard grip]......not too aggressive a tread pattern.
Nankang FT7 is another in the same size, but only 2 ply carcass, so a bit more supple.....use a potato peeler to remove the white moulded lettering...[or spend a happy hour with a single-sided razor blade...just to keep in period?]....and mount tyre with lettering on the inside. Again, not an overly aggressive tread patter [for a 4wd-aimed tyre]....

Or, simply go for the cheapest 175/80 x 16 tyre available [usually found in the 'van' ranges]....UK cost around £50....?

{I have experience of the first two....as my tyre choice is dictated by the ''permitted tyre list'' for Classic Reliability Trials...where a 'road'' pattern-type tyre only, is permitted [for driving off-road}...

175/80 x 16 radials will fit where a 6.00 x 16 is used...or even, where a 5.50 x 16 is used...for example....16 inch wheels as fitted to upright Ford Prefects? [which will also fit a Ford Pop] to give some idea of how spindly a wheel width they will sit comfortably on.
llllmikellll

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
For driving about [forget 'period' tyres....you wouldn't want to fit 'period' brake linings.....or ' old 'oil?]....use 175/80 x 16 radials.

Usually referred to as 'taxi' tyres.....Michelin XC4S [taxi] are good....stiff enough of sidewall to mimic the character of a crossply [without the skateboard grip]......not too aggressive a tread pattern.
Nankang FT7 is another in the same size, but only 2 ply carcass, so a bit more supple.....use a potato peeler to remove the white moulded lettering...[or spend a happy hour with a single-sided razor blade...just to keep in period?]....and mount tyre with lettering on the inside. Again, not an overly aggressive tread patter [for a 4wd-aimed tyre]....

Or, simply go for the cheapest 175/80 x 16 tyre available [usually found in the 'van' ranges]....UK cost around £50....?

{I have experience of the first two....as my tyre choice is dictated by the ''permitted tyre list'' for Classic Reliability Trials...where a 'road'' pattern-type tyre only, is permitted [for driving off-road}...

175/80 x 16 radials will fit where a 6.00 x 16 is used...or even, where a 5.50 x 16 is used...for example....16 inch wheels as fitted to upright Ford Prefects? [which will also fit a Ford Pop] to give some idea of how spindly a wheel width they will sit comfortably on.

Thanks, but low profile radials just dont cut it. Its a 50s commercial vehicle, and Ive already been using the 6.50R16 since going onroad in 2011. At least they roughly look the part though destroy the driving experience, and they are great for anyone thats into collecting small stones. Dont see the point of driving a classic on radials. The default will be some MRF at Aus$192. I will just grit the teeth and avoid looking at the tread.

Mike
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 175/80 x 16 are not low profile, by any means...they are equivalent in rolling diameter to 6.00 x 16 cross ply tyres.

The Michelin tyre I quoted is a heavy duty [6 or 8 ply] tyre suitable for London Taxicabs, and vans in general.

A trawl through ebay will find equally suitable 175/80 x 16 van tyres which fit....albeit with more 'generic' tread patterns.

I use both Michelin taxis, and the Nankang tyres on the rear of my Dellow....where original fitment was 6.00 x 16 crossplies.
[I have a 6.00 x 16 Firestone crossply tyre...couldn't afford to buy another, at around £170 a throw!!]

I suspect Michelins are available in Australia?

Might be worth looking at local generic 175/80 x 16 van tyres too?
Ashley

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
The 175/80 x 16 are not low profile, by any means...they are equivalent in rolling diameter to 6.00 x 16 cross ply tyres.

The Michelin tyre I quoted is a heavy duty [6 or 8 ply] tyre suitable for London Taxicabs, and vans in general.

A trawl through ebay will find equally suitable 175/80 x 16 van tyres which fit....albeit with more 'generic' tread patterns.

I use both Michelin taxis, and the Nankang tyres on the rear of my Dellow....where original fitment was 6.00 x 16 crossplies.
[I have a 6.00 x 16 Firestone crossply tyre...couldn't afford to buy another, at around £170 a throw!!]

I suspect Michelins are available in Australia?

Might be worth looking at local generic 175/80 x 16 van tyres too?

175/80 x 16 are low profile tyres, the 80 means they’re 80% as high as they are wide. This means a larger contact patch, less heat, a softer compound, more grip and still a longer life.

All cross plies are 100% aspect ratio unless they are bias plié in which case they might have a slightly wider tread.

I hope this helps
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry...I am mixing tyre types here...80 aspect ratio is very rarely exceeded with regard to commonly used/available radial tyres. Hence, my assertion that an 80 aspect ratio is not a low profile....comparatively speaking [Not when common tyres these days are 60 or 50 aspect ratio?].
Try persuading an owner to fit 80 aspect ratio tyres to their new Audi, for example.

However, as I said above, the overall diameter of a 175/80 x 16 is identical to a 6.00 x 16. [As near as dammit]....and is a very useful alternative..ie. more easily available, for example...and not just through an extremely limited number of suppliers.

Maybe because the 175/80 radial will likely have a slightly wider overall tread diameter[cross-section]...than the 6.00 crossply, thus an 80% aspect radial, comes out very like the 6.00 [100%] crossply.

I quote those sizes as I have direct, and long-time experience of using both, on the same [or similar] vehicles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: