classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Decline of motor industries
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Decline of motor industries Reply with quote

Whilst we may have a pop at the decline of the English motor industries from its heyday of the mid 60's other countries have fared worse, by way of an example the Columbia brand founded in 1899 is now defunct. Swedish brands like Saab have disappeared, Volvo still exists but who knows how it will all play out?

Dave
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who owns Volvo now? Isn't it Ford?
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly was Ford at one point, their PAG (Premier Automotive Group) was Volvo, Land Rover / Range Rover and Aston Martin, I think.
V8 Nutter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure but I think Volvo is now owned by a Chinese company. The American motor industry has suffered badly. In the mid 60's Chevrolet and Ford were producing about 2 million vehicles a year. They are down to about half that now. Pontiac Oldsmobile and Mercury have gone. Chrysler could be next.
badhuis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rootes75 wrote:
Who owns Volvo now? Isn't it Ford?

Geely (Chinese). Which also owns the London Taxi firm. And recent addition Lotus I think?
badhuis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V8 Nutter wrote:
Pontiac Oldsmobile and Mercury have gone. Chrysler could be next.

And those were only the GM makes.
Chrysler corp used to have Plymouth, DeSoto and Fargo (truck). Imperial as a separate make until early 60s.
Ellis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What seems ironic to me is that it appears that the motor industries of France and Germany seem buoyant, thriving even.

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
mikeC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The British Motor Industry is buoyant and thriving; it's just that it is owned by Japanese, German and Chinese! I agree it is interesting that the German, French and Italian manufacturers are still largely owned by native organisations, though.
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My [jaundiced] view?

Manufacturing, in itself, is a declining industry for this country....we just aren't cheap enough.

However, where we do excel, is in research & development.

Plus, niche, bespoke [almost] creation. [Morgan et al?]
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
My [jaundiced] view?

Manufacturing, in itself, is a declining industry for this country....we just aren't cheap enough.

But why aren't we cheap enough? German manufacturers seem to be doing well yet German factory workers seem to be better off than their British counterparts and certainly enjoy better working conditions. Is it just that British bosses are too damn greedy?
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
alastairq wrote:
My [jaundiced] view?

But why aren't we cheap enough? German manufacturers seem to be doing well yet German factory workers seem to be better off than their British counterparts and certainly enjoy better working conditions. Is it just that British bosses are too damn greedy?

I think a lot of it has to do with the Marshall Plan. German motor manufacture was given a head start after the War and has not looked back.
Ashley

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we must be "cheap enough" because I believe Nissan’s Sunderland plant is their most efficient. We’re also back to making as many cars as we did at the peak of the seventies.

If anything we suffer from a lack of confidence from home investors, so most of our best companies tend to get bought by overseas companies.

It’s both easy and misinformed to suggests that bosses are greedy or overpaid. The truth is that their employment contracts are brutal and they’re paid on the basis of the results they achieve or booted out, but protected by employment law. They have to work much harder than most of us ever did to justify their earnings.

If you’re worried about excessive wages, greed and the rest of it, then look no further than the public sector where from the BBC to the Universities and local councils, they seem insane to me, especially as we’re forced to pay them.

Even ridiculously overpaid footballers are taking are only taking a share of honestly made profits.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if there is any real threat from Jaguar/LandRover to upticks if the Govt. doesn't get the deal that suits them? I am rather ambivalent regarding all the political shenanigans around Brexit and if May comes away with a bad deal I would imagine it will be as much the fault of the E.U, as her negotiating team. That said, if Tata pull out it would be interesting to see who buys their plants here.
Ashley

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
I wonder if there is any real threat from Jaguar/LandRover to upticks if the Govt. doesn't get the deal that suits them? I am rather ambivalent regarding all the political shenanigans around Brexit and if May comes away with a bad deal I would imagine it will be as much the fault of the E.U, as her negotiating team. That said, if Tata pull out it would be interesting to see who buys their plants here.

Agreed and the BBC as well as the Treasury are fanning the flames.

80% of our GDP comes from largely Tarrif free Service industry, the CBI members account for a smaller portion of the remaining 20% which is largely small businesses that are either indifferent or happy to leave.

Aeroplane bits are tarrif free and much of the car stuff is too, so they aren’t a large chunk of the overall picture and they won’t be affected much. They might even benefit, but they’re largely in cahoots with the EU machine and have mighty lobbying power. Jaguar Land Rover have been hard hit by the diesel scare storied and massive drops in sales in the U.K. They’re an Indian company and I think they’ll go regardless.

All in all I think the truth might be that it’s not a life or death decision, most of us will notice no great difference, but it is panicking the smug liberal elite and it might put a lot of civil servants on massive wages out of a job. I can live with that and not being talked down to by EU jobsworths.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible that - despite what we might imagine these high powered car company bosses should know - they are actually not in possession of the full facts? Many of these people are so enveloped in the business of building and marketing cars they may mistakenly believe that somehow they will be stopped from trading with European Countries if we are no longer members of the single market?

The other night I heard a Land Rover spokesman say they "needed access to the single market".. Of course they do - and no one is saying they will be denied access. The only difference will be if we leave the E.U without a free trade deal, they may have to pay some tariffs should the E.U. be so unwise as to impose them.

A price adjustment is not something that has frightened customers away in the past. You only have to look at the obscene price of a new Jag or Range Rover these days to realise that to most of their customers price is not a major barrier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: