classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

First or last?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: First or last? Reply with quote

Typically, a model in its final years is the most developed of the lot, but often it's the case that the early examples are the ones people really want.

Are there any cars long in production, where the final iteration(s) are more sought-after than the first, "Mk1" variants?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a tricky one, this. I can't help thinking that the Triumph GT6 Mk3 is so much better than the Mk1 that I can't imagine anyone preferring the earlier model. The early cars, due to their rear suspension set up, were frankly death traps - especially in the wet.!

The Mk2 was over complicated with regard to the Rotoflex rear suspension compared with the Mk3 that adopted the Spitfire Mk4 rear end so again the later car wins out over it's predecessor..

None of this prevents the Mk1 cars going for more money than is decent but personally I wouldn't have one as a gift.
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's impossible to generalise, especially regarding appearance. For example, the first Rover 2000s looked much better than the later ones that had those stupid "cam cover" dents in the bonnet but I think the MkII Jaguar is a better looking car than than the MkI. As regards mechanical robustness I think later cars are generally better than earlier ones.

Peter
badhuis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray White wrote:
It's a tricky one, this. I can't help thinking that the Triumph GT6 Mk3 is so much better than the Mk1 that I can't imagine anyone preferring the earlier model. The early cars, due to their rear suspension set up, were frankly death traps - especially in the wet.!

The Mk2 was over complicated with regard to the Rotoflex rear suspension compared with the Mk3 that adopted the Spitfire Mk4 rear end so again the later car wins out over it's predecessor..

None of this prevents the Mk1 cars going for more money than is decent but personally I wouldn't have one as a gift.

You forget styling. The Mk1 is so much more nicer to look at. And has all the better 60s detailing. For me that is a deal breaker. I would have a Mk1 any day over a Mk3, in fact I would never want a Mk3. Each to their own hey Very Happy
badhuis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally in my experience I prefer the early versions. Rootes Imp over a Chrysler Imp, Jaguar Mk1 over a Mk2 (love the more austere 50s look and dash/steering wheel). Hillman Minx.
Later versions often got cheapened down. Bumpers/overriders got simpler (Rootes 60s saloons). Interiors got more plastics.

Hard to find an example for which I would prefer the later version. Maybe the Jaguar XJS, they got better when they gained a bit of chrome on the bumpers and wood on the dash. Although the latest versions got worse again, colour coded bumpers Shocked
mikeC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny, almost invariably I would go for the earlier incarnation of a model, although accepting that the later version is probably the better car. But in the case of the GT6 (and Spitfire) I'm with Ray and actually prefer the style of the Mk3 (Mk4 Spitfire). The rear suspension changes don't bother me, I'd be quite happy with the original swing-axle on the Mk1, the Rotoflex Mk2 (and early Mk3) I agree is an unnecessary complication, but a swing-spring Mk3 can find a home in my garage any day!
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both my Riley One-Point-Fives are Mk111 versions, one of them among the last 200 made. Rightly or wrongly, I reckoned that by then some of the faults might have been ironed out - possibly...

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
kenpix

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Difficult one when it comes to the good ol' Cortina. Had a mk2 and a mk5 and liked them both in their own way. On balance it has to be the later one for me - for comfort, performance and reliability. Mind you I'd think seriously about swapping for a mk1 Lotus model Wink
Ray White

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenpix wrote:
Difficult one when it comes to the good ol' Cortina. Had a mk2 and a mk5 and liked them both in their own way. On balance it has to be the later one for me - for comfort, performance and reliability. Mind you I'd think seriously about swapping for a mk1 Lotus model Wink

I agree with you. However, if for a moment we set aside the totally brilliant Lotus Cortina. the one for me was the MK 5 V6 Crusader Ghia. Memory can play tricks but I seem to remember it most fondly. My Boss didn't like the way it drank fuel so I didn't have it for long. Sad
Ellis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ca speak with some experience on Jaguar Mark 2s and Triumph Stags.

The last year of Triumph Stag production resulted in the worst Stags that were ever made. For the final year of production British Leyland even fitted a smaller radiator to a car with an evil reputation for overheating. The ICI Vaumol seat covers were thin and soon showed signed of wear and the carpets were a cheap tufted nylon material. It is perhaps significant that some dealers still had stock in 1988. One dealer here in North Wales still had a Java Green automatic in February 1979.

The last Jaguar Mark 2s in 240 and 340 guise were cheapened in interior trim but in fact were very good cars and, sadly, neglected or overlooked even today.

The 340 gained a straight port E type head, proper Girling brakes in place of the woeful Dunlop items and you could still buy one with a 3.8 engine if you ad owned a 3.8 engined version previously. The engines were "S" type units with appropriate numbers. It was not called a "380" as many called it but a "340 3.8 litre". I always thought the slimmer front and rear bumpers as elegant rather than the armco version of the Mark 2s.

The final versions of the Mark 5 cortina were probably the best and the "run out" Crusader versions were nicely appointed.
My cousin's husband is restoring a late Ford Capri 1.6 Laser and it has a steel sliding sunroof, 5 speed gearbox and quality interior trim.

If you ever get the opportunity, take a close look at the last 1967 Ford Anglia 105Es. They had metallic paint and many options previously charged for.

1964 Jaguar Mark 2 3.4 litre
1962 Land Rover Series 2a 88"
2002 BMW M3 E46 Cabriolet
Miken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bullnose Morris is a popular car. I suspect some people might prefer to drive the last year of production version which featured brakes on the front wheels as opposed to all the other years (which didnt).
mikeC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bullnose Morris is an interesting one for me: I wouldn't really want a very early one - I'm thinking White & Poppe and Continental engined versions here - but an early 1920s version on beaded-edge wheels, even without front-wheel brakes, would probably be my choice - lighter and more delicate than the mid-1920s cars and a much nicer driving experience.
Keith D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that the bullnose radiator was replaced by the flat nose because of overheating problems. My 1927/8 flat nose Cowley has never boiled on me, even in a Western Australian summer.

Keith
1999 BMW Z3
Its weird being the same age as old people.
You are either part of the problem or part of the solution
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keith D wrote:
I understand that the bullnose radiator was replaced by the flat nose because of overheating problems. My 1927/8 flat nose Cowley has never boiled on me, even in a Western Australian summer.

Keith

I am not so sure. I read somewhere that it was more a case of the bullnose radiator being expensive to make and also looking old fashioned.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the model, which was in production in various forms for 14 years, I have the worst. It has uncomfortable seats, is very cramped and at 5' 8" I have the seat back as far as possible, it overheats, it has poor original brakes, atrocious headlights - do I need to go on? Yet it is the most collectible of the model; the flat floor 1961 E-type. Drive a S2 and you will marvel, but the styling had been lost, a bigger mouth to accommodate a bigger radiator with twin fans, bigger brakes, better lights, (although looking awful under the bumpers) and it is the most civilized of the E-types if you don't want the V12. Yet it doesn't ring the bell for most people. Who needs comfort?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: